IGNORED

A Gift Beyond Price!

skydoc_17

A few weeks ago, KEN8143 (Ken Yoder) contacted me with a list of items he wanted to address on his 87'VR before he went on vacation. He also told me that he just purchased his very own Carbtune and wanted to try it out on his bike. Now Ken is one of my favorite people to have over for a visit and Jean has accused us, more than once of "having WAY to much fun" out in the garage! So when Ken stopped by, I was ready for him part wise.

Now one of the projects that Ken had on his list of "TO DO" items was to change his Valve Cover Gaskets. Needless to say, this is not a "fun" job, but in this case, it was way past needing done. Because you can't get a ratchet on the retaining bolts for the rear cylinder, the method I use is to pull up my roller chair and proceed to take the 8 bolts out with a 10MM boxed end wrench. To say that this takes some time is an understatement! Ken was on the other side of the bike and I heard him comment that, "there MUST be a better way to do this"! Then he muttered something else about, "having the patience of JOB"!

At that point, we started to talk about "special tools", and how I wish I could afford to purchase some for jobs just like this. I then explained that because of my surgeries, and the fact that I have not been able to return to work yet, I was grateful that I had a 10MM wrench to do this job with. Ken pretty much dropped the subject after that, but before he did, he looked me strait in the eye and said, "That Won't Do"!

We finished working on his bike, he did his OWN Carb. Sync. with his very own Carbtune,

and Jean prepared us a wonderful lunch. We talked and laughed and then Ken had to head home. After Ken and his wife had returned from their vacation, I received a PM saying that his bike averaged mid 40's MPG wise two up, the bike ran flawlessly, didn't leak a drop of oil, and overall, he had a great trip. I was happy for him, as I always am when a VR.ORG member gives me the privilege of working on their bikes. Earlier this week, I receive a package in the mail, and much to my surprise, I find enclosed a set of Craftsman Metric, Ratcheting Wrenches from Ken with a note thanking me for taking the time to help him with his bike. Because of the events that have happened to me this summer, and the fact that I have not been able to ride and visit with the members that I usually see in the summer, I have cherished my contact with the VR.ORG members that have been kind to Jean and myself. Needless to say, I got a bit "choked up" when I opened the package and saw this very thoughtful gift from a dear friend. So when Jean came into the office and saw me "choked up" it turned into an all out "blubber fest".

I know I have taken the long way around here to thank KEN8143 for his kindness and his fellowship. If you get a chance to share some pavement with this gent, it will not be wasted time.

Thank you, Ken my friend

Earl and Jean

Edited by skydoc_17
SPELLING!

Guest Ken8143
A few weeks ago, KEN8143 (Ken Yoder) contacted me with a list of items he wanted to address on his 87'VR before he went on vacation. He also told me that he just purchased his very own Carbtune and wanted to try it out on his bike. Now Ken is one of my favorite people to have over for a visit and Jean has accused us, more than once of "having WAY to much fun" out in the garage! So when Ken stopped by, I was ready for him part wise.

Now one of the projects that Ken had on his list of "TO DO" items was to change his Valve Cover Gaskets. Needless to say, this is not a "fun" job, but in this case, it was way past needing done. Because you can't get a ratchet on the retaining bolts for the rear cylinder, the method I use is to pull up my roller chair and proceed to take the 8 bolts out with a 10MM boxed end wrench. To say that this takes some time is an understatement! Ken was on the other side of the bike and I heard him comment that, "there MUST be a better way to do this"! Then he muttered something else about, "having the patience of JOB"!

At that point, we started to talk about "special tools", and how I wish I could afford to purchase some for jobs just like this. I then explained that because of my surgeries, and the fact that I have not been able to return to work yet, I was grateful that I had a 10MM wrench to do this job with. Ken pretty much dropped the subject after that, but before he did, he looked me strait in the eye and said, "That Won't Do"!

We finished working on his bike, he did his OWN Carb. Sync. with his very own Carbtune,

and Jean prepared us a wonderful lunch. We talked and laughed and then Ken had to head home. After Ken and his wife had returned from their vacation, I received a PM saying that his bike averaged mid 40's MPG wise two up, the bike ran flawlessly, didn't leak a drop of oil, and overall, he had a great trip. I was happy for him, as I always am when a VR.ORG member gives me the privilege of working on their bikes. Earlier this week, I receive a package in the mail, and much to my surprise, I find enclosed a set of Craftsman Metric, Ratcheting Wrenches from Ken with a note thanking me for taking the time to help him with his bike. Because of the events that have happened to me this summer, and the fact that I have not been able to ride and visit with the members that I usually see in the summer, I have cherished my contact with the VR.ORG members that have been kind to Jean and myself. Needless to say, I got a bit "choked up" when I opened the package and saw this very thoughtful gift from a dear friend. So when Jean came into the office and saw me "choked up" it turned into an all out "blubber fest".

I know I have taken the long way around here to thank KEN8143 for his kindness and his fellowship. If you get a chance to share some pavement with this gent, it will not be wasted time.

Thank you, Ken my friend

Earl and Jean

Aw, Earl - you are getting me all choked up here! You are a good man, a great friend to me and many other VR folks. You helped me out a ton - I helped you out a little. The least I could do.

Thanks for your kind words. It means a lot.

All I can say is that I have found most members of this site seem to be poured from the same mold..Earl, you have helped out so many people here and it has always been a pleasure to be around you and you better half...I hope you get a ton of use out of the tools you received...Now , it time for a group hug.........:yikes: :fnd_(16):

Hey Tom,

The New York "Posse" has always been very kind to Jean and myself! More than once you have opened up your hearts and your homes, shared your food, and your Ice Cream with this weary traveler from Pennsylvania. You Sir, are a "Group Hug" all by yourself! I have NEVER met a man that has such a commanding presence, a "mountain" of a man, but yet has such a gentile spirit, you are kind and thoughtful. A man with paws like a bear, but the touch of a child. You Sir, are an Enigma, wrapped in a Riddle. I have been on the receiving end of your kindness and generosity, and can't imagine how you do the job that you do for a living. You have my up most respect, and I am proud to call you my friend. The way that you and Taters "fuss" over each other is a role model that this world could use more of. The entire NY Posse is a great bunch of people, and You Tom, and Taters, are the "icing on the cake". (and brother, that's a LOT of icing!):whistling:

Earl and Jean

Hey Tom,

The New York "Posse" has always been very kind to Jean and myself! More than once you have opened up your hearts and your homes, shared your food, and your Ice Cream with this weary traveler from Pennsylvania. You Sir, are a "Group Hug" all by yourself! I have NEVER met a man that has such a commanding presence, a "mountain" of a man, but yet has such a gentile spirit, you are kind and thoughtful. A man with paws like a bear, but the touch of a child. You Sir, are an Enigma, wrapped in a Riddle. I have been on the receiving end of your kindness and generosity, and can't imagine how you do the job that you do for a living. You have my up most respect, and I am proud to call you my friend. The way that you and Taters "fuss" over each other is a role model that this world could use more of. The entire NY Posse is a great bunch of people, and You Tom, and Taters, are the "icing on the cake". (and brother, that's a LOT of icing!):whistling:

Earl and Jean

And the Riddle is " How much Ice Cream can one man hold???:whistling: