IGNORED

Speed sensor Flaky ?

When I got the 01 the guy I got it from said the cruse was a little intermittent, and it was. It would hold some now and then some times for five or so minutes, and other times up to 45 or so. Didn't think too much about it cause I was going to Trike it soon. After Triking I rode it foe a few hundred miles before taking it apart again to paint, but at about 300 or so miles the speed -o went nuts, all over the dash, and I thought that the sensor got knocked out of whack underneath. I couldn't do any thing until I got the parts back to run it and check it out. I readjusted the sensor, and now have a steady needle, but the cruse upper two lights flash 4 times, and then off, with no set like before.

I know that there are several things to check, but what I am really asking to get started is.

Is the sensor a good or bad, go-no go device or can they be intermittent AKA Flaky. I know that until I get a rock solid speed the cruse isn't going to do diddly.

Any ideas...

Actually it is .003 to.005 very close, and this one is extremely sensitive, as to where it is set on the collar, that is what is leading me to think that it could be on the flaky side. Usually just set it to a dragging .003, and it is dead on and rock solid,,,:confused24: Or at least on the other ones I have done.

There's a white connector just behind the speedometer that feeds the speedo that can work loose or have poor connections. Check that and the vacuum cable under the left lower cowling. If you don't find any problrms there then in all likelyhood you have a bad-going bad speed sensor.

I went thru the same thing earlier this summer and eventually had to replace the sensor after ensuring that the white connector was making good connections.

Pinwall sells them for about $20 if I recall correctly.

Larry

I am thinking in that line Larry, the speed sensor is relatively easy to change out ( if I don't mess up the spacing ) As it was acting up some prior to Triking, and got worst after, doesn't narrow things down either. The fact that the speed and cruse worked sort of just after Triking, and then out of the blue gone leads me to the sensor going or mostly gone bad. It took over two hours to find the "sweet spot" when I put it back together, which is quite un-nerving ( had to be done on jacks, and in gear,,:yikes: ) So this one is most likely about to die out I think. Pin Wall is the best bet for one reasonable.

Got the sensor, and changed it out tonight, and that helped a ton. It is now at least in the pall park, and the cruse will once again set in a sort of way,,:confused24: It still seems weak on the set, and drops easily. The other thing I did find out is that it is way off speed wise; indicate 64/65, and GPS says 58/59, I was only able to get a couple of miles on it tonight. Any ideas on the speed difference.. I know there is a difference like the Honda, but 5 - 6 miles...

Next to figure out the cruse intermitentcy...