IGNORED

Where to buy shock?

I can't take it anymore. My 2001 RSV needs a new rear shock badly. I see a Works shock on ebay for $689. Is there any place cheaper?

I am really not interested in an OEM replacement due to their very short lives, but if one could be had for half of a Works shock, I would be tempted. Any other alternative air shocks?

I can't take it anymore. My 2001 RSV needs a new rear shock badly. I see a Works shock on ebay for $689. Is there any place cheaper?

I am really not interested in an OEM replacement due to their very short lives, but if one could be had for half of a Works shock, I would be tempted. Any other alternative air shocks?

As from what I understand, currently there is only Works & OEM. The Works is re-buildable.

hi ken

rick butler had a write up in the tech section about the groan. you neen a 1/2 oz. of 40 weight fork oil and a 1/2 oz. auto tranny fluid. pull the vale stem out of the top of the shock and inject this mixture in the hole, that the vale stem came out. i have done this twice once with the bike on the kick stand. and once with the bike on a m/c lift. it helped with the groaning noise. reguards

don c.

hi ken

rick butler had a write up in the tech section about the groan. you neen a 1/2 oz. of 40 weight fork oil and a 1/2 oz. auto tranny fluid. pull the vale stem out of the top of the shock and inject this mixture in the hole, that the vale stem came out. i have done this twice once with the bike on the kick stand. and once with the bike on a m/c lift. it helped with the groaning noise. reguards

don c.

Thanks Don I'll try that.

If you can swing it, I HIGHLY recommend the Works Shock. Just put one on my 2000 RSV in May, 2010. The difference is unmistakable. Yes, it's expensive (I bought it right from the manufacturer for the same price they sell for on EBAY), but like someone else said, they can be rebuilt when they go bad. Hopefully that won't be nearly as expensive if/when that day ever comes. At this point, I don't think I'd be interested in another rear OEM shock at all. I've gone through two of them in the three years I've owned the bike. Also, I think I remember that someone on this forum has recently stated that Progressive Suspension is considering coming out with a rear shock for these bikes. I don't know who that was, but I think I remember reading that it may be available as early as this fall. Good luck in your search. Don

For the 'works performance' shock, their e-bay store is just like ordering it through them. Your best bet is to call it in, just to make sure it gets done CORRECTLY the first time. Then be prepared to wait. It took me over 2 months to get mine, despite their '2-6 week' advertised wait time... Yes, it is expensive - but so is replacing the OEM shock with another OEM shock MORE THAN ONE TIME.

If you'd like to go with an OEM shock, part shark has them for 430.38 +S/H.

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1345192&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2010&fveh=37804

But again, think about it: 2 OEM shocks = 860+... :happy34:

Don't hesitate to do some searching on our very own VR site; you can find all sorts of good info on this topic too.

:080402gudl_prv:

If you can swing it, I HIGHLY recommend the Works Shock. Just put one on my 2000 RSV in May, 2010. The difference is unmistakable. Yes, it's expensive (I bought it right from the manufacturer for the same price they sell for on EBAY), but like someone else said, they can be rebuilt when they go bad. Hopefully that won't be nearly as expensive if/when that day ever comes. At this point, I don't think I'd be interested in another rear OEM shock at all. I've gone through two of them in the three years I've owned the bike. Also, I think I remember that someone on this forum has recently stated that Progressive Suspension is considering coming out with a rear shock for these bikes. I don't know who that was, but I think I remember reading that it may be available as early as this fall. Good luck in your search. Don

I asked when I ordered and they said about $100 to rebuild. They expect no less than 40K miles in a street bike.

I have had my RSMV since 2001 and have never had a problem with the rear shock. Does anyone have an idea as to why the fail? I have over 132,000 miles without a problem. I have always tried to keep forty psi in air pressure. I have had the front rebuilt with gold emulators which work very well.

:farmer:

Guest tx2sturgis
I asked when I ordered and they said about $100 to rebuild. They expect no less than 40K miles in a street bike.

I wonder what the 'turn-around' time would be on that. Having to wait 4-6 (or more!) weeks during prime riding season would NOT be an option for me.

Did they say what the warranty is like? (time/miles)

I wonder what the 'turn-around' time would be on that. Having to wait 4-6 (or more!) weeks during prime riding season would NOT be an option for me.

Did they say what the warranty is like? (time/miles)

- 30 day 'performance guarantee' -- meaning if you are not happy with the ride they will rebuild it; customer pays shipping to them for this service (I called about mine because I felt it was a bit too stiff and the guy I talked to said that there was nothing they could do for me... so who knows)

- 1 year 'parts and workmanship' -- Meaning if it fails they will rebuild it/replace it for only the cost of shipping to them.

- 30 day 'performance guarantee' -- meaning if you are not happy with the ride they will rebuild it; customer pays shipping to them for this service (I called about mine because I felt it was a bit too stiff and the guy I talked to said that there was nothing they could do for me... so who knows)

- 1 year 'parts and workmanship' -- Meaning if it fails they will rebuild it/replace it for only the cost of shipping to them.

You couldn't adjust preload, compression, and rebound enough to suit you? With all the adjustment options, I would think it could be made to suit about anyone as long as the spring allowed it. We shall see.

I have had my RSMV since 2001 and have never had a problem with the rear shock. Does anyone have an idea as to why the fail? I have over 132,000 miles without a problem. I have always tried to keep forty psi in air pressure. I have had the front rebuilt with gold emulators which work very well.

:farmer:

You know, I didn't think my shock was bad until I dropped the pressure to under 20. That's when I found out there was no hydraulic dampening and it was evil in bumpy corners. At 35 or above, it is rideable, but still gets hinky (unsettled) in bump corners.

