IGNORED

Oil Pan Cracked on me :(

Me thinks; I is in deep Kemchie,,,,

While I have the plastic, and body in the paint shop, I am doing things to get it ready to put all back together,,You know Plugs, fuel filter, cleaning under tank Oil and filter........

I drain the oil out and it sits for a few hours, and change the filter. When putting the oil plug back in I heard a slight "snap" or "click" I start putting in the new oil, and just for the heck of it look under ( more out of habit ) the bike, and holly crap!!!! Oil pouring out. Got a clean pan and caught 99% of it back, and then found that the Oil Pan had Cracked there at the plug...........:crying:

How Screwed am I

From the service manual it looks like there are 12 bolts that have to be removed. and a sensor. Now this was 11:30 last night, and I haven't given it a good examination, on the placement yet.

The big question is can the oil pan be removed without loosing or removing the big part ( engine ):yikes:

The part in the parts fiche ( I think ) is called Strainer Cover, 26H-13417-01-00

Holy Cow How did this happen............:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Sounds like you're pretty screwed, all right. Never heard of this happening before (but I won't be able to say that again now, will I?)

I have never taken the oil pan off one of these, so I can't tell you what is involved. Looking forward to hearing about it though. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Sounds like you're pretty screwed, all right. Never heard of this happening before (but I won't be able to say that again now, will I?)

I have never taken the oil pan off one of these, so I can't tell you what is involved. Looking forward to hearing about it though. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Gee thanks ! It is a first for me too. :mad:

I went out and looked at the bottom of the engine and it appears that all of the 12 bolts are accessible for removal. There will be a lot of prayer, and finger crossing going on here. I also shot a photo of where it broke/cracked.

I have access to HeliArc and was thinking about welding it back but the crack is also in the threads. Probably a bad idea the pan is only 150 + gasket,,,:confused24:

I still cant figure out how this happened....

You can see the crack coming off the plug at a 45 angle to the right,,,,,:mad:

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/oilpancrack.jpg

BUMMER!

....sorry to hear that happened!

Sounds like you might have some work ahead of you!

Did you put any extra pressure to crank down the plug?

I always just "snug up" the oil drain...on every motor of any type more because once upon a time I ended up stripping the threads.

Tight enough it won't work loose...but not cranked!

Hey George,

I just had a VR in two weeks ago for the same thing! And I have seen this one other time, The most recent time, there was a small "chunk" of asphalt on the flange of the drain plug, the first time, the drain plug bolt was "cross threaded".

This is not a "Fun" Job, but it is doable.

I can order in a new oil pan for $150.00 with some shipping,

OR I have a used one in excellent condition for $75.00 with shipping included!

If you are interested, feel free to PM me. :thumbsup2:

I hope this helps,

Earl

Isn't there a torque spec on the oil plug? If so why would it break like that if you can torque it? In any event it might have been a weak point in the pan possible from manfacturing process? Just a thought. I never have torqued mine just tightening it to snug. Although it did loosen up on me one time and dripped a little oil. Good Luck!:confused07:

If I keep breaking things I will wind up with a complete new setup,,,:mad::shock3::puzzled:

I feel like William Bendix in The Life of Riley: "What a revolting development this is"

Hey George,

I just had a VR in two weeks ago for the same thing! And I have seen this one other time, The most recent time, there was a small "chunk" of asphalt on the flange of the drain plug, the first time, the drain plug bolt was "cross threaded".

This is not a "Fun" Job, but it is doable.

I can order in a new oil pan for $150.00 with some shipping,

OR I have a used one in excellent condition for $75.00 with shipping included!

If you are interested, feel free to PM me.

I hope this helps,

Earl

Earl, I will PM ya

Isn't there a torque spec on the oil plug? If so why would it break like that if you can torque it? In any event it might have been a weak point in the pan possible from manfacturing process? Just a thought. I never have torqued mine just tightening it to snug. Although it did loosen up on me one time and dripped a little oil. Good Luck!

Yepp: 31 Fp,,,but I was using a regular 17 mm wrench, and don't think I got that carried away :confused24:

A first gen pan should work as a replacement.

There's plenty of em on ebay for $20.

Yea I looked, and they are some Nasty looking pans there, and not all the same.....

