IGNORED

Buying Bike in USA

Aussie Annie

you mean like: go to dealer, find bike, pay cash, ride off?

Likely you'll be getting an international drivers license which they have probably never seen before but you can use unless you're just dying to get a US license, you'll be needing an address from somebody for registration and insurance (you can use mine). You buy from an individual the same rules apply, but you will be going to the DMV (department of Motor Vehicles) to do the paper work instead of the dealer.

If your thinking what I think you're thinking i would suggest hooking up with someone like the Squid, condor or Dingy (not meaning to leave any highly qualified people out here) and give them a list of requirements and modifications you'll need so that maybe you can have it all done by the time you get here. Just a thought.

you mean like: go to dealer, find bike, pay cash, ride off?

Likely you'll be getting an international drivers license which they have probably never seen before but you can use unless you're just dying to get a US license, you'll be needing an address from somebody for registration and insurance (you can use mine). You buy from an individual the same rules apply, but you will be going to the DMV (department of Motor Vehicles) to do the paper work instead of the dealer.

If your thinking what I think you're thinking i would suggest hooking up with someone like the Squid, condor or Dingy (not meaning to leave any highly qualified people out here) and give them a list of requirements and modifications you'll need so that maybe you can have it all done by the time you get here. Just a thought.

Thanks for the reply, and the offer to use your address :thumbsup2:

It's not for me. It's the "go to dealer, find bike, pay cash, ride off" kinda thing. Would hope for a "buy back" deal?? Are the rules different in each state?

Thanks for the reply, and the offer to use your address :thumbsup2:

It's not for me. It's the "go to dealer, find bike, pay cash, ride off" kinda thing. Would hope for a "buy back" deal?? Are the rules different in each state?

I think one of the biggest changes you'll find is in the registration and sales tax laws. You might want to find a state that doesn't have or has a low tax rate.

Dave

About the only you thing you will have to worry about is the helmet law in each state but if you wear the helmet all the time than you have nothing to worry about!!

as long you have DL-Ins-registration you will be just fine and ride as many states as you want

Some states don't charge sales tax at all and then some have a really low sales tax. Here in Ohio the different county's inside the state have different tax rates. I live where 3 counties come together--1/2 mile north of Henry and 3 miles west of Lucas in Fulton county. Sales tax in Fulton is 1 1/2% lower I believe than Lucas. Save's a little by liveing in Fulton when I buy something large like a bike,car,boat,etc.

South Carolina has a $300 cap on vehicle sales tax. Last time I bought a vehicle in Georgia it was 8% (?) of the sales price. Also, as mentioned some counties charge an optional sales tax and some cities will have their own tax to sustain their welfare programs.

Are you planning to fly in, pick up a bike and ride off? Is so, you are limited to California and New York (Quantas), though I'm guessing you will probably have offers to be picked up and drug around (I'm in the wrong part of the country). Guess you will need to firm up your plans a little before folks can start hunting for you.

Annie, each state will have slightly different requirements to title and register a motorcycle. It'll be taxed based not on where you buy it, but the address where it is titled.

So if your residence is California and you buy in Nevada you'd pay California sales tax, not Nevada sales tax.

States have different sales tax levels and I believe a few have none. As a general rule states that are near the Atlantic, Pacific or Great lakes have higher tax rates. You'll save some money by choosing the correct location for your "residence".

Once it has a plate and insurance you can drive it in any State.

You might want to PM StarFan. He lives in Iceland but bought and keeps a bike here for when he visits. He can tell you what he had to do.

As for finding a dealer with a "buy-back" program. Good luck with that. You may find one that will buy it back but you can bet it will be for a lot less than you paid for it. You will have to do your research and compare that to what it would cost to rent a bike.

You might want to PM StarFan. He lives in Iceland but bought and keeps a bike here for when he visits. He can tell you what he had to do.

As for finding a dealer with a "buy-back" program. Good luck with that. You may find one that will buy it back but you can bet it will be for a lot less than you paid for it. You will have to do your research and compare that to what it would cost to rent a bike.

Ditto that ! that was my suggestion too. Also if your friend is going to come head to New York at the beginning of the summer hit Americade then head south and west.

Who's the bike going to be for Annie? Quickstep? Are you thinking that if you make it to MD2011 you could ship your bike over, and then find something for Alan here?? I'm just wondering since we have a lot of multi-bike owners, someone near your port of entry on the east coast might have something you could borrow??? Hey..just a thought....??

