IGNORED

Buying a 2010 Goldwing Any Tips

Guest my14car

Guest my14car

Looking for some tips on things to have done prior to me signing for my 2010 Goldwing. I know once you sign and take possession, its all over has far as your barging power goes. Want to get what i can in writing before i sign on that dotted line. This my 1st Goldwing w/ Nav Pearl Yellow .

I currently ride a 05 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe great ride, but don't have all the bells and whistles. Open to any info.

Thanks

My14car:337:

What level bike are you getting?

Four months ago I totaled my 2007 RSV so two months ago I bought a 2010 Airbag Goldwing (aka level 4) for $24,100 but I have seen better deals sense then. I went to Pennsylvania to get the bike as no local dealerships would go lower that about $1,000 off of MSRP. I got $3,899 off of MSRP which buys a lot of safety chrome!!!!!!!!!!! I guess this dealer wanted to make a quick nickel instead of a slow dime.

Currently Honda is offering a 36 month loan for 0.99% interest. I think Honda wants to clear out the remaining bikes before releasing the 2012 model. I took the cash I was going to use to pay for the bike and paid off part of my mortgage this will save me quite a few dollars in interest. Thanks Honda!!!!!!!!

If you want it, DO NOT pay more than $499.00 for the Honda extended warranty.

If you want to install them yourself, most accessories can be had for a lot less than the dealership will sell them for.

The only complaint I have is the the bikes do not come with a factory installed CB.

Do you do you own maintenance? I do, so I purchased the factory service manual and it was a lifesaver showing me how to take off the "Tupperware".... To install the CB radio took me two days. I have not viewed them yet but there is also an aftermarket DVD set of maintenance videos, but they don't cover the Airbag bikes or I would probably have purchased a set.

To find more experts on the 1800cc Goldwing you might want to go to a Goldwing forum and ask your questions again over there. e.g.: GL1800riders.com

BTW venturerider.org is THE most friendly motorcycle forum on the Internet!!!!!!!!!!!! Too bad I don't own a RSV anymore. :(

Edited by KiteSquid

Get a good set of headsets,I use the J&M elite 584 but they now have the 629s, When using the radio set the ambience to high and it has great sound....Also it has a mute button for the radio....make sure it isnt off..I cussed mine big time as I couldnt hardly hear the music until I said.."What is this button that says mute" I had the volume all the way up and it like to have blew me off the bike when I releaseed the mute button.BTW going thru towns dont even downshift..it has power to pull away smoothly even with a trailer.If you ever need any more info you can get my number from profile although Im not an expert I MIGHT be able to help..Agree about the GL1800 site but its quite different than here...Lots of smarta$$ answers or remarks but there are some good people there that will help you also. This site here is wayyy more friendly.

.....the GL1800 site is quite different than here...Lots of smart a$$ answers or remarks but there are some good people there that will help you also.

This site here is wayyy more friendly.

Tom I agree whole heartedly with you about the GL1800 has some really tough commenting characters.

One can ask a simple question and be bombarded with some harsh comebacks that deeply hurt your feelings to where you want to just sign off and go looking some place else for an answer. Yes, there is some good technical information on their site but I have found other GW sites that offer the same technical info with out the smart comments.

I have never seen someone on this VR site give hurting comments to a question and hope I never do. This VR site is the most friendliest helpful site out there.

As for the new 2010 GW your looking to shortly take possession of, I would ask the Honda dealer to throw in a set of driving/ fog lights (installed), for the same price he is selling the bike to you for. You most likely already made the deal by the sounds of it, but if you haven't, then ask him to throw in the fog lights.. You won't believe the difference in lighting viability with the fog lights on the 1800.

First things I would buy for my new GW (when time $$ is right) would be:

• Fog lights
  • The 16 DVD repair/ maintenance set
  • Highway pegs
  • Back rest
  • GPS
  • MP3 player (plug & play)
  • Floorboards if you like floorboards
  • Heated clothing

Guest my14car

Just picked up my 2010 Goldwing Audio Comfort Navi Xm Pearl Yellow, what a great ride very happy. Was able to get a 1000 dollar credit on accessories. Got a great trade in on my 05 RSTD just need to get use to all the extras on the bike.

Big difference in the ride from my 05 RSTD, the wing seems to be a little tighter in the feet department and riding with my knees higher. But i am sure i will get use to it.Will be adding driver floorboards and highway pegs. Will be posting photos soon.

Thanks again for all your info :2133:

I love mine as well. Feels like a MUCH smaller machine when you're at low speeds OR when you're really "cooking" out on the road. It's my first Honda after many multiples of Yam, Suz, Kaw, Duc and BMW, and at this point I'm still VERY impressed and pleased. I've just had mine for a few weeks (and have been away from home for 4 of those so I couldn't ride!!) and I've already busted 2k miles. Mileage so far is a touch over 40 and that includes a good bit of high speed interstate miles. We've got N-43 helmets with J&M headsets and I put a set of Kury highway pegs and passenger armrests on it.

Congrats and enjoy your new ride!

Just picked up my 2010 Goldwing Audio Comfort Navi Xm Pearl Yellow, what a great ride very happy. Was able to get a 1000 dollar credit on accessories. Got a great trade in on my 05 RSTD just need to get use to all the extras on the bike.

Big difference in the ride from my 05 RSTD, the wing seems to be a little tighter in the feet department and riding with my knees higher. But i am sure i will get use to it.Will be adding driver floorboards and highway pegs. Will be posting photos soon.

Thanks again for all your info :2133:

One more thing...DO NOT COUNTERSTEER like you may be use to..It only takes a small twitch in the seat and brother it is laying into the curves big time.I countersteered a few times when mine was new and it will really react.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eck viewpost.gif

Yes, there is some good technical information on their site but I have found other GW sites that offer the same technical info with out the smart comments.

Could you please point me at those other sites, I would like to try them....

Yea me too. They can be a bit over bearing there, and you should check out the OT and hotbox if you think the regular forum is bad......