If I keep breaking things I will wind up with a complete new setup,,,:mad::shock3::puzzled:

I feel like William Bendix in The Life of Riley: "What a revolting development this is"

Earl, I will PM ya

Yepp: 31 Fp,,,but I was using a regular 17 mm wrench, and don't think I got that carried away :confused24:

Yea I looked, and they are some Nasty looking pans there, and not all the same.....

They all look pretty groady. Soda blast them and they'll look like new.. Heck even a couple of cans of Carb Cleaner will make 'm presentable....

as an after thought to this problem, is there anything wrong with pulling the oil pan off to check out what may have accumulated in the pan so it can be cleaned?

just wondering really.

Garry "Dingy" has one on the way to me,,,:happy34: :bowdown: Earl "Skydoc_17 is also a prince, and helped a lot(and has one if Gary's doesn't work out).

I am going to get the chance to see the inside shortly I am sure of that....... and will let ya know how nasty it is inside..... Thanks for all the help. I may have to find someone close to help put this thing back together :confused24: I seem to be breaking every thing,,,:confused:

Garry "Dingy" has one on the way to me,,,:happy34: :bowdown: Earl "Skydoc_17 is also a prince, and helped a lot(and has one if Gary's doesn't work out).

I am going to get the chance to see the inside shortly I am sure of that....... and will let ya know how nasty it is inside..... Thanks for all the help. I may have to find someone close to help put this thing back together :confused24: I seem to be breaking every thing,,,:confused:

With the pic you posted, I don't think it is repairable and most importantly probably not advisable to fix. I have removed my oil pan on my Taurus SHO a few years back and replaced my rod bearings and to me that wasn't too bad aside from removing the exhaust manifold first. I have never done this on a bike, but it will be at a smaller scale and you probably know by now...pay close attention in properly torqueing the bolts back. Sounds like you are a good wrencher...you can do this repair. :fingers-crossed-emo Please keep us posted on your fix, because this can happen to anybody including my bike. :shock3: Regards.

With the pic you posted, I don't think it is repairable and most importantly probably not advisable to fix. I have removed my oil pan on my Taurus SHO a few years back and replaced my rod bearings and to me that wasn't too bad aside from removing the exhaust manifold first. I have never done this on a bike, but it will be at a smaller scale and you probably know by now...pay close attention in properly torqueing the bolts back. Sounds like you are a good wrencher...you can do this repair. :fingers-crossed-emo Please keep us posted on your fix, because this can happen to anybody including my bike. :shock3: Regards.

Well I thought I was till I started breaking things,,,,,,,,,:rotf: :bang head:

73 de KJ5IX _._

Got the pan today, and after I got finished with the Harley, I cleaned it up and it don't look too bad now,,,:happy34: TNX Now if the gasket will only get here, and the painter will stare on the paint things can start moving again...... Oh yea used your tool on the tree when I put on the rake :happy34:

It's on its way.

PM sent

It is off of an 88 bike, wasn't from the 83 like I thought.

:mo money:

Gary

That crack can only be repaired (correctly) if you have access to a TIG welder and a Milling machine.

The condensed version of the repair;

It would require grinding out the crack, welding it closed along with welding the drain hole closed and then re machining the flat sealing surface and new threads.

Unless you have access to this technology, you are going the right route by replacing it with a used pan. It would cost more to have the repair done in a shop.

Bummer!!

Something I have always done on all of my bikes is next time you change oil, Cross drill the drain bolt head for a lock wire. Then use a piece of bailing wire wrapped around something down there to keep the plug from falling out if it comes loose. Then you don't feel the need to give it that little tweek of extra torque. :hurts:

Gaskets came in today, and Gary's pan all cleaned up. So I took on the task. Not bad at all only took two hours with taking photos, and memorizing things on the way out AKA look at it for 10 sec's instead of 2. All went well and no hitches Praise the Lord !!

What the inside of the old pan looks like with 53K on it. Pretty clean.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/oilpan.jpg

And with the little bit of oil drained out, very little sludge in the drain run.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/oilpan1.jpg

A different look at the CRACK !!!!! worse than I thought.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/oilpancrack2.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/oilpancrack1.jpg

The inside of the engine is in great clean shape.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/insideengine.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/insideengine1.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/insideengine2.jpg

The pan I got from Gary after cleaning this weekend.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/newpan1.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/newpan.jpg

And this is all the mess I made,,, Now that surprise's me usually a lot bigger.

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/mess.jpg

Thanks again Gary, and Earl. :happy34:

Now if it doesn't leak we are in good shape again..