IGNORED

GPS-What would you recommend?

Quickstep

Need to get a GPS for our trip over next year. It's going to be mounted on the '84 I purchased with utadventure's help. I don't want anything fancy....no bluetooth, phone, music--just a GPS!!

[Will be putting a J&M CB kit on the bike]

So what would everyone recommend I get? :think:

Alan, GPS's can be found on Ebay for cheap that will handle your needs. You have a lot of time before you need it, so just keep an eye out for something simple and then have it shipped to Dave. I bet that www.WOOT.com will have several offered between now and when you need it. That's where I've picked up a couple. MOF they just had one for $50 bucks a month ago, and it was basic but did the job.

I don't know if you have a GPS now but if you do why not just put the North American maps on it for your trip. If you don't have one... why not get a decent one (mototcycle specific with daylight readable screen) for the trip and take it home when done and put the Australian maps on it?

Here's one that I picked up about a year ago. It does the job. The only drawback is it doesn't display the MPH on the screen, but otherwise it works well. Wide Screen display, plus a very stout mount system.

OMNITECH

Told Alan about this one. The site says it's only eligible for "store pickup" Dang!! We would have bought this. What handlebar mount did you use?? for it

Told Alan about this one. The site says it's only eligible for "store pickup" Dang!! We would have bought this. What handlebar mount did you use?? for it

Tell ya what Annie. You and Alan can borrow the one I have. I'll go ahead and send it to Dave, and he can rig it on your bike. It just has a suction cup mount, but it's a whopper.... about twice as big as any other I've seen, and a heck of a lot stouter. They do make aftermarket mounts that might be more permanent if you'd like something to fit it to the riser. Let me know if you'd like to go that route.... pun intended... :)

I have the TOM TOM Rider 2 and love it. It is waterproof and is designed for the motorcycle. It coms with a scala rider headset ( although any blue tooth device will work with it) and Ram mounting hardware. Here is a link to the new tomtom rider

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/bike-navigation/

Edited by saddlebum

I dont really care about waterproof, a ziplock baggie will waterproof the bike in the rare rainstorm I get caught in.

What I found important was being able to read it in the daytime. 99% of all GPS's out there are useless in the daytime on a bike. Great in a car where you have a nice huge sunshade over your head.

When you go shopping for a GPS, bring a bright flashlight. if you cant read the gps while shining a flashlight at the screen you will not read it outside in the sun.

I have yet to find a GPS that is under $500.00 that has a screen that is usable on the motorcycle. Even the TomTom Go that is supposed to be for a Motorcycle has a useless screen in the sun.

Tell ya what Annie. You and Alan can borrow the one I have. I'll go ahead and send it to Dave, and he can rig it on your bike. It just has a suction cup mount, but it's a whopper.... about twice as big as any other I've seen, and a heck of a lot stouter. They do make aftermarket mounts that might be more permanent if you'd like something to fit it to the riser. Let me know if you'd like to go that route.... pun intended... :)

Sounds like a plan Jack--thanks.:thumbsup2: If Dave thinks we need the mount no problemo's. Would you believe I've never used a gps!! :doh: I'm an Old fart-just used maps and street directories, so should get interesting

Annie said to tell you that we will be traveling with a small apple laptop so is your hook up cable compatible?

Sounds like a plan Jack--thanks.:thumbsup2: If Dave thinks we need the mount no problemo's. Would you believe I've never used a gps!! :doh: I'm an Old fart-just used maps and street directories, so should get interesting

Annie said to tell you that we will be traveling with a small apple laptop so is your hook up cable compatible?

Nah, it's pretty basic, but it does have a CD with the manual and quick start instructions.... :) I'll get it sent off to Dave after the holidays, and he can work on getting it mounted up for ya... It's a wide touch screen and has 3D imaging. Once you get the hang of it you'll do fine... I'll go ahead and Email you a pfd manual so you can get an idea of what's going on.

Edited by Condor

I have a standard GPS, Garmin 205 I think, and I mounted it in one of these:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GPS032-Smartphone-Waterproof-Motorcycle/dp/B003FMUP0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291347512&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Arkon GPS032 GPS and Smartphone Waterproof Hard case with Bicycle and Motorcycle Mount (Black): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BR7EQ6GdL.@@AMEPARAM@@51%2BR7EQ6GdL[/ame]

works awesome, stay dry, cheap!, you can still use touch screen through the cover.

I have a standard GPS, Garmin 205 I think, and I mounted it in one of these:

Amazon.com: Arkon GPS032 GPS and Smartphone Waterproof Hard case with Bicycle and Motorcycle Mount (Black): Electronics

works awesome, stay dry, cheap!, you can still use touch screen through the cover.

That's a nice mount. Too bad they don't make one for the Garmin c550.....