IGNORED

Ultra Sonic Cleaner??

Yammer Dan

I grabbed a great deal on a Ultra Sonic Cleaner that was a display. Got everything but the box I think. Thing is how can I be sure it is working? I know clean something. I ran some coins thru the cycle and couldn't see any difference in them. Only used water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Thought I read somewhere that it would work. Only got 5 days to return if it don't work. Dodn't want to make mess til I really got ready to use it. Is there a simple test for it? I think it is big enough to do carbs one at a time. New Toy??

We used one in the lab to clean electronics, we used a special solvent. The only advantage I could find is it broke up the crime between stuff without taken them apart.

Do a foil test:

Cut a small rectangle of aluminum foil (maybe 1"x3")

Fill the cleaner with water

Turn it on

Dip half the foil rectangle into the water for a little bit (maybe 15-30 seconds, or until you see results)

Pull out the aluminum foil. It should have dimples (and possible small holes) through it.

The cleaner will break the grime up use a brush or cloth to see if it wipes away eaiser. There are specialized solutions you can buy and there are probally recipes on the net.

Edited by etcswjoe
mispell

Throw in some dirty bolts and run the cycle. There should be grit and grime in the bottom when your done. I've run Simple Green in my small one and that does pretty well.

I've been looking at big model at HF but I don't think it would submerge a carb body completely. I've been getting a bit of carb work lately and it would be nice to be able to clean the carbs that way.

What did you get?

Mike

Yep it is safe. These things are really nothing more that an overgrown jewelery cleaner. Just make sure the lenses aren't against the bottom.

The first time I cleaned my flexible watch band in one I was wishing I could find one the size of a 5 gallon bucket. LOL!! Boy did I have plans.

Yep it is safe. These things are really nothing more that an overgrown jewelery cleaner. Just make sure the lenses aren't against the bottom.

The first time I cleaned my flexible watch band in one I was wishing I could find one the size of a 5 gallon bucket. LOL!! Boy did I have plans.

Yepp: fold them up and place them ear piece down and watch the Green stuff come out of them,,,,:shock3:

On every ultrasonic I've run across, regardless of how quiet it is, you should still be able to see very small/fine disturbance on the water surface. And with regard to the quiet, I can't recall one that didn't buzz at least a little. One I had long ago you could feel the vibration if you cupped your hands around it or stuck your fingures in it. Try putting a couple of small pebbles in it dry and turn it on for a few seconds. You should know in a rush if it's working, I would think from the noise.

for what its worth!

I grabbed a great deal on a Ultra Sonic Cleaner that was a display. Got everything but the box I think. Thing is how can I be sure it is working? I know clean something. I ran some coins thru the cycle and couldn't see any difference in them. Only used water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Thought I read somewhere that it would work. Only got 5 days to return if it don't work. Dodn't want to make mess til I really got ready to use it. Is there a simple test for it? I think it is big enough to do carbs one at a time. New Toy??

Take a rusty bolt and drop it in there. Have any of those?? :rotf: Plain water will clean. Just make sure the water is degased before doing the bolt test... You should be able to see the rust start flowing off the bolt if it's working.... I'm not sure what the dish soap will do for you except start to make bubbles... I use a commercial USC cleaner, and it has a defoamer in it, and it's in there to handle oils etc. I did a rusty side stand spring the first time around and the thing came out looking like new. While it's running you should also be able to see surface rings.

Edited by Condor

Degased??

Didn't tell you in the instructions huh?? I had the same problem.. the directions said to degas, but they didn't explain how to do it. Had to search all over the place to finally find out what the 'H' they were talking about. Put water in and run it for about 10 minutes. What it does is get a lot of the air (gas) out of the water. It helps a ton. What the US is doing to clean anything is to form microscopic bubbles on the surface of the item and then they collapse..explode.. and blast away the cr-p. Big bubbles don't work as well as small bubbles. That's why the water heats up when running. All those little A-Bombs going off.... :whistling: