IGNORED

RSV Seat Suggestions

thecount

After the past few weeks, I have really started to experience lower tail bone discomfort. A pain in the "behind"! Have had the Butler Modification done and been good comfort up until the now. Looking for driver saddle options? Also, I have been adjusting my Utopia Backrest to be a little more upright, to assist in posture for riding. Seems to helps some, but not totally after the 2 hours or so.

As for size, I'm 6'1" and 33" in-seam and bike fits well for height. Did the Level Links as well and did not notice any significant change for "fit"

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks in advance.

Been there done that! I've switched to a Mustang seat and so far it's working for me. My wife still prefers the original pillowtop seat. Here is a thread I started about it a while back, http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49596&highlight=mustang

I tried the butler mod, having a seat reworked locally with gel inserts and then the Mustang. In my opinion the OEM pillow top seat is good for about 1 season for me, about 15,000 miles. After that it feels like I am sitting on the frame and after about 30 minutes I hurt. The Mustang is a harder seat and at first doesn't "feel" as plush. I questioned the purchase when I first got it but I stuck with it. Either my rear or the seat got broke in. I recently completed a 4400 plus mile ride and not once did I have the pain in my rear. I got tired of sitting which would have happened on any seat.

Now my wife prefers the pillow top. She likes the softer seat. Another issue with her seat is that it is slanted forward slightly. Just enough that she feels like she's sliding forward. I've talked to Mustang folks about that and they confirmed that the design has a slightly forward pitch for the passenger and I asked if there was anything they could do to rework the seat and improve it. They said no but referred me to someone in Florida that might be able to. Right now I'm thinking about trying to come up with some wedge type cushion for her to use on the longer rides.

There may be a better seat out there but I haven't tried it yet. Check out the link above for photos.

Dennis

Edited by Midrsv

First, what kind of riding do you like to do.

- Short jaunts between the local DQs (100-200 miles in a day)

- Longer weekend trips searching for the perfect bacon sammich (300-400 miles in a day for a couple of days)

- Travel to see folks a couple of states away 'cause YOUR beer fridge is empty (500-700 miles in a day for a couple of days)

- Long Distance Rallying; well, just because (1000+ miles per day for 2 to 11 days in a row)

There are different seats for each answer. Needless to say, the dollars generally increase as you increase the mileage also.

RR

After the past few weeks, I have really started to experience lower tail bone discomfort. A pain in the "behind"! Have had the Butler Modification done and been good comfort up until the now. Looking for driver saddle options? Also, I have been adjusting my Utopia Backrest to be a little more upright, to assist in posture for riding. Seems to helps some, but not totally after the 2 hours or so.

As for size, I'm 6'1" and 33" in-seam and bike fits well for height. Did the Level Links as well and did not notice any significant change for "fit"

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks in advance.

I tried the Butler mod. Then a local gal rebuilt it again. Then the new Mustang. And a Corbin I got from this site.

Butler mod was no good at all. The local gal was fairly good.

The Mustang was awful. A seat cushion from Canadian Tire on the Corbin was the beast solution. I too suffer from the tailbone issue.

I still have it to a degree but it's manageable.

The gel cushion I speak of is mentioned in another thread here.

I made a tailbone relief cut with scissors.

Stretching out your legs on hiway pegs helps a lot if you use them to take the weight off your butt!

Good luck!

- Long Distance Rallying; well, just because (1000+ miles per day for 2 to 11 days in a row)

Red I understand seats for this riding come with an extra 5 gallon gas can. :rotf:

Steve as you know, every seat is not for everyone it is so hard to tell what is best for you without trying them. I hope you get the one you like on the first try. :stirthepot:

I'm okay with the Pillow top and never tried other types.

Brad

Red I understand seats for this riding come with an extra 5 gallon gas can. :rotf:

Steve as you know, every seat is not for everyone it is so hard to tell what is best for you without trying them. I hope you get the one you like on the first try. :stirthepot:

I'm okay with the Pillow top and never tried other types.

Brad

Hey Brad.

Just really starting to develop a pain in my lower tail bone. Might need to have the pillow top re-worked again, and do the long term investgation over the fall/winter. Todays ride was local, but highway, not much stopping and within the 2 hours, man, was my "tail bone" sore.

Steve

I can not say for my RSV yet but I had a seat made for my old goldwing by Diamond and it was the best money I ever spent. I was able to triple the miles I could ride in a day and for more days in a row. I am not sure if they do seats for our bikes but bet they do. Has anyone ever had one from diamond on a rsv

This spring I slipped a disc in my lower back and was bed for about 3 weeks. I am disabled with lower back problems and found that a kidney works great for days that I hurt. Some have installed a back rest but the belt moves with you when you shift around the seat. I also have started to ride with a gel seat pad I got at wal mart for $20., they are next to the auto seat covers .

You can get a belt from Cycle gadgets .

Cb

I can not say for my RSV yet but I had a seat made for my old goldwing by Diamond and it was the best money I ever spent. I was able to triple the miles I could ride in a day and for more days in a row. I am not sure if they do seats for our bikes but bet they do. Has anyone ever had one from diamond on a rsv

Hey Rick, thanks for the comment on the seat. Diamond Custom Seats from Florida. Found them on the web. would appreciate if any has one and the comments/feedback. Other custom seat might be a Hartco? They look similar in design. Like the fact that Diamond makes comment of making custom seats for 30+ years.

If you are looking to spring for a custom seat, I suggest you check out Russell Day Long or Rick Meyer seats. These are two of the custom seats preferred by LD riders. I put approximately 4200 miles in 5 days one time and 2100 miles in 48 hours another time with a Russell. Stock seat gave me tailbone problems after a day or so. The Russell, ready to keep going.

It's not the best looking seat in the industry, just the most comfortable (for me) for really long distances.

RR

You'd all get a laugh at my seat :happy34: I need to sit higher so that there is a downward angle on my stiff leg....so under my sheepskin cover (home made) I have my airhawk cushion with extra memory foam inside the zip cover, so I sit high in the saddle :happy65::happy65:

"What ever floats ya boat" to ride, right?? :smile5:

Hey Rick, thanks for the comment on the seat. Diamond Custom Seats from Florida. Found them on the web. would appreciate if any has one and the comments/feedback. Other custom seat might be a Hartco? They look similar in design. Like the fact that Diamond makes comment of making custom seats for 30+ years.

Talk to Mark at Diamond Seats and he will give you all the time inthe world and answer any questions. I am discussing a new seat for me and the wife with him now. Only issue is if he can get the color I need since mine is the brown/tan color. I sure hope he can

Also you can talk to the people at All Day Russel in Michigan. Very good seat but the reason I went with diamond the last time I had one done was because you do not have to send them your old seats with most others they want your bucket so you are without your seats till they get done. Also Diamond builds them for your weight and inseam measurements.