IGNORED

cooler racks

Sideoftheroad

I remember coming across that post some time ago. Probably when I 1st was looking into trailers.

After talking with Ponch, at least for my trip coming up I am sticking w/ the furniture dolly. I have attached some pics of it all finished.

After my 5 day trip I have coming up in about 3 weeks to STAR Days, I will look into a more permanent solution like the creeper, other suggestions you fine folks have made or see if Ponch will make me one if/when he has time.

Also I recently bought some shelves on wheels from work. They have been selling stuff from time to time as things get consolidated. Wife must have taken one of the shelves out as when I saw it out in the open a lightbulb came on. I put the cooler on top of it and it fits pretty well. Even has holes on the side for bungee cords. The metal is kinda thin but seems to be pretty sturdy. I tried flexing it and I couldn't. I have attached pics of the shelf too.

And just now thinking about it even fireplace grates where you sit wood on top of would work. I saw one at Ace Hardware. Those are definetly heavy duty.

Ponch mentioned flat adjustable bungee cords to me so I found some at Lowe's. They are stretched pretty tight, but work pretty well. The cooler really doesn't move at all.

I found what looks to be heavy duty adjustable cords on the net, but the ones that I bought should work just fine. I am not sure of the brand though. http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/df72/#description

I had to remove the staples from the carpeting to get to the screws holding the castors attached to the dolly. Now that I know it is phillips head, if I ever have to do it again, I can just cut a slit where they screws are at and use a screwdriver instead of having to remove the carpet. I have a staple gun so no problems restapling the carpet.

All in all I would say I have about $16-$17 in the furniture dolly, u-bolts and eyelets.

Again what do you guys think (yes even the bad)

Edited by Sideoftheroad

Again what do you guys think (yes even the bad)

I think you will have to give us a long term report. Wood is very strong in compression, and not so strong in torsion or shearing. Those are the forces that the rack will experience.

As a dolly, the wood is being compressed. The load is on the carpeted sections, transmitting the weight straight down to the wheels. The longitudinal sections just hold it together.

As a rack, the wood is being forced to support the tipping moment of the cooler. You know, like a see-saw. It's strong looking wood, but I wouldn't be surprised if cracks start to develop in the long term.

Let us know how it works for you!

Dave

Jerry,

I think the dolly will work, at least temporarily. Another option is in the shelving department of your home improvement store. Some sell plated wire shelving by the foot. They will cut it for you.

Monty made his own from a piece of stainless sheet metal that he bent four sides up about an inch. It works great!

Still another option is to give me the dimensions you want and I'll build you an angle iron bracket. Later we can build a more permanent solution.

Actually, I bought some angle aluminum from Lowe's, and made a frame. I then mounted it to the trailer, and used a sheet of steel for the "floor". It was kind of crude, as I built it in a hurry, and I don't have a tig welder, or any metalworking tools, but it doesn't look too bad, and it worked great.

Lowe's sells all kinds of steel and aluminum in different lengths.

I found this on ebay

I had the same type on my old camper

It is adjustable 30.00

Cooler Rack

Ride Safe

Dave

Dave,

Didn't think about it until I looked down, but I already have a couple of them. It is the pretty much the same shape as a CPU stand. There are others out there that have flat bottoms but as you can see mine has a channel on the end and then comes up.

http://i.ebayimg.com/04/!BwyE+OgB2k~$(KGrHqUOKiMEwQ70HZ3QBMKkhH0Nc!~~_35.JPG