IGNORED

Has anybody tried the lifesaver TCB yet?

Guest Zachtcb

You did not throw me off, I simply did not pay attention!! I have the Speedway valve ordered........went to the Napa Store and got a tap, and some banjo washers.......called your Cycle shop left them a message, evidently they are closed on Mondays. Thanks for the photos of the brake calipers.....if this step is required, I will order a right and left part and assemble them....get the right size pistons and all that. Again thank for all the help.

Hey Master Plumber, how much do you charge your Customers per Hour ??

Don't spend that much Money on new Calipers ...

These Calipers are very commonly used on Yammi Bikes and you can buy Tons of it by Ebay for very cheap Money.

and btw .... please don't used copper Seal Washers. Aluminium is the right Material. Best Size is 10x16x2 mm.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KitCarson
Hey Master Plumber, how much do you charge your Customers per Hour ??

Don't spend that much Money on new Calipers ...

These Calipers are very commonly used on Yammi Bikes and you can buy Tons of it by Ebay for very cheap Money.

and btw .... please don't used copper Seal Washers. Aluminium is the right Material. Best Size is 10x16x2 mm.

I Charge 85 dollars an hour.

I tried to buy some letters for my mustang on E-bay one time, I got kicked off and they will not let me come back!!

I like copper, it is much more shiny..........as for corrosion between different metals and electrolosis, maybe......will last longer than me.

I have not had my screws tightened today:rotfl::rotfl::stirthepot:.

Now acting up aside......I will use aluminum washers, that is what is on the factory bike......so I did figure there was a reason for that.

I have Barons 4-2-4 pipes ordered also, so I will pick a Monday and take the mufflers and saddlebags all off, and do the brake mod at that time also. Thanks for the size, I just took my old banjo bolt with me and got the ones that fit that, they are aluminum. Hopefully with the TCB installed, and the proportioning valve to cut the volume down....might not be a need to change the calipers as if the TCB is given a chance to work without being overpowered.......well we will just have to wait and see, at this point I do not want to speculate.

Thanks for the E-Bay suggestion........I would buy something such as a gas tank.....saddlebag.........decal.........but when it comes to brakes, and maybe my life or worse get my wife hurt........I will rely on genuine Yamaha parts......not that those on E-bay are not.......but have gotten stuff that is counterfeit from that place before. Take Care

Guest KitCarson
gawd but you're a "magical" person!

:sign20:

Okay I surrender:rotfl::rotfl:I was wondering just how you would answer that one...........your mind is quicker than mine, I will have to be careful:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KitCarson
Kit,

Rocket hit it on the head with getting the caliper to bleed by taking it off the bracket and let it hang with the valve at the top. But since I had 2 calipers at hand, I played with them and took 2 and made one with the bleed valve at the top. But I had to also releave the outer bracket to accomodate the different sized pistons that were now switched.

Now on the valve, I'm not sure if you found it, but it's at the following link:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1979,9_Compact-Adjustable-Proportioning-Valve.html?itemNo=Proportioning%20Valve

But when I received this valve I was rather puzzled on how I would attach it to the master cylinder. The valve came with two 1/8” NPT brass fittings designed to mate with flared metal lines from a car. But as I was playing around with a fitting that came with my Galfer lines to mate with the master cylinder, I saw that with these brass fittings taken out the taped hole was almost identical to a 10mm X 1.00 pitch male fitting. In other words, it would start to screw in, but only so far because these were pipe threads and therefore tapered. So after checking the thread match from the NPT brass fitting to my 10mm X 1.00 Galfer fitting, I decided to re-tap these NPT threads for a 10mm 1.00 pitch which went just fine. But the threads were not an exact match so I chose to use banjo bolt copper washers to insure a complete seal at the fitting, and this worked.

I have attached a picture of a Wilwood valve showing both the input and output line fittings (with copper banjo washers), the original brass 1/8” NPT adapter and a 10mm X 1.0 pitch tap. I used 2 Galfer line fittings where the input side is 1/8” (28h Gas) on the left side and 10mm X 1.25 pitch on the right side which mates to the output from the master cylinder. These 1/8” fittings are straight threads which very closely match the 10mm X 1.00 threads. But the Speedway valve works much nicer in that it's a more compact valve that is a straight through design.

If you need any help on doing this I can do with what I did with Don and a couple of other guys....order the valve and line, and tap the valve and assemble it together so you can just bolt it up. But if you have the metric taps you can do it yourself. I get the line from CycleBrakes.com (800) 805-2118. Just tell them you want the line and 2 adapters that Rick Butler has a standing order for.

