IGNORED

Can't Open Saddle Bag!

halfwitt

Help! I can't get one saddle bag open on my 07 RSV. I push the button and it doesn't feel like it is doing anything. Do you know of any way to get the dang thing open? I may not care so much except my wife's purse is in there!

Thanks for any advice!

Help! I can't get one saddle bag open on my 07 RSV. I push the button and it doesn't feel like it is doing anything. Do you know of any way to get the dang thing open? I may not care so much except my wife's purse is in there!

Thanks for any advice!

May be a dumb question, but have you tried unlocking it???

Thanks for any advice!

Try this thread for some answers:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49901&highlight=saddlebags

Apparently, I eventually used the correct string of curse words to break the spell that was keeping it closed. If anyone wants to know the magic words, let me know. They are not family friendly.

C'mon, tell us....please, please, PLEASE

I put the key in and went back and forth between lock and unlock. With the button about half way down and while turning the key there was a definite "click" and it opened up. Something in the lock itself is lose/broken. I just won't lock that saddlebag again.

I put the key in and went back and forth between lock and unlock. With the button about half way down and while turning the key there was a definite "click" and it opened up. Something in the lock itself is lose/broken. I just won't lock that saddlebag again.

Sounds like your hinges and locks may need a shot of Silicone. Spray liberally and don't forget the trunk lock mechanism as well. I sprayed my locks and hinges and then click smoother than ever now. Good Luck.

My saddle bag did the same thing last summer. My shorty helmet and wallet was locked up inside. Therefore no way to be able to ride to dealer without getting a ticket riding with no helmet. So I just used my manly strength and ripped the lid right off the bag .:superman:

Dealer replaced the entire saddle bag with new one under warranty and changed the tumbler of the old lock to the new so I have same key. A week later , same darn thing happened again. I did the key in lock, wiggle as I pressed the button and eventually it opened. What I found out was that the bar that connects the two latches vibrates to one side or the other. At which it wedged itself into a position where it became jammed. The mechanism that presses onto that bar(part of the button) bent and therefore allowed the button to press down without resistance.

I kept stopping by the dealer. Dealer to busy to look at the bag , so I resolve the issue myself. Not blaming the dealer as I did not want to leave the bag at the shop. My solution was , remove the locking/button mechanism, replace all the bent parts to normal position. I took the connecting bar/rod and slightly bent it enough to not allow the rod to slide from side to side. It did not take much to do either. Re-assembles all parts with a tad bit of lubricant. To this date, I have not had any issues.

BEER30

Sounds like your hinges and locks may need a shot of Silicone. Spray liberally and don't forget the trunk lock mechanism as well. I sprayed my locks and hinges and then click smoother than ever now. Good Luck.

I've been told by a locksmith to never spray anything liquid into a lock. Only use dry graphite powder to lubricate.