IGNORED

Quickstep Has an '84 in the US!!

utadventure

Picked up an '84 Venture for Quickstep and Aussie Annie's trip to the US next year. I rode it the 135 miles home and the motor and gear worked perfect so we can do the necessary repair work to have it ready to go.

Then the adventure began...

We stopped at the Wally Mart in Richfield, Ut to do a few things. Because the speedo is broken, I went to mount a bracket to hold my GPS so I'd know the speed I was traveling. The bracket caught the edge of the penny that was glued on the clutch master cylinder and Jan asked me what was leaking? Oh Crap!! OK, into the store again, screwdrivers, super-glue, adjustable wrench and start the repair. Next thing I knew I'm holding part of the clutch lever...what the??? After a couple of attempts to fix that problem (BTW, you can't steal the brake lever from the other side) Jan suggests we try one of the crimpy pliers (translation: vise grips). What a great idea. By power shifting wherever possible, rode the bike the rest of the way home.

I just kept up this traffic, didn't care how fast I was going.

Now we go to work. If anyone has parts that can help make this a great bike again...we are in need of:

Speedometer

Right Mirror

We have a little bit to work with but will need to do some plastic repair, paint and a fork rebuild.

We look forward to getting to know Quickstep and Aussie Annie next year at the VR International Rally in Cody and as they travel around.

Dave

How do you know that you need a speedometer? Have you determined that the cable is working and the speedometer is not? It is not uncommon for these speedometers to be damaged due to not being lubricated correctly, but the same problem can damage the cable.

RandyA

I haven't checked the cable yet but the needle is laying in the bottom of the speedo and the PO heard a pop when it stopped working.

Dave

Thanks for that Margaret.

I already have the black plastic box the CB fits into for my bike, and I recently got Wes0778 control unit - so have the CB button working on that too.

Will have more funds in the new year -- so will purchase what we need then.

Have you ever wished time to go so fast!!

On the CB for Alan's 1stGen. Since the bike is a standard with a bunch of room on the right side panel, pick up an aftermarket fixed mount off Ebay. Nothing fancy, just as long as it's a 40ch model with good audio. They come fairly small and should slide right under the grips. On Annie's 2Gen, I've seen those listed on Ebay too. I bet within the next 9 months one or two will appear, and as long as she has everything wired it's a plug and play.

COBRA 19DXIV 40 Channel

I also found these:

CB RADIO FOR MOTORCYCLE

Edited by Condor

I have the speedo and right mirror ready to ship. Haven't found the clutch lever...yet...

Have a couple of sight lenses as well. OM me with any other needs. I may have a CB for a MK1 as well...

Thanks!! Doug has a lever in Orem and so does Paul. Don't spend anymore time looking.

I appreciate everyones help and I will continue to post or PM any additional needs as the bike progresses.

BTW Annie, what color does Alan like?

Dave

On the CB for Alan's 1stGen. Since the bike is a standard with a bunch of room on the right side panel, pick up an aftermarket fixed mount off Ebay. Nothing fancy, just as long as it's a 40ch model with good audio. They come fairly small and should slide right under the grips. On Annie's 2Gen, I've seen those listed on Ebay too. I bet within the next 9 months one or two will appear, and as long as she has everything wired it's a plug and play.

COBRA 19DXIV 40 Channel

I also found these:

CB RADIO FOR MOTORCYCLE

I'm with Jack here too on this one, get a small 40 channel and mount it up. The entire bike would have to have a new wiring harness set up for a CB radio.

Dave....Thanks for your efforts bud, sounds like a nice little project for you this winter :thumbsup2:

Thanks!! Doug has a lever in Orem and so does Paul. Don't spend anymore time looking.

I appreciate everyones help and I will continue to post or PM any additional needs as the bike progresses.

BTW Annie, what color does Alan like?

Dave

Funny you should ask that. I told him it was blue, and blue one's go faster!! He said "Nah, I want a red one!" :bang head: So pick a color-any color :doh: Maybe there's a sale on purple paint :rotf::rotf:

COBRA 19DXIV 40 Channel

I also found these:

CB RADIO FOR MOTORCYCLE

Thanks for that :thumbsup2: If I purchase one of these units for my bike what's the best way of mounting it ?

Funny you should ask that. I told him it was blue, and blue one's go faster!! He said "Nah, I want a red one!" :bang head: So pick a color-any color :doh: Maybe there's a sale on purple paint :rotf::rotf:

We have some maroon left over from my son's bike. I'll just mix in some white until we have enough for the bike.....does he like light red? LOL :smile5: