IGNORED

Electronic Device - Anti-Drop Safety Tether

petekadish

Since my sweetie is my full-time navigator (along with my GPS device), I often will give her the assignment to also be my on-board photographer when we are riding. In addition to either our video camera or still cameras, she will also sometimes have to look-up information on my GPS or cell phone while we are riding. This involves her handling some rather expensive devices which I would be pretty upset if she happened to accidentally drop one of them. Now, my cameras have wrist straps on them, so they are pretty safe. But, neither my Garmin GPS or my Motorola Droid have wrist straps. Has anyone here figured-out a way to attach some sort of simple, safety tether to a small portable, electronic device? I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually manufacturers them. I'm thinking of something similar to one of these:

http://www.kabletek-flexweave.com/flexweave.htm

I'm just not sure how I would attach something like this to a cell phone, GPS or an iPod.

Any suggestions? I'm sure this isn't an original idea.

Thanks guys!

Be Safe!

Pete.

Guest tx2sturgis
Has anyone here figured-out a way to attach some sort of simple, safety tether to a small portable, electronic device? I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually manufacturers them. I'm thinking of something similar to one of these:

Be Safe!

Pete.

I use the typical neck-strap tethers that you see for ID badges and small cameras. They have a small clip which can be attached to the device's wrist strap or case loop, and they normally have a small plastic buckle which lets you detach the device easily if needed.

Do a search for 'neck lanyard' and you will get a lot of results. Or any camera store will have them. Don't use those steel antitheft cables for ANYTHING involving personal electronics on a moving motorcycle. The chance of it getting hung up on something or someone and causing a problem are too great, and if push comes to shove it will simply break the attachment point of the device right off..or worse, take a wrist or finger with it.

I use these on my cameras when I'm taking pictures and video while riding. Sometimes the little strap gets in the way, but you learn to divert that with your fingers to keep it out of the way of your lens...at least in theory.

Several of my videos use these lanyards attached to my camera. If I need to quickly grab the bars, I can simply let go of the camera, and it will fall harmlessly against my belly...of course that video is MOSTLY edited out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV1FbzBh51g]YouTube- Riding.[/ame]

At around 2:30 on this vid you can see my lanyard flopping in the wind:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG95fo0KqS8&feature=channel]YouTube- palodurorun[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis

Okay, I like both of those last two ideas. Thank you!

Okay, now for part two of this quest for a solution ...

What about an idea for some way to secure a tether to a device which has no anchoring point? For example - most cameras have little places on them on which to connect a wrist strap or a lanyard. However, neither my GPS or my cell phone have such a connecting point.

Again, I'm sure that there is some sort of connecting anchor which can be attached to a small electronic device or a tool. There just has to be a number of activities which require people to secure their stuff from fumbling fingers. I'm reminded about that astronaut who let some of his tools float away on a repair mission some time ago.

Thanks again.

Pete.

Guest tx2sturgis

Most popular devices on the market have some kind of case available. If not, consider a stick-on anchor, like the little plastic hooks with a stick-on pad, like they sell at Walmart in the fastener/picture hanger aisle...as bubber suggested, or possibly a tough zip-lock style baggie?

And, camping and outdoor/sports stores such as Cabellas and Academy sell universal waterproof hardcases for cameras, gps units, and phones. They usually have some anchor points for a tether, although most are designed to simply protect the unit if dropped in the water or mud, but dont allow much functionality while in the case. There are some that do however.

And maybe some zipties fastened around a square device might allow you to clip a lanyard to it....failing all that..when you lose or drop something, make sure the replacement has a loop of some kind built-in!