IGNORED

Windshield mod done

I just finished cutting my stock windshield and it was way easier than I thought it would be. I bought my RSV about 2 weeks ago and picked it up at about 2000 and rode home in the dark. It really worried me not being able to see out of the windshield very well. I searched the forum and learned that I am not the only one concerned with this. I took about 3.5 inches off the shield and love the new look. I have yet to test ride yet but dont forsee any problems. I also got my windshield bags delivered today and if I must say I really like the look of them. I did notice that the windscreen coating peeled when I removed the masking tape after the cut job. I read the forums for solutions and tried duct tape as suggested but this became a pain. I went into wifes closet and found a lint roller. This worked like a charm I was very pleased but had to strip layers of tape from roller after every pass. I used about half the rollers tape but my wife will never know (SHHHH). I am also very please to announce that I am officailly a supporting member of this wonderful site. Thanks for all the great info.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h444/vegastruckee/SAM_0628.jpg

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h444/vegastruckee/SAM_0632.jpg

That looks really neat, nice lines BUT aren't you opening yourself to a lot of wind buffeting ?

I cut about 4in off of my stock sheild, and yes, there is a bit more wind, but after about getting in to a head on with a truck in the rain, I would rather have the wind, besides if I didn`t want any wind in my face I would drive a car.. just sayin.

Rode the bike to work this morning and I must say it was not as bad as I expected. The wind was a little more noticeable but very very bearable. Ill have to get the wife on the back to see what she thinks. I will probably buy a full size windshield for long trips and keep this one on for One up riding and in town stuff. The bags are pressure mounted :smile5: I loosened the windshield and the back of the bags pushed down behind screen and retightened. It is really really secure and if it comes out I think I have other problems. Thanks all

Rode the bike to work this morning and I must say it was not as bad as I expected. The wind was a little more noticeable but very very bearable. Ill have to get the wife on the back to see what she thinks. I will probably buy a full size windshield for long trips and keep this one on for One up riding and in town stuff. The bags are pressure mounted :smile5: I loosened the windshield and the back of the bags pushed down behind screen and retightened. It is really really secure and if it comes out I think I have other problems. Thanks all

Welcome to the site and "well done" on your windshield redo. I like the cut you gave it leaving more material up in the corners. New blood usually comes out with great new ideas sometimes. I'm buying a new tall shield soon but will keep the old one for trying out your cut. BTW, our son lives in Summerlin, Vegas and can't wait to back out there again. Nice area but the heat does get pretty intense on the summer.

I was at my local dealership yesterday for a front tire mount and balance job and got a few minutes to walk around their showroom. There I saw a 2008 Venture with a small windshield that about 4 or 5 inches tall - the bike is For Sale too. ;) I thought it was a good idea to have a short windshield, if one prefer to have more wind in the face. I think it is nicely done, to say the least.

As to your windshield, I notice the two top corners are a little sharp to my taste. Perhaps, smooth out those corners for safety sake. What do you think?

I was looking at the corners of the shield too thinking they may be a little sharp but I drew out a line that I thought looked good and this is what I came up with. I sanded for quite a bit to get it all smooth but I MAY continue sanding just to take the edge off a bit more, I do hope that the corner of my windscreen never becomes an issue. As I see it my (new to me) RSV is a living object that will continually grow and change as I do, this was just step one of many to come....:mo money:

I cut about 4in off of my stock sheild, and yes, there is a bit more wind, but after about getting in to a head on with a truck in the rain, I would rather have the wind, besides if I didn`t want any wind in my face I would drive a car.. just sayin.

hee hee hee :smile5:

point taken :thumbsup: