IGNORED

Heli Coil Kit

Here is another alternative to helli coil and it does not require a speacial tap or drill to install. as well they are soild and the keys once pressed in keep them from turning.

http://mdmetric.com/pdf/keysert.pdf

How about that huh.. would seem to be a more 'permanent' fix than helicoils that might turn out when I remove the axle at the next tire change.. very interesting indeed.

Do you know where to get these or who does these? I'm in Ontario for Port Dover the 13th Aug.. might be an opportune time to see about getting it done then.. Even to purchase and do it when I get back..

Thanks again..

Here is another alternative to helli coil and it does not require a speacial tap or drill to install. as well they are soild and the keys once pressed in keep them from turning.

http://mdmetric.com/pdf/keysert.pdf

These type inserts do work very good, BUT;

These type inserts will still require an M24x1.5p tap and a 22.5mm drill.

You have now opened up the hole in the end of the fork to 24mm instead of the original 18mm. If you go this route look very close to see if you will have adequate wall thickness on the end of the fork. You would really hate to have the end of the fork break off when you put a lot of stress on it.

The Heli-Coil will open up the hole in the fork with a 18.25mm (23/32 Dia.) drill and tap it to 20.1mm You are leaving more of the original metal for strength.

I do not have a 2nd gen to look at so I do not know if this type insert is a good option or not, I am just bringing up the issues to look for.

Helicoils do not fall out.

If you are worried about that, just get a small bottle of zinc chromate primer (Small bottles can be had in the train dept of many hobby shops) and coat the helicoil with that and install it wet. The Zinc chromate primer will also keep the aluminum threads from oxidizing.

These type inserts do work very good, BUT;

These type inserts will still require an M24x1.5p tap and a 22.5mm drill.

You have now opened up the hole in the end of the fork to 24mm instead of the original 18mm. If you go this route look very close to see if you will have adequate wall thickness on the end of the fork. You would really hate to have the end of the fork break off when you put a lot of stress on it.

The Heli-Coil will open up the hole in the fork with a 18.25mm (23/32 Dia.) drill and tap it to 20.1mm You are leaving more of the original metal for strength.

I do not have a 2nd gen to look at so I do not know if this type insert is a good option or not, I am just bringing up the issues to look for.

Helicoils do not fall out.

If you are worried about that, just get a small bottle of zinc chromate primer (Small bottles can be had in the train dept of many hobby shops) and coat the helicoil with that and install it wet. The Zinc chromate primer will also keep the aluminum threads from oxidizing.

Again, a wealth of info.. I had shown these to the mech guy and he also expressed some of the same concerns.. Zinc chromate primer it is.

Thanks again!!

Let us know how it works out for you.

Yep, will do.. I'm keeping the new axle, bearings and seals with me on the bike when I travel so should I encounter a sage mech out there somewhere, I would have all the parts I need..

Ya never know!!