You couldn't adjust preload, compression, and rebound enough to suit you? With all the adjustment options, I would think it could be made to suit about anyone as long as the spring allowed it. We shall see.

I have messed with it a little bit but still haven't found something I am real happy with (EXCEPT for when the bike isn't fully loaded - then, and only then, does it ride like I think it should).

There were some other issues that I had with it; the ride quality was one of a few reasons as to why I called them.

I just hope you have and will have better customer service than I did (which I can't imagine will be much of a stretch), a shock that actually fits when you [finally] receive it, you receive it within the 2-6 week time frame they give you and that you are satisfied with the ride once you do get it on.

Don't get me wrong, it seems that most of the posts that I have read about these shocks have been very positive; I guess if there was an alternative choice, and I had to replace one in the future, this company would not be my first choice.

• 2 weeks later...
I have messed with it a little bit but still haven't found something I am real happy with (EXCEPT for when the bike isn't fully loaded - then, and only then, does it ride like I think it should).

There were some other issues that I had with it; the ride quality was one of a few reasons as to why I called them.

I just hope you have and will have better customer service than I did (which I can't imagine will be much of a stretch), a shock that actually fits when you [finally] receive it, you receive it within the 2-6 week time frame they give you and that you are satisfied with the ride once you do get it on.

Don't get me wrong, it seems that most of the posts that I have read about these shocks have been very positive; I guess if there was an alternative choice, and I had to replace one in the future, this company would not be my first choice.

Has anyone contacted EPM Performance, and checked out their shock. They claim to have a shock for the Venture. Part number YSS model 506-255TR. It sells for $500.00

Has anyone contacted EPM Performance, and checked out their shock. They claim to have a shock for the Venture. Part number YSS model 506-255TR. It sells for $500.00

I did when I was shopping around for mine and was not impressed at all. I believe we have (at least one member) that went ahead and ordered one from them but here's what happened when I contacted them.

1) Sent e-mail describing year, make and model of my bike and I asked if they had a shock for our bikes (it was not listed in their parts cataloge, or whatever)

2) Received e-mail back a few days later saying that yes they had one 'in stock' but needed me to remove my shock, send it in to them along with the measurements and specs of the current shock and then they could send me their new one for the 500 + Shipping.

3) I e-mailed to clarify that they had it 'in stock' but needed my old shock, measurements, specs and whatnot BEFORE I received the shock.

4) I received a very short e-mail back saying yes.

5) I returned the e-mail saying thanks but not thanks. I decided for 500 bucks I wasn't about to be a guinea pig.

Your mileage may vary as they have had 8 months now...

:confused24:

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Installed the Works shock today. It would be nice if the shock was oriented so the heigth adjustment nut was on the bottom. I don't think I can adjust it without pulling the battery box. Install wasn't that difficult, but it did require some jacking and rejacking to align all the holes. The old shock is covered with oil/gunk/sludge. Never saw a drip on the floor, but it is most definitely bad.

Didn't ride today, so no opinion on that count. I will post more thoughts after my commute tomorrow.

Didn't ride today, so no opinion on that count. I will post more thoughts after my commute tomorrow.

Just a short commute ride today, but enough to know this is a heck of an improvement. As delivered, seemed a little stiff when solo, probably would have been fine two-up. Backed off 4 'clicks' and that was too soft. I'll add two back in before the ride to work in the AM and expect that will be about perfect. If you like a really soft, mushy ride, this might not be for you. But if you like a firm, controlled feel, then this could be your shock.

• 2 months later...

Not sure, as I just got mine yesterday and haven`t got it mounted yet, but it did come with a spanner wrench and a Allen wrench.... let ya know when I get it mounted..

So how difficult is it to adjust, do you need a special tool? Do you have to take anything apart to make adjustments to it? Thanks for any info. Ron:confused07:

Not sure, as I just got mine yesterday and haven`t got it mounted yet, but it did come with a spanner wrench and a Allen wrench.... let ya know when I get it mounted..

I'd really appreciate that, I've thought of going to this shock, but being able to adjust the shock in seconds with the air pump is nice. My last bike was a Honda ST1300 and the damping adjustment on that was a hydraulic dial so I've been spoiled. Ron:thumbsup2:

• 2 months later...

My shock has just started leaking oil at 60,000 km (36,000 miles). I have decided to order the Works Shock. I notice on their e-bay add they want to know "Length of shock you require". Anyone know what they are after - free length when shock removed? Length when still attached to bike - this would be difficult to measure and would vary with load etc. How have others who have ordered this shock dealt with this question. I don't want to remove the shock just to measure the free length and have to go through the removal process again when the replacement arrives.

My shock has just started leaking oil at 60,000 km (36,000 miles). I have decided to order the Works Shock. I notice on their e-bay add they want to know "Length of shock you require". Anyone know what they are after - free length when shock removed? Length when still attached to bike - this would be difficult to measure and would vary with load etc. How have others who have ordered this shock dealt with this question. I don't want to remove the shock just to measure the free length and have to go through the removal process again when the replacement arrives.

Best thing to do is contact the guy directly and inquire everything you need to know.. they were super great in helping me with the initial set up of the shock.. They set the spring and rebound as best they can from the info you give them (your weight, one up or two up etc).. Once you get the shock, you install it and then fine adjust it based on sag weight while sitting on the bike.. (something like that, I did mine in Dec during a blizzard..;)

I had the bike out today and WOW... though just a short jaunt to burn the cob webs off the bike, the ride was smooth and sweet.. wow.. Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I'll be taking it out for a run on the highway in 40'F weather to see how she handles..

Instead of spending the money on another Yamaha shock that might fail, best to get a Works shock that will work better.. and can be serviced should it wear out.