Annie - I found this on the net A few states do not assess sales tax. States like Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon, for example, do not asses a sales tax. Tax laws, however, can change rapidly and dramatically.

With a little planning and scheming, you could save sales tax but you will definitely loose on the buy back program.

Bike/car/RV dealers ALL sell vehicles at the highest RETAIL they can get. When it comes to trading or a sell back, again they ALL use the LOWEST wholesale figure the consumer will put up with. That's how their P & L is managed.

And if your going to have a international license make sure you have a cycle endorsement so your licensed properly

:2cents:

An International Driving Permit (IDP) translates information contained on your driver's license into 10 languages so that officials in foreign countries are able to interpret your license. An IDP supplements a valid government-issued license--it does not serve as a replacement for a license. If you are stopped by law enforcement, you will most likely be asked to produce both your IDP and your official driver's license. The United States does NOT issue International Driving Permits to foreign visitors, so you will need to obtain this document before traveling to the U.S.

You do NOT need to get an international driver's license so long as your current Aussie one is valid and you will not be driving in the U.S. for more than 1 year. Australia is one of the countries that have an exchange agreement with driving licenses, etc. It would be in your best interest, for while you ARE driving here, to keep your D.L and you passport on hand - just in case you do get stopped. The passport provides a confirmation of who you are and just when you entered this country.

When I get some time later, I'll post the links to the official laws that state this.

By the way - I know this because I work with a visiting professor that is Austrailian and his official appointment is for just under 1 year. I helped him look into the requirements for D.L. etc, since he bought a car and such.

For your own reference and in prepping to come visit you may want to contact the appropriate embassy near where you will be entering the country and chat with them about what your intentions are. They can definitely set you up with whatever other information you will require.

If you have your own auto/bike insurance in Aussie land you can check your policy to see if you can add on a bike that is purchased and driven outside of the country but I suspect that your best bet will be to just do it all state side - or maybe find someone willing to 'buy' the bike [in their name] and insure it with you/quickstep as the primary driver - and you can just reimburse them for the actual cost.

I am glad to see that you are considering this instead of renting one over here as I am pretty sure that you will save a SIGNIFICANT amount of money this way.

:080402gudl_prv:

Thank you everyone :thumbsup2:

Okay the "cats outa the bag" now. We are coming to the USA next year. Shipping my bike--and it will land in Portland Oregon, which has no sales tax (according to Wikipedia) So need an Oregon address????? Have insurance for bike through company shipping it.

What's best one for Quickstep? Was told Geico insure international riders? Or do we use one from dealer in Oregon?

We will get international driver's permits here before we go :happy34:

Going to buy used cruiser around the $US4-5000 mark?? Planning to buy trailer for our gear too, then donate it to VR.org.

Was given contact of wingman.com in Portland for the trailer. Friends bought from them last year when they shipped their bike over.

To see our rough itinerary go to the sticky thread that Minimuffin started.

Thank you everyone :thumbsup2:

Okay the "cats outa the bag" now. We are coming to the USA next year. Shipping my bike--and it will land in Portland Oregon, which has no sales tax (according to Wikipedia) So need an Oregon address????? Have insurance for bike through company shipping it.

What's best one for Quickstep? Was told Geico insure international riders? Or do we use one from dealer in Oregon?

We will get international driver's permits here before we go :happy34:

Going to buy used cruiser around the $US4-5000 mark?? Planning to buy trailer for our gear too, then donate it to VR.org.

Was given contact of wingman.com in Portland for the trailer. Friends bought from them last year when they shipped their bike over.

To see our rough itinerary go to the sticky thread that Minimuffin started.

Butttttt.....

Here in Oklahoma there are no "sales taxes" on vehicles purchased, but they do charge 3.25 percent "excise tax" on the purchase price when you register it!

Now if that ain't sneaky!!! A tax by any other name is still a tax.

To top it off, if the purchase price is less than "average market value" you pay tax on what you should have paid instead of actual. I love this s$$t.:mo money:

My point is, if you just ask about sales tax, you may not get the whole story.:bang head:

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52161

The link is for a 2002 venture forsale in California. The price is very good. I know its a year until you fly over, but this is a really good deal, and you could likely sell it when you return home for what you paid for it.

I did give that some thought when I posted that, and I agree with you, but figured it's going to be a year yet so...??