IGNORED

I drowned my Stebel Nautilus Horn

petekadish

We just got back from a 12-day, 5,000 mile trip from Utah to Canada down the PCH and back to Utah. Everything about the trip was completely awesome - except for the rain we experienced in Canada. Oh my gosh! We were rained on for about 10 hours (500+ miles), and that just drowned my Stebel Nautilus horn.

So, this evening while researching another Stebel replacement, I discovered an all black one called the NAUTILUS COMPACT TUNING BLACK. This looks like an improved finish over the poor-quality plastic chrome coating which my current Nautilus has. From a few reviews I have found, the Compact Tuning version might also be a little louder. My question is ..., does anyone have experience with (specifically) the Nautilus Compact Tuning model? Also, I am looking for the best price to find one of these. The vendor where I purchased my Stebel Nautilus, doesn't appear to carry their horns anymore.

I am aware that there are many similar and less expensive alternatives to the Stebel brand horns and that they are easy to find at local auto parts stores, etc. However, I am still looking for info on this specific horn is anyone can offer me any personal eperience reviews or recommendations on where to find a Stebel Nautilus Compact Tuning Black model.

Thanks guys & Be Safe!

Pete.

We just got back from a 12-day, 5,000 mile trip from Utah to Canada down the PCH and back to Utah. Everything about the trip was completely awesome - except for the rain we experienced in Canada. Oh my gosh! We were rained on for about 10 hours (500+ miles), and that just drowned my Stebel Nautilus horn.

Pete.

Would you mind clarifying just what you mean by "drowned" the horn?

I have ridden WAY more than 500 miles in frog-strangling conditions - including several single stretches of close to 1,000 miles where the rain and road spray were so bad that many cars were pulling off, and I have never had one bit of problem with the Stebel and Wolo horns mounted in the place of the stock rear horn. HOWEVER - the first one I mounted I was not particularly careful about how I positioned the relay, and that DID give me a problem. It was easy to just tie-strap the normal black plastic relay to the wire bundle behind the horn, and without a lot of thinking, I positioned it with the connections generally facing up (keeping the terminals away from the metal engine parts). The first day that I spent about 10 hours straight in the rain killed the relay - got lots of water and dirt in there and just corroded the whole thing.

I now mount the relay inside the right battery cover - just tie-strapped in the upper right corner next to the carb heater thermal sensor with the terminals down - never had a single problem there.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

My Stebel is mounted pretty similar (if not exactly like yours is). I also use CarbonOne's Adapter.

What I mean by Drowned is, that on a one through ten scale of horn loudness and tonality, mine is now about 0.5.

I too have ridden with this horn through every conceivable type of weather with my current horn for years now. And, until last week's Canadian baptism, the horn always sounded fine. It really has performed admirably and I have been happy with it - when it worked anyway. It very well could be a connection issue which a little dielectric grease might fix. Or, something else which requires a little more careful inspection. I'll poke around with it this weekend.

My other reason for wanting to check-out the Nautilus Compact Tuning Air Horn, is that I like the look of the finish more than the standard Nautilus with the plastic chrome.

Check this out: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDesc=N&PhotoURL=/photos/SNCT-BLACK.jpg

So, if the Compact Tuning Air Horn looks better than my old horn, and it sounds at least as good (if not even better), than the standard Nautilus, then I think that I will order one.

The most simple test is to just grab a piece of heavy wire and touch one end to the battery + and the other to the + terminal on the horn. That will tell you instantly if it is a horn problem or a wire problem.:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Unless the horn doesn't go off AND the problem is on the ground side of the wiring. To be conclusive, complete the circuit right back to the battery (to the appropriate terminal of course).

Other items to check would be the intake air passage on the horn - make sure it is clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to order a new Stebel Nautilus Compact-Tuning horn. Yeah, it cost too much but it sounds great and like the black finish on this new one a lot more than the chromed-plastic of my old one. Plus, during the change-over yesterday, I discovered that it wasn't the horn which went out after all, but the relay switch. It's a good thing that the new horn came with a new relay switch.

The only difference that I can find about the difference between the Standard Nautilus horn and the Compact Tuning model, is that the new model is supposed to be a little more water resistant, a better finish, and it also has a small diameter rubber hose for the air input to the compressor. I assume that helps to keep water from getting in to the diaphragm.

Be Safe!

Pete.