IGNORED

Crickett is going to the Doctor tomorrow!!!

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson
So now I have read all the postings from frt to back.

What was the final out come with Yamaha? What about the whine and what can we expect them to do to fix it.

2006 Midnight Venture 4000 miles and a very heavy whine.

No one knows the final outcome..that will be realized tomorrow. I will know a whole lot more after tomorrow. There is a real difference between a gear whine and the chirp or as some say the screech. The gear whine will always be there, is not really to me or to most a problem. The chirp on the other hand is an erratic high pitched annoying noise that gets worse as the engine and block assembly gets up to and past normal operating temp. I want to get the chirp fixed for many reasons......mainly at the moment it is quite interesting to me.

as for the whine.........I will take care of that part of it..with Baron Pipes.

Will know more tomorrow. Kit

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kit,

I sincerely appreciate your very kind words!

Kudos to you for stepping-up and following through. Not only are you going to get this resolved correctly for yourself (regardless of the outcome!), you are likely creating the opportunity for many others to benefit from this situation as well.

Good for you...

Terry

A big company has several upper management areas. The fellow I am dealing with, he deals with service issues with the bikes......I am sure he could influence sales......this forum is sometimes dangerous!!! I have a gut instinct about where the venture is going....and why ........and why some still have this problem.......but not absolutely sure......want to ask a few more questions......learn a little more.....do not want to open that kettle just yet. Kit
i predicted awhile back where the venture is going.the new v-max , when it is introduced will be the test bed for the new motor.followed by a totally new 1800 fuel injected venture from the ground up.it will have a detuned v-max engine, aluminum frame, goldwing type styling,all the latest bells and whistles,abs,with an ultra deluxe model,better handling,lower seating,etc.,and be in the $20,000 dollar bracket like the wing.i think the new max would have been out for 08 ,but must have some bugs to iron out.the 2nd gen is biding it's time.i think yamaha still wants to grab the touring market,they just want to get it right this time.the star line is probably the best marketing gimick that has ever been tried.they have sold thousands of star motorcycles because of it.great move for yamaha.think they are working on getting everything right.never seen a perfect motorcycle yet they all have pitfalls.my biggest complaint is seats.have you ever had to replace a seat in a car you buy cuz it was'nt comfy.bill :2133:

If you want to keep your relationship with the Yamaha people on a good note..............DO NOT LET MUFFINMAN AND BEER30 anywhere near them, thats asking for big trouble...........:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

If it would help in any way , Muffinman and I could possibly ride down , sit with ya and we both can try to help you behave . We are good at that !:rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

BEER30

Guest KitCarson
i predicted awhile back where the venture is going.the new v-max , when it is introduced will be the test bed for the new motor.followed by a totally new 1800 fuel injected venture from the ground up.it will have a detuned v-max engine, aluminum frame, goldwing type styling,all the latest bells and whistles,abs,with an ultra deluxe model,better handling,lower seating,etc.,and be in the $20,000 dollar bracket like the wing.i think the new max would have been out for 08 ,but must have some bugs to iron out.the 2nd gen is biding it's time.i think yamaha still wants to grab the touring market,they just want to get it right this time.the star line is probably the best marketing gimick that has ever been tried.they have sold thousands of star motorcycles because of it.great move for yamaha.think they are working on getting everything right.never seen a perfect motorcycle yet they all have pitfalls.my biggest complaint is seats.have you ever had to replace a seat in a car you buy cuz it was'nt comfy.bill :2133:
Hi old man(Bill) Yes those seats!! I had a Suzuki Intruder......I loved that bike.....but those seats....I tried several different ones....no luck........that was a good run around town bike. But ride it 8 hours......time for a two day rest!! The Harley seats are cheap and uncomfortable stock........I think they simply assume you are going to change them. I do like the new 2nd Gen seats.......so far so good, but I do not have back problems like some people do, do not even care for a back rest........Sandy loves the passenger seat...that was another reason I decided to keep the Venture.....she loves the back seat.....now in hot weather that we just got rid of.....the venture seat can compress some and get a little uncomfortable......I figured I would get one of those beaded car things......with the bigger roller beads......cut it down..dye them black, will most likely do that next summer. Seat are a tough subject looking at it seriously......no one seat or set up can hope to suit everyone....we are all made different......I love the stock handlebar reach and height on the Venture also......some might hate it or worse have to lean forward

Yea those seats.......some feel like a pile of rocks on a long trip!! Take Care Kit

Guest KitCarson
If you want to keep your relationship with the Yamaha people on a good note..............DO NOT LET MUFFINMAN AND BEER30 anywhere near them, thats asking for big trouble...........:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:
I will only admit this once.......I kinda like them.....the friendship that seems to form this group. There is something unique about all this......and the forum, I think it is because some of us have learned to enjoy life and not be worry warts.

