IGNORED

Were there any improvements to the Venture over the last ten years?

Humbucker

I just read this article:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/touring_motorcycles_comparison/index.html

"finicky handling when loaded, poor braking power." Was one comment.

It looks like this article was trying out the first year that the new Ventures came out, way back in 1999. In this article, they complained quite a bit about the Venture's handling when loaded down, the other two bikes in the comparo faired better in this dept. They also complained about the brakes.

Did Yamaha iron out these bugs (if they did exist) after the first year of production? Maybe part of the handling problems were due to tire issues?

They bragged up the Harley's storage but from what I can tell, the Venture comes in at the exact same amount of storage capacity but more of it is found in the saddlebags and less in the trunk but it carries the same total amount as the Harley. Actually, it's better to have more of the weight low anyway.

Little changes.

Trunk mount fixed, I think new type antena mount.

Handles poorly if you are not used to it. Once you get the feel for it there is no stopping you. But it will always be a bit of a pig in the parking lot.

There are adjustments to the rear end or front end to make the handling a little better. Levelling links raise the rear a little and make a big differance. Lowering the front end does the same I think.

A slightly smaller tire (narrower) will change the handling as well.

I went to levelling links and didnt like it at all...went back to stock.

I have heard that the smaller tire is not so great when towing a trailer...dont know.

But practise practise practis and the bike is fine...for me and as you can see...many others here.

Keep those cassettes though as Yamaha still thinks there is a market for that technology!

But at least there is a port for you to plug in a ipod or something. Dont waste money on the cd player as it is expensive and takes up room in your trunk or saddlebag.

This is a great bike though with the major tech problem being a weak rear shock. The five year warranty sure helps.

"finicky handling when loaded, poor braking power." Was one comment.

Thought that is a strange comment as the rear brake on this beast is way too big. Be careful because you can lock the rear wheel when you REALLY don't want to. (Read up on "high siding")

As for handling, it is a matter of opinion, but I let the front of mine down 1" so that, IMHO, it handles WAY better at slow speed. I've not noticed any adverse effect at high speeds.

sarges46:

"Keep those cassettes though as Yamaha still thinks there is a market for that technology!":D Too funny!

It's too bad that Yamaha couldn't have just gutted that tape deck area of the dash and done something else with that space. Cassettes were basically behind the times way before 1999, when the new Venture was first released. What were they thinking?

Oh well, no biggie, just hook up an iPod.

"the major tech problem being a weak rear shock."

What's the problem with the rear shock?If the OEM rear shock is underwhelming, can you upgrade with a good after-market shock?wes0778:

So that rear brake has a pretty decent bite does it? It's good to hear what you guys think and not only going by what an eleven year old article said. Thanks!

sarges46:

"Keep those cassettes though as Yamaha still thinks there is a market for that technology!":D Too funny!

It's too bad that Yamaha couldn't have just gutted that tape deck area of the dash and done something else with that space. Cassettes were basically behind the times way before 1999, when the new Venture was first released. What were they thinking?

I still use the cassette deck, It holds my MP3 Player real well. :stirthepot:

I went to levelling links and didnt like it at all...went back to stock.

I have heard that the smaller tire is not so great when towing a trailer...dont know.

Rick... curious to know what you didn't like after installing the levelling links.

I have the smaller front tire and the bike handled great hauling the trailer around. Seemed as tho the trailer helped "stabilize" the bike some ... I found I could crank a tight turn in a parking lot even easier than without the trailer. Out on the highway ... no problem. Other than noticing a difference in acceleration power, it was as if the trailer wasn't there....and we had that sukkah LOADED!

"Were there any improvements to the Venture over the last 10 years?"

shoot... I've only had mine for 2 years and I've made quite a few improvements.... just imagine the improvements me or most guys will do to it in 10 years of ownership..... :rotf:

There were a lot of articles written over the years comparing the Venture with other bikes. A few were heavily slanted toward the Harley or the Gold Wing but in most the Venture compares very favorably. There are some where the Venture comes out on top. Point is it is all subjective. Of course it is not as nimble as our old Honda 350. So I continue to practice my parking lot skills whenever time permits. That said my Venture handles every bit as good as our Ultra Glide Classic and I don't have any trouble in the parking lot or in start-stop traffic. I even enjoy showing the bike off in parking lots on occasion.

