IGNORED

Sea Foam vs. Black Exhaust Soot

Hey Gang! My 1987 Venture Royale is running better than ever! I think I finally got the carb overflow leak problem resolved. The bike is strong and smooth and I can honestly say for the first time I can begin to understand why these bikes are so beloved.

Anyway, I wanted the groups' input on something I'm noticing. First, a little background. My 1987 Venture was purchased this spring with only 7700 miles. Carbs were rebuilt and it's had is share of Sea Foam run through it in the last 5 months. I've put about 2000 miles on it so far. The power is good and the mileage is between 38-40 and that's with myself and wife totaling about 380 lbs. (My wife is small, Ha!) Anyway, I'm noticing a little black soot coming out of the exhaust when I first start it. My first thought was perhaps I was burning a little oil but I've been watching the oil level and it doesn't appear to be moving at all. Could this soot just be a 23 years of muck purging itself? Should I continue to use periodic Sea Foam or am I seeing a new potential problem.

As always, your thoughts are appreciated!

Bill

Black is fuel, white is oil. You're probably runing on the rich side like you're supposed to when first starting with the choke on. The choke is a fuel inricher. I wouldn't be too concerned, as long as there isn't a big soot build up on the muffler tips. The choke is doing what it's designed to do.....

Hey Bill,

I have the 87'VR myself, and I hope you have as many enjoyable miles on yours, as I have on mine.

One of the things that Seafoam will do in the fuel system is to wash the carbon deposits off of the valves and combustion chambers. Once the deposits have been dislodged, they exit the engine thru the exhaust system. Over time, these deposits should decrease. The best thing you can do for this bike now is to "ride it like you just robbed a bank!" Keep the RPM's up and don't "chug around" in 5th gear at 50 miles per hour. Alternate tanks of fuel with no Seafoam with tanks of fuel with only a few ounces of Seafoam. When you are done riding for the season, dose the last tank of fuel with Seafoam and be sure to allow the Seafoamed fuel to run thru the Carbs., then put in on the center stand, attach the battery tender, Push your nose against the window in your livingroom, and wait for spring!:rotfl::crackup::rotf:That's what we do here in Pennsylvania!:snow2:

Earl

Hey Bill,

I have the 87'VR myself, and I hope you have as many enjoyable miles on yours, as I have on mine.

One of the things that Seafoam will do in the fuel system is to wash the carbon deposits off of the valves and combustion chambers. Once the deposits have been dislodged, they exit the engine thru the exhaust system. Over time, these deposits should decrease. The best thing you can do for this bike now is to "ride it like you just robbed a bank!" Keep the RPM's up and don't "chug around" in 5th gear at 50 miles per hour. Alternate tanks of fuel with no Seafoam with tanks of fuel with only a few ounces of Seafoam. When you are done riding for the season, dose the last tank of fuel with Seafoam and be sure to allow the Seafoamed fuel to run thru the Carbs., then put in on the center stand, attach the battery tender, Push your nose against the window in your livingroom, and wait for spring!:rotfl::crackup::rotf:That's what we do here in Pennsylvania!:snow2:

Earl

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::bawling::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Hey Bill,

Earl

"When you are done for the riding season" :confused07: What's a riding season? :confused24:

In SC, we say y'all oughta just come on down and ride year 'round. :Laugh:

From the sounds of it unless the odo has gone over once , this bike sat a lot. Any engine that sits alot tends to smoke a bit. This goes away as the engine sees more regular use. Don't be afraid to work the engine (and I don't mean abuse it). When an engine is made to work the rings are forced outward against the piston walls and reseat themselves.