I bet we would get into trouble though:rotfl::rotfl:Going to be a long boring wait.....3-4 hours I will think....we could steal the rear drive off one of the new raiders and see if it will fit on Jeff's front wheel.....yep long wait.....and a cool trip up.....but really looking forward to the trip back......72 degrees......sun out ,,,,not too cool, not too hot...I suppose I will finally find my house this evening......Kit

Kit, thanks for the kind words. When you politely be persistant, and keep track of who, when, and what...good things happen. Too many times we get excited and over react, then people become resistant. You did well!

I am patiently waiting to hear the results of your trip to the "doctor".

Guest KitCarson

First as several of you have wrote to me, and told me that your dealer has told you Yamaha will not work on your bike, that is nonsense!!! That is the dealer! Yamaha is closed today, I assure you I will call Luke Monday morning and thank him for all his help. At that time I will discuss with him some of this and if I can post his number on the site. I simply do not know all this at the moment and do wish to keep the relationship on a professional level. I will know about that Monday.

After freezing half to death and stopping for coffee twice to warm up in only 90 miles I arrived at Alpha Motor Sports in Rock Hill, South Carolina. I was greeted with a smile and a handshake.....I was 30 minutes early but they were ready for me. Yes I know I was having some problems with the dealer also, but one call from Luke and they will call you back. And hey, I am easy to get along with, just stubborn! And learned a long time ago to smile and get along. Everyone was polite and cordial....I asked if they had any coffee......no.....but sent one of the guys off to get me a cup....I was cold!!

Crickett was opened up and a different clutch basket was installed, then the bike was put on the Dyno........took apart and another basket installed......the rear drive checked.......the shaft checked and all that kind of thing.......put back on the Dyno and the fellow said this is as good as normal gets. Crickett was taken for a ride......then I took her for a ride.....

So the chirp is gone......what they do is match baskets till they get one to mesh with a close tolerance(Eddie if yours was fixed but came back-I would think the gear teeth have worn and now your tolerance is again too far apart, only takes a tiny bit. ) In any event that annoying chirp at between 35 and 50 is gone....and what I would call the screech at speeds of 70 or more is gone. In fact coming back down the interstate I was really for once enjoying the interstate....the bike was in its prime..running strong at 80mph and all you can hear is the hum of the motor and the soft put-put of the stock exhaust. I like it.......I am happy, sure am!! And yes my license tag was hand delivered to me this morning!!!

Now let me say this.......I have heard some of you say yes I got my new basket......and my bike is 75 percent better.......I agree with this somewhat......but let me explain, there is a great big difference in the chirp and the normal gear whine that is the character of this machine. The gear whine will never, never, ever go away....and I am afraid some of you are mistaking the gear whine for the chirp. Crickett had both.....if you had the chirp.....I do think you would know it.......it is pretty bad!

I still have the normal gear whine from about 25 mph up to 38 to 42 mph in third gear, and in fourth if you shift too soon....but other than that....even that is gone....at speeds past 50mph and in the right gear and rpm range.....Crickett is now silent. I just wanted to say this....so all of you know....you will always have some gear whine.....sorry.....just life...normal with these machines.....Yamaha can and will help you with the chirp....cannot help you with gear whine.......not without spending millions in re-tooling and re-design.

In any event I wish to thank the Dealer in Rock Hill for pulling it together and helping me out....I really do appreciate it....and I have told them so.......and I will call Yamaha Monday during normal working hours....give them time to get that 9 a.m. meeting done and call and ask the proper way to go about getting some help for some of you. Yamaha will help you out........if you hear some other nonsense from some dealer....Yep thats what it is Nonsense!!!