Let me know if you need anything else,

Rick

Hey Rick........I finally got some things in the mail.....I have recieved the brake line and banjo bolt......and one adapter. The adapter fits on one side the new brake line......where the swivel nut fits right unto the adapter.......the other end of the adapter may or may not be tapered 1/8 inch pipe thread...appears to be either that or for a flare fitting. I have on hand the small compact proportioning valve also which has no adapters, just two open tapped holes of 1/8 inch both sides..........

My question........what size adapters do I need.......putting on stock bike , stock master cylinder.....do have the 10mm by 1.0 tap on hand...... If one end of the proportioning valve will thread unto the adapter on the existing master cylinder........cool........if not........can run to Napa and come up with them most likely...........Thanks Kit

Guest KitCarson
Rick and Kit, I am watching this thread closely. Thanks for all of the great information.
First off.....any or all of you who wish to do this brake mod.......I would suggest to save time to contact Rick and have him fix it up for you, then all you will have to do it hook one end to the master cylinder and route the brake line and hook that to the caliper....give him a tip!! It will be worth it!!

Orrin I have all but one part lying on the kitchen table, I have the proportioning valve all tapped and the holes for the safety wire done.....all ready to go.......thing is I was not shipped the double 10 mm male adapter........have been to Napa......the hydraulic tractor place where I get hoses made for the backhoe.......metric stuff..........hum.....so anyway about noon my time, when they open up in CA. I will call and have them send me the other adapter. May take a week to get it......the actual job will take about 45 minutes........also had a drawback with my Baron 4-2-4 pipes......they put them on backorder......finally got them, but they did not ship any bolts or the bracket that they use to hook up to the existing yamaha mounting bracket..........that is what I really want to get done!! I can tell they will sound great.......heavy prefect chrome too........got to call them around noon also...........getting closer.......nother week or so.....then need a warm afternoon to go play, see where we need to set the valve at , then safety wire it down. Kit

I think what I will do for next year is get Rick Butler's proportioning valve rig and install it along with the Lifesave tcb valve. Kit I am going to let you try both together 'cause I really think you are a much better rider than me.

My take a long bike trip next year and might even go your direction or there abouts. Be fun to meet some other riders of Ventures.

By the way Kit, I looked at your picture...you ugly...not as ugly as me...but still ugly.

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Guest KitCarson
I think what I will do for next year is get Rick Butler's proportioning valve rig and install it along with the Lifesave tcb valve. Kit I am going to let you try both together 'cause I really think you are a much better rider than me.

My take a long bike trip next year and might even go your direction or there abouts. Be fun to meet some other riders of Ventures.

By the way Kit, I looked at your picture...you ugly...not as ugly as me...but still ugly.

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I was just sitting here minding my own business and now my feelings have been hurt!! Well at least the girls think I am cute!! If you do wish to ride this far.........our house is always open to any biker. We have a large house and six acres, can park a lot of bikes in the yard!! :bighug: Maybe I will change my hair style........do still have some:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::sign20:

I am just lookin for feed back. Have anybody received and installed the part yet? If so, how do you like it? I have to say that this part works wonders on the fronts. The reason is weight transfer. This part will not completely eliminate lock up. Just a much more controllable situation.

Regards Zach

Waiting to order mine Zach, sent you an email today, indicating which ones that I want.

Guest KitCarson

I suppose I should finish this thread out, got a little side tracked waiting on parts and some of these fellows and myself love to mess around, so if you are reading this in a serious manner......we are serious about our bikes, some of us just love life too.

Okay the TCB is it any real advantage or is it just a shock absorber that causes a spongy feel in the brake system? I can honestly say the device helps the front braking system. Does it prevent lock up of the front wheel, no it does not.......is it a justifiable safety device.........I think not for the average person. If an average person reads the information about this device, they are going to run out and install one and the first time they use the front brakes hard......they will slide the front wheel out from under them just like normal, at high speed. At high speeds.......and with the laws of physics in play.......higher forces are involved and the front wheel will burn rubber pretty easy........now at speeds under 40 miles per hour.....with the orange device installed on these bikes.....you can really see the advantage.......but only at these speeds. It does allow enough of an expansion in the fluid to smooth out and modulate the braking......you can pretty much stop with no slip at these speeds......and it is difficult to pull the brake lever hard enough to lock the wheel up at these speeds.

As for the rear brakes and the TCB.......it has no effect....none.....not a bit.......there is not enough expansion in the device when related to this bike to gain any advanage. I have used one in companion to Rick Butlers great invention and it does tend to give you a tiny bit of advantage in the fact it does smooth out the brakes a bit more.

For an experienced rider, who does practice, and takes the time to learn the capacity of these devices, yes they are another tool to gain a small advantage........for the average rider.....I see no real advantage, in an emergency and when you are scared, and the adrenalin is pumping, these devices do not gain you any advantage other than I have stated. If you can control yourself enough to get the bike down to 40 mph, then they will certainly help you....at real high speeds......they will not.

Respectfully Kit