IGNORED

Tools...

darthandy

When I bought this VR a few weeks ago, I noticed that it was missing the bag lliners and toolkit. The owner had bought it this way so he didn't have them. I can go to the nearest luggage store and get bags that should fit reasonably well, so that shouldn't be a big problem (Yes, I know...famous last words!). I am about to assemble a tool kit myself (Come to think of it, I had to do that for my Triumph too.) and I was wondering if there is anything special I should keep in mind? I'm thinking in terms of known problems that can be easily fixed on the roadside if you have the right tools...I mean other than a full tear down and rebuild! For instance, the pick up coil on the older Triumph's were supplied by different companies and one of them had somewhat poor quality, so the coil likes to die fairly early in its life. Replacing it on the side of the road is doable in about 20 min. or so if you have the proper Allen wrench. So ... anything like that to keep in mind for the VR? Thanks in adavance.

• replacement fuses...
  • 14 Gage wire - 6 to 8 feet or so..
  • assortment of wire connectors
  • electrical tape
  • tire plugs and related tools to clean and insert the plug
  • One can of fix a flat or 12 volt air pump
  • assortment of mixed metric screws and nuts, include some washers
  • Print out and carry the list of VR members who can help you in the areas you ride in.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/memberlist.php?&field12=2&order=asc&sort=location&pp=30&page=1

• Your Medical information....and emergency contact numbers

Edited by Eck

I don't know about everybody else, but I always make my own toolkit. The tools that come with the bike are usually pretty poor quality. Of course this only works if you've got bags of some kind because it will take up more space than is provided in the small tool kit storage on most bikes. Here's what I have in mine...

• 1/4 ratchet with 6 point metric sockets to size 12 + 3" & 6" extensions
  • open/box combo wrenches from 4 to 17
  • 8" crescent wrench
  • pliers (needle nose & standard)
  • metric allen wrench set
  • screwdriver with handle storage for multiple bits (lg. & sm. phillips, lg. & sm. flat and select hex sizes) along with a flexible extension.
  • air pressure gauge
  • hand-held flashlight (LED)
  • head-band flashlight (LED)
  • tire plug repair kit
  • electrical tape and a length of 16 gauge wire
  • multi-function tool (you know the kind that has a knife, saw, pliers, can opener, etc.)

It all fits into a small tool bag and I keep it tied down in the bottom of the off-side saddle bag. I also carry a small survival kit with a compass, signal mirror, binoculars, butane lighter, t.p., and water purification tablets. Ya just never know...

OK, thanks guys. I think that covers it. I had planned on most of what was suggested as I had already done that for my Triumph. Some I hadn't thought of, such as tire plugs and a small pump. That could be a lifesaver on a long trip if there's no shop nearby. I was more concerned with something that might be specific to the VR - you know, a left hand wound widget requiring a full flex 33 mm combo wrench/ratchet or the like. I had thought of a small 4 lb sledge, some bailing wire and a rock but then I remembered...I only carried those to help out the occasional Harley rider that I would see by the side of the road. They say those bikes are much better now though, so I've stopped carrying them! :mytruck1:

also triple a is a hell of a good idea.i did like the mention of the venture rider help in the area you plan on riding in. i may ad some emergency flares,and some kind of protection just in case god forbid. i just had a flat and sat on the side of the road for 3 1/2 hrs when know one stoped and had my wife with me,i'm not scared but you never know anymore!!!!

seems like youve alreaDY got plenty of responses fro tools. As fro the bags conyact beer30. He either makes or used to make bag liners for mthese bikes.

David

Beer 30 is swamped with military orders (as per usual).:thumbsup2: It took me almost 2 years, to get mine for the 83.

So consider, the gear for the troops has priority & it can take a long time, to get side projects done. :080402gudl_prv:

In other words, do not be in a rush for them.:2cents:

AAA don't do bikes.. As an organization they seem to be anti-bike IMHO

I bought the program from AAA that coovers motorcycles. It is the program that covers RV's. I haven't had the need to use it yet and I hope that if I ever do they don't let me down.

OK, thanks guys. I think that covers it. I had planned on most of what was suggested as I had already done that for my Triumph. Some I hadn't thought of, such as tire plugs and a small pump. That could be a lifesaver on a long trip if there's no shop nearby. I was more concerned with something that might be specific to the VR - you know, a left hand wound widget requiring a full flex 33 mm combo wrench/ratchet or the like. I had thought of a small 4 lb sledge, some bailing wire and a rock but then I remembered...I only carried those to help out the occasional Harley rider that I would see by the side of the road. They say those bikes are much better now though, so I've stopped carrying them! :mytruck1:

Don't forget the duct tape. lol

I also carry a small volt meter. Fits in your palm, from radio shack.

...I carry duct tape! Come on...I'm a guy.... I've seen all the Red Green episodes! Of course I haven't tried some of his experiments yet...I made the mistake of letting my wife watch an episode. Now when she sees me with duct tape, she starts following me around with a hockey stick...and she doesn't play hockey! Oh ... and of course I have CAA Plus coverage (Similar to AAA RV coverage in the U.S.) and even had to use it this summer when my Triumph battery died while waiting in line at customs to go to the U.S. Had to push the bike through customs...Oh joy! Fortunately, they have an arrangement with AAA and they sent someone to boost me. Then, when I got home, I had to find and fix my charging system problem. I will print that member list though..that seems like a great idea.

...I carry duct tape! Come on...I'm a guy.... I've seen all the Red Green episodes! Of course I haven't tried some of his experiments yet....

I don't, but I have some GUN Tape (military green)......

Did you see the "Mythbusters" duct tape special, that was an interesting one. :thumbsup2:

I don't, but I have some GUN Tape (military green)......

Did you see the "Mythbusters" duct tape special, that was an interesting one. :thumbsup2:

Yes, I did. Watching that Crown Vic go up with the tape holding it to the crane's cable was incredible. Even more incredible was the fact that it was the paint, not the tape, that finally let go. Say...I've got an old bike with a cracked frame...you don't suppose?