I hope I said all this right......I am tired.....did not want to come home....was such a pretty afternoon.......I even broke my own rule and rode till about an hour after dark.....Take Care Kit

Guest KitCarson
Hang unto that thought.....I pretty much agree with you....but I am tired tonight......will elaborate later. Kit

Okay I am recuperated.......I have no proof...no basis of fact.......just a common sense instinct about this. I have dealt with this bike and dealers and people who know this bike almost every day for the last three months......Yamaha has been putting all their money and research into the big 1900 motor. This is the big air cooled Twin. All their advertisement is for the Star line. The Venture .....been awhile since I seen any advertisement or promotion for it. My bike is a 2007......the new 2008 venture looks identical down to the last bolt. The situation with the gear whine and clutch basket issue to solve would take millions of dollars in re-tooling and re-design. I do not see them doing this...what I see is more and more new things added to the big 1900......and more advertisement. I really do not know how the eye appeal design would be......but common sense and what is going on......seems to be very strongly hinting.....it will be the big Twin. Kit

Guest KitCarson
It looks like Crickett's corrective surgery was successful and that daddy and baby are both doing fine. And to think, Kit, you almost gave her up for adoption...

:whistling:

Congratulations!

Terry

Yes thank you. The V-4 is nice. :thumbsup:

Guest KitCarson
Did he say anything about the whinning that comes from the back, above the seat level? Not that I have it, I have a smooth running 1st gen, but I have heard some talk about it and was just wondering.

I have never heard any whining like that......I do think something is loose above the seat though as it hits me in the back of the head sometimes, it can pinch too!!:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::sign20: Kit

Kit, I've been following your adventure with Crickett with great interest since we have the same bike. (year and model)

FreezyRider explained the chirp noise in such a way that even I could understand. :)

So far, so good with my bike. I hope this repair stays true and you can finally enjoy your bike without the irritating noise.

Bob

Guest KitCarson
Kit, I've been following your adventure with Crickett with great interest since we have the same bike. (year and model)

FreezyRider explained the chirp noise in such a way that even I could understand. :)

So far, so good with my bike. I hope this repair stays true and you can finally enjoy your bike without the irritating noise.

Bob

Thanks.......glad you got a good one....some are........mine was actually manufactured in 2006, in October sometime.......maybe.......hopefully they did some of this at the factory with later models. Kit

kit, i don't think it will be the big twin.reason being to much vibration and an archaic design.great for a cruiser but very bad for a tourer of the future.they're putting to much money into the r&d on the new v-max engine just to drop it into a slow seller like the max.the 1800 four detuned will be the cats meow for a new ground up design yamaha tourer. air cooled ,shaking , noisy,inefficient ,archaic design, big twin,just can't see it for the top of the line tourer.not to mention with the air cooling, long stroke, high piston speed ,and tremendous rod bearing loading ,i don't think the big twin will go that far between overhauls.lt will be lucky to make it 100,000 miles.from an engineering and good investment standpoint i think it will be the v-4.bill

Guest KitCarson
kit, i don't think it will be the big twin.reason being to much vibration and an archaic design.great for a cruiser but very bad for a tourer of the future.they're putting to much money into the r&d on the new v-max engine just to drop it into a slow seller like the max.the 1800 four detuned will be the cats meow for a new ground up design yamaha tourer. air cooled ,shaking , noisy,inefficient ,archaic design, big twin,just can't see it for the top of the line tourer.not to mention with the air cooling, long stroke, high piston speed ,and tremendous rod bearing loading ,i don't think the big twin will go that far between overhauls.lt will be lucky to make it 100,000 miles.from an engineering and good investment standpoint i think it will be the v-4.bill

Could be..........fun to wonder though........for sure no one is talking!! But the one thing I will go out on a limb and say for sure.......the current Venture is a goner......nothing has changed.......no money is being spent to re-tool and re-design it........I sometimes look at the bike magazines.....have not seen a Venture advertised since when?? I my self only knew of it as I brought one back to Columbia for a friend two years ago, if I had not done that, I would not have went looking for one. I hope it is good on the eye......if the new one is like the Wing........I hope they have lots of clutch baskets and parts......as I will just keep Crickett forever. The Venture is a pretty bike.......to me the wing looks like a rolling box....no tradition........no fun.........too many gadgets....but that is just me....I still like a Harley with short drag pipes... Kit

Glad the fix was quick and painless at the dealership.

