IGNORED

Made a HD antenna adaptor

Guest RichG

Guest RichG

I decided to put the HD antennas on the Venture. I thought it would look better. It really does.

I made these out of aluminum stock and found some bolts to fit.

If I can figure out how to make photos attach I'll put them here. I'm going to a custom bike shop and have the part made from steel and chromed. And also have them get me some chrome bolts and star washers.

If anyone would like to do the same conversion, we can get a break on the custom work. I'll wait a couple of weeks to get a price.

The antennas are 2009 HD, CB and AM/FM/WB. They cost $30.00 each. It has to be 2009 or later because the 2008 and older do not have the load in the antenna.

Rich

Guest RichG
They do look good, but my question is why they didn't fit directly to the OEM bracket instead of having to offset them?? And is the Harley CB tunable??

The Harley antenna takes an SAE American thread male (I think it is 3/8). The mount takes an 8mm male thread. So I was going to have to make an 8mm male to 3/8 male adaptor. I cant do that.

So I made the offset out of aluminum and bolted it on.

I don't know what "tunable" means for the antenna. Is the Venture antenna tunable?

The Harley antenna takes an SAE American thread male (I think it is 3/8). The mount takes an 8mm male thread. So I was going to have to make an 8mm male to 3/8 male adaptor. I cant do that.

So I made the offset out of aluminum and bolted it on.

I don't know what "tunable" means for the antenna. Is the Venture antenna tunable?

Most American made antenna's take a 3/8"x16 fitting. I just thought you could have punched out the bracket to a 3/8ths hole and come up through the bottom with 3/8x1" screw. You can also attach the co-ax by splitting the core and shield and solder them to eye terminals and eliminate the PL259 connectors like those used on Monty's bike.... Some CB antennas need to be tuned by adjusting the tip above the load. Some antennas are pretuned via the length of the co-ax which is unfortunately way too long to have run all over the bike.

Guest RichG
I have similar antennas on mine. I don't know what brand they are, but they say "Flex" and "diesel" at the top. I think either Buddy or Roadkill put them on.

Those look good. Where did the adaptors come from?

Guest RichG
Most American made antenna's take a 3/8"x16 fitting. I just thought you could have punched out the bracket to a 3/8ths hole and come up through the bottom with 3/8x1" screw. You can also attach the co-ax by splitting the core and shield and solder them to eye terminals and eliminate the PL259 connectors like those used on Monty's bike.... Some CB antennas need to be tuned by adjusting the tip above the load. Some antennas are pretuned via the length of the co-ax which is unfortunately way too long to have run all over the bike.

I looked at the instructions for the CB antenna and there is not anything there about tuning. The first antenna I bought from them had the same instructions in it. It alerted me that I needed a 2009 antenna, so i took the 2008 back and swapped it. The guy at the counter was greatfull that I had explaned the difference to him. Worse case, I would have cooked my CB final amps if I ever used the thing.

Would it have not been easier to have installed the Firestiks setup instead (my apologies if I missed the main point of why you did it this way..)

I did a manual firestiks CD antenna tuning which was darn close when it was later put onto an RSW meter..

Black Antennas like yours and the Firestiks always look nice on these bikes.. Good job!