IGNORED

This is TICKING me OFF !

BEER30

For the last 4 evenings, Cable internet has dropped. Leaving me all alone in the twilight zone , No cyberspace either. Thank Goodness for my Droid.

By tethering it to the laptop, at least I have connection. For those on the Droid network , download PDANet from the Market Place. It make it possible to get the Net for emergencies and travel. And it's Free and FAST too !

BEER30 via the Driod/Laptop

I presume you've paid for unlimited edge connections (internet data service) for your Droid?

That I did. Buddy of mine wanted a Driod for phone use only. They would not sale him one unless he signed up for the Data Plan. I'm still on the ALLtel plan by the way. No restrictions of gig's used.

BEER30

OK...I'm not 100% sure what PDAnet does. They also have one for the Blackberry. Do I need it though? The Blackberry can already be tethered and use the 3G network for an internet connection to my computer. What more does the PDAnet do?

Well , let's say that I do not have to call my provider to say "Charge Me"! Free version on the AnDroid Market Place. All other phones I had , I had to get the service provider to download the app. for me or guide me to url to download.Then I had to either purchase the plan or call them on they dollar a day plan with Alltel. Just about all phones will tether now, but if you already have the data plan , I pay no more than regular service data plan.

BEER30

Hey Gene, You still have the 5gb a month limit on the data plan ?

I'm still on ALLtel , so it's still unlimited until they somehow hornswoggal me into a full Verizon contract. I was fortunate enough that my BB under ALLTel went bust 3 times within a year, and with other issues as well that I talked them into replacing my BB with a Droid and remain on my ALLtel plan. They were reluctant enough to want me to switch to Verizon , but I told them after being a customer of nearly 16 years with ALLtel , I would drop them and preach to the Choir of there nonsense. Needless to say , I got MY WAY. Lucky me !

Go over to the Droid forum. They have many topics about the PDANet. Only thing they can say is there might be something written in your Service Agreement with your provider about this matter. Some say as long as you do not abuse the 5 g and throw up red flags your OK. My Service Agreement does not state limitations , nor the fact that I can't use a modem manager of a third party. My Verizon/Alltel manager told me about PDANet and that he uses it all the time. Even Ver/ALL employees don't get much breaks either.

I only use the PDANet when I travel or in emergencies only. Forums and e-mail don't eat up a lot, streaming and other huge downloads do , so I try to keep from totally abusing if some want to call it that. Besides with short term use, I don't think anyone will notice much. Lord they charge us enough as it is.

BEER30

For the last 4 evenings, Cable internet has dropped. Leaving me all alone in the twilight zone , No cyberspace either. Thank Goodness for my Droid.

By tethering it to the laptop, at least I have connection. For those on the Droid network , download PDANet from the Market Place. It make it possible to get the Net for emergencies and travel. And it's Free and FAST too !

BEER30 via the Driod/Laptop

wow! thought i was the only one still with alltel dont ya love it and unlimited too!!!

do i want the one with SMS agent or Easytether lite

dray

I have a cell phone and have had it for four years. I have been offered new phones and they are not heavy enough for me to know that they are still on my belt. All I ask is that the phone rings and either I answer it or they leave a message. Do you think that I am a dinosaus? My daughter does!

:farmer:

this is cool thanks Gene:thumbsup:

using it now with my Droid its fast too! lots faster than i thought it would be:thumbsup2:

so now i got a backup for trips or when my net collapses

keep-em coming

dray

For those whom still have ALLtel and don't want to switch over to Verizon though you will be billed under Verizon anyways, keep the insurance on your phone. My insurance cover the phone for anything, so when it's time for a new phone...oops ! Get a new one and keep you existing contract. Now that doesn't mean you cannot upgrade your phone either, just might have to pony up the full retail price. But you can get deals if you shop around. If you had not already be on a data plan , you may be SOL. I heard that IPhone users can use PDANet as well.

By the way Dray, to get the pics bigger off a web page on the Droid, hold down on the pic until a prompt comes up to ask you if you want to view in another window or download. I just now remembered you asked me how a M-Day. Get PDANet, just download the free version.There is a one time pay if you go onto sites that need to be https:. Then when you tether to the laptop and connect, you will need to download from phone to laptop or go straight to the site and download when you are on you own provider. I have XP 32 bit , so I downloaded that version. They also have 64 bit and for you Mac users also. I have the SMS agent. The site you download is Junes Fabrics of all names , LOL ! And yes it is fast ....100mps sitting here under my metal roofed home.

BEER30

For those whom still have ALLtel and don't want to switch over to Verizon though you will be billed under Verizon anyways, keep the insurance on your phone. My insurance cover the phone for anything, so when it's time for a new phone...oops ! Get a new one and keep you existing contract. Now that doesn't mean you cannot upgrade your phone either, just might have to pony up the full retail price. But you can get deals if you shop around. If you had not already be on a data plan , you may be SOL. I heard that IPhone users can use PDANet as well.

By the way Dray, to get the pics bigger off a web page on the Droid, hold down on the pic until a prompt comes up to ask you if you want to view in another window or download. I just now remembered you asked me how a M-Day. Get PDANet, just download the free version.There is a one time pay if you go onto sites that need to be https:. Then when you tether to the laptop and connect, you will need to download from phone to laptop or go straight to the site and download when you are on you own provider. I have XP 32 bit , so I downloaded that version. They also have 64 bit and for you Mac users also. I have the SMS agent. The site you download is Junes Fabrics of all names , LOL ! And yes it is fast ....100mps sitting here under my metal roofed home.

BEER30

Gene

the new update last week they had fixed the pic problem i had and i have 32bit vista so i downloaded the right one for the pdanet

verison told me when i got my droid that as long as i keep my alltel contract they will never take it away but they will not tell people that you have to ask or they will just try to wright you a new contract with verison and yes i get a verison bill but i still have my old alltel contract that i will keep forever unless i find i can get a better deal and service

by the way service was better before verison took it over

OK...I'm not 100% sure what PDAnet does. They also have one for the Blackberry. Do I need it though? The Blackberry can already be tethered and use the 3G network for an internet connection to my computer. What more does the PDAnet do?

I guess I'm just slow today but I still don't get it. What are you GETTING when you use it? Does it not count against your regular data plan usage?

This is what I've been looking into for internet access. The Blackberry can be tethered and use a 3G network, but I'm pretty sure you're limited to a 5GB download capacity per month, no? PDAnet lets you tether the computer through the Droid using Verizon's data plan rather than through the 3G wifi network, and since Verizon currently has an unlimited data plan, you're not stuck to only a 5GB download capacity. I can blow up twice that in a week. The 3G wifi is limited to 5GB per month download capacity which is regulated by the FCC, but the data plan is unlimited - at least for now.

Yes, IPhones can also tether, but if I'm not mistaken, you're limited to 5GB per month with AT&T, no? And if you use their 3G wifi, you're stuck with only 2G per month. I've been with Centennial/AT&T for a long time and I'd really rather have an IPhone, but they lost a customer with that garbage. I'm getting a Droid X very soon.

the droid is ok but dont get one if what you want is a phone

i had the Razor V3c and it was ten times the phone the droid is i never had a droped call before and now my phone signal is about half what it was with the razor

the droid has lots of gimmics but it really fails as a phone at least as im concerned

would i get another droid it will have to have some major upgrades or i would most likley go back to just a basic good working phone like the V3c