Hope you and the wife enjoy many miles and smiles on your Quiet Cricket.

Because of all the speculation, we're now taking a couple steps back and a closer look at Yamaha's big 1900 twin. If indeed that's going to be thier future flagship, we're going to make sure their air cooling works before we walk away from the V-4. Doing our homework and research now with an expanded line-up.

This forum is probably the best on the planet, not because of any particular bike; But because of the people here. Great people...

Hey Kit, glad you got some satisfaction!! Wish all this would do me any good as mine is a 99 and is out of warranty but, at certain speeds, in certain gears it can become quite annoying. I just try to stay out of those gears at those speeds...:rotf:

Guest KitCarson
Hey Kit, glad you got some satisfaction!! Wish all this would do me any good as mine is a 99 and is out of warranty but, at certain speeds, in certain gears it can become quite annoying. I just try to stay out of those gears at those speeds...:rotf:
Yes.......at certain speeds.....you do have and will always have gear whine.......the chirp tended to be at all speeds some....worse between 30 and 50 on mine and again from 70 mph on up......in fact at that speed it was a screech!! The somewhat high pitched gear whine that on a normal running bike..not that this should be normal, but seems to be on these...I think will always be there.......mine will still do that part of it from about 25 to just a tad over 40.....the speedo is not all that accurate......and I do not have a tach installed.........but now at idle at the stop lights I can actually hear the valves working on top of the motor....at speeds over 50 in the right gear.......still for me usually in third at that point....it just goes away.......I played with that a lot on the way home...I hardly ever get into 4th gear till about 55.....and fifth gear.......will be at least 65.....and sometimes forget to even shift into it. I usually do not even use it till I am on the interstate.....and can see absolutely no difference in gas mileage.

But I have the cure for the gear whine on the way.......just ordered Barons

4-2-4 slip ons.......Now we are getting there......a modulator for the front......louder pipes to announce my presence and to have fun with...............I have a preacher who lives next to me, they remind me of Jim and Tammy Baker........they are a complete picture of them.....drive fancy cars........Early Sunday morning fire those boys up and go out the drive in first gear.......!!:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:they will for sure cure the remaining gear whine!!. I wanted to resolve the clutch basket issue....for many reasons.......first I was totally exasperated with the dealers and all the nonsense they put out.......the way they put you off......make you wait and wait......full of excuses.....actually they do not really know what to do most of the time.....so they try to get you to go away. Some of them are very nice.......help you.......tell you this or that....but you never see any results:sign20: So was determined to do what I could and hopefully will be able to help someone who has this situation also and can get no results from a dealer.......will be working on that end of it more first of next week. Kit

One thing also.......we should really not be too hard on the dealers........there are always two sides to every coin. Yamaha will help you with the chirp........in fact will respond instantly........but this issue is not like replacing a fuel pump......or fixing an oil leak......it takes several baskets.......trial and error..........for this one.........so when dealer says.......like they did to me.....we will change your basket one time.....that is it.....you can drive it and if you do not like it....we will re-install your old basket......usually the new basket will simply move your sound this is actually true from their viewpoint, they are trying........just do not have the knowledge to really bring the best resolution possible to the stituation......so it is a two sided coin. And it takes Yamaha to help support the dealer.....to call them and instruct them what to do...even bring in a mechanic from another dealer if need be........so yep sometimes it takes wading through some puddles to get results...........Kit

Guest KitCarson
He'd better ! Or he will start hearing another type of Whining !:whistling::whistling::whistling:

BEER30

I just marked December 30 on my Calender.....that is a aways off......do not know exactly what will happen that time of year, or what I might have to do for Nicole who may be on college break that time of year.......but if at all possible I am going to make the Zoo on Dec 30. Weather might be kinda chilly and I am now a true southerner!! With thin blood, I like to froze to death yesterday on the run to Rock Hill it was 36 degrees when I left the house. But sitting in the garage is this bright red Jeep Cherokee that hardly ever gets started.....Would like to bring Nicole also.......we will just have to wait and see......when that time is closer. I for sure would like to go see the zoo. Nicole is home this weekend......she just told me she will be here that day......and would like to go.......so as it stands Yep.......kinda looks like it. But I think maybe in the Jeep. Kit