I hear a lot of people don't like the CB but I like it, a lot. It is much easier for bike to bike communication than hand signals. Especially if you get separated in traffic. Since all of the guys I ride with have them I use it almost every time I ride. The six CD changer is much more convenient than a single CD (Harley). While I don't use an mp3 I could plug one into the auxiliary jack. And yes I still have cassettes. Cassettes by the way will fit in your pocket. Just saying. Accessories are available for those so inclined. So you can make it your own. Every time I ride mine I like it better.

Mike

The OEM tires were Bridgestones or Dunlop 404's. There are better handling tires. Stock front tire is a 150 width. The 150 gives you a nice smooth ride on the highway, a 130 is more maneuverable. I expect the 150 gives slightly better braking in a panic stop. If you can grab the stock brakes so tight they lock up a 150, I'm not sure what's to improve other than going to ABS.

There is an after market rear shock with better load handling, and rebuildability from Works.

The stator output is marginal if you put on passing lights, after market lights, and other electrical equipment like heated seats and grips. An upgraded stator and rectifier is available.

Clutch seems to start slipping for many riders after 30,000 miles or so. Its an inexpensive do-it-yourself fix that takes an hour or so to resolve with new springs.

Handling? Well, you can lean it over until the floorboards drag. I usually try not to let that happen, but the bike will follow the line if you have decent tires on it. Its not a sports bike, but neither is a Harley.

The rear brake pads wear unevenly, most owners rotate the inner and outer pads when replacing the rear tire, some maybe twice per rear tire. Takes 5 minutes to do.

Get a Carbon-One lift adapter to use with a motorcycle jack to make working on the machine easier, assuming you will do your own maintenance.

The only improvements I've seen is to reinforce the trunk. I've noticed little changes in rubber covers and things like that but no improvements. Just change the color every year and since the 2000MM the color changes would not be an improvement but a detriment.

There is one very important change made in the Venture. In 2002 they made the Royal Star MIDNIGHT Venture. This is reportedly been described as the fastest and sleekest of all the 2nd gen. Ventures. I can attest to this, since being the owner of one of these fine machines.

:farmer:

There is one very important change made in the Venture. In 2002 they made the Royal Star MIDNIGHT Venture. This is reportedly been described as the fastest and sleekest of all the 2nd gen. Ventures. I can attest to this, since being the owner of one of these fine machines.

Another obvious UN-BIASED opinion ... which I agree with since I too am un-biased ... :D

Rick... curious to know what you didn't like after installing the levelling links.

I have the smaller front tire and the bike handled great hauling the trailer around. Seemed as tho the trailer helped "stabilize" the bike some ... I found I could crank a tight turn in a parking lot even easier than without the trailer. Out on the highway ... no problem. Other than noticing a difference in acceleration power, it was as if the trailer wasn't there....and we had that sukkah LOADED!

I found it way to "loose" for me. Even Marilyn said that when she watched me it looked like I was a little out of control and somewhat scared. I found I couldnt get around the curves in a smooth line and was jerking it if you know what I mean. Yes, I did tighten the steering head. When I said way back, that I duck walked the dragon last year....well...that was pretty close to the truth! It was awfull for me. And yes, I did dump my bike that trip as well but that was because of a number of things not linked to the levelling links.

After returning to "normal" I found I could do my curves again without jerking it. Coming to a stop was not longer an adventure!

Remember this is me and I am glad that those who have and like em continue to ride like the wind. It wasnt for me. Stock is good for me.

I was going to try the smaller tire but after hearing some say it was a little wobbly towing a trailer I decided that I will leave things as they are. I can ride the thing fine...it just took a little practise.

When I said way back, that I duck walked the dragon last year....well...that was pretty close to the truth! It was awfull for me.

After returning to "normal" I found I could do my curves again without jerking it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I've never ridden the "Dragon" but we have lots of tight, twisty, mountain roads around these parts .... I've found that with the 130 tire on the front, I can handle them a lot easier and a lot faster than when the 150 was on. Similarly, I have much more "ease of control" in slow speed parking lot-style turns. The only thing I don't like about having the 130 on is the straight, "super slab" as some call it ... the bike seems to want to "jump" from one position to another... I call it "squirrelly". ... and this seems to happen most when the parallel highs and lows of the road surface are more pronounced such as the lane the heavy trucks use most, etc. Seems to feel as though the ass-end of the bike keeps slipping side-to-side and/or the front end.

I'm planning on replacing the front with a 150 and installing the levelling links prior to next riding season.... that is of course, if I don't go thru with buying a Wing or something else.