IGNORED

Electrical Problems this weekend..

seforeman

Was out on the bike this weekend. Ran a couple of errands (maybe 35 miles - 2 / 3 Stops). Then came home, picked up the wife and went out for some lunch. We came out, and the bike would not start. Turning the ignition switch cause the gauges (fuel etc) to flash for a second then shut off. No lights at all on the bike, no netural indicator. Oddly enough the radio still works? Could this be a blown fuse? or ignition switch failure? We tried jump starting it, not even a click from the starter. Would a short in either the passing lights (have the switch off) or the brake lights (have a back off installed) be causing such a failure?

Thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Stu

I see you own a 2000 RSV...

Have you ever installed a NEW battery since you owned it???????

It's past that time, if you have not installed one.

Batteries will go just like a fuse..but some will still have enough juice to play the radio...no starter or lights though..

Thats my guess..

If it is not the battery, then I would agree it being the ignition switch or possibly even the kickstand switch..but you would have head lights if the kickstand switch was bad..

Thanks for the heads up, yes - brand new battery in Aug of this year. Imagine that the original gave up the ghost after 7 years ;-) . Thinking it might be the ignition switch. Not sure whether it needs cleaning or replacement all together. Also - realized my passing lamps are wired in from by the factory instructions. Going to switch them over to the "relay" method of wiring them as that might have lead to the demise of the ignition switch.

First give the Switch a Bath with CRC 2-26, blow out with compressed air.

That might do it.

do the same for the Run-Stop Switch.

Check fuse holders, " mainly the ING" fuse.

fuse might be loose in holder.

Find and check, your Main, 40 Amp fuse, The screws that hold the element in place might be loose .( I know, its a wierd type of fuse )

Connect Voltmeter, to Bat. monitor what the voltage drops to when

the Start Solinoid engages. ( Battery might have intermittant internal short, it does happen )