IGNORED

1984 Venture Royale ignition coil.

I find that the number 2 cylinder on my bike is not firing so I swapped the #2 and #4 plug leads to see if the problem lay with the ignition coil and is appears that this is so.

Does anyone know if there is an easier way of replacing the coil other than the way Yamaha intended this to be done, ie remove the fairing, the motor, cut a section out of the frame, replace the coil and then reverse the process.

Many thanks.

Whooo there my friend!

I don't know what you been reading but YES! There is a easier way!

Remove side panels, false tank cover, air box, battery box and you will see the mounting points for the coil mounting plate. Remove the bolts and you can work the entire plate out of the bike through the top.

I would say that would be the easiest way as the bolts that hold the coils are are not going to be easy to remove.

Cutting the frame? Remove motor? Stop listening to the voices! They will make you crazy! But then again......you will fit right in with this group.

Mike

Hey Brian,

While the removal of the coils is not what I would call a "Fun" job, while you are there, you may want to take care of a few other nasty problems at the same time.

Snaggletooth is correct, the side covers, false tank cover, air box and battery box make the coil removal a lot easier. While you are there a new set of spark plug wires and the removal/relocation of the TCI unit are other great projects to be done at the same time.

If you need coils or other parts please feel free to PM me.:thumbsup2:

Earl

I find that the number 2 cylinder on my bike is not firing so I swapped the #2 and #4 plug leads to see if the problem lay with the ignition coil and is appears that this is so.

Does anyone know if there is an easier way of replacing the coil other than the way Yamaha intended this to be done, ie remove the fairing, the motor, cut a section out of the frame, replace the coil and then reverse the process.

Many thanks.

You have mail :canada::canada::canada:

Thanks to all for the replies and I will contact Stewart this evening regarding the offer of a coil.

Now back to business.

I have re-welded the frame, re-installed the engine and replaced the fairing, and I am starting from scratch again because I forgot to replace the coil when the engine was out. :rotfl:

I have now reached the point where all I have left of the information supplied by Snaggletooth is a portion of the removal of the air box. What is left of this unit is the outer shell, ie like a box with the top and bottom removed, which I thought would just lift off, but this does not appear to be the case.

Should I just use the sledge hammer method to remove this or is there something hidden which is holding this in place.

Many thanks.

Thank you for the reply and I now have this removed.

In response to the information from Snaggletooth, can he, or someone else, tell me where the "mounting points for the coil mounting plate" are? In fact I can't see a single bolt that could be removed without first removing the entire fairing.

Don't know if this will help you at all.

In the picture the coils have been removed already, but you can see the mounting points for them on the left side of picture, above the YICS chamber (only on 83-85's)

Gary

Whooo there my friend!

I don't know what you been reading but YES! There is a easier way!

Remove side panels, false tank cover, air box, battery box and you will see the mounting points for the coil mounting plate. Remove the bolts and you can work the entire plate out of the bike through the top.

I would say that would be the easiest way as the bolts that hold the coils are are not going to be easy to remove.

Mike

I may need a coil. Originally I thought you had to remove the fairing completely.And I tried a short cut by removing the battery box and getting to the phillips coil mount screws w/#3 tip in a 1/4" drive socket just. It worked on one screw. But not the others. Now, if what you say is true about getting the coil tray out(4 bolts) after removing mainly the air and battery boxs.:bowdown:..makes me feel I can do it if I have to. Tell me you are not kidding. Oh, and what exactly is there to gain by relocating the TCI. Other than when it's bad it's easier to change.

Edited by jasonm.

Here is another picture I found with the coils still in & all wiring still in.

This is on an 83, so there is an odd looking throttle cable connector in there.

Yup, there are coils in there.

Let me know how that plan of not pulling fairings works out for you boys.

Gary

I'll admit....I had my bike naked when I pulled the coil mounting plate but I'm sure it can be done with the fairing on. I pulled the plate out through the top of the frame once the bolts were out. I had a bad coil on mine early on and ended up pulling all the coils and changing them out with better one. I had 12 to choose from at the time. Took the four that tested the closest together and used them.

I had to use a hand impact, a Dremel Tool and a die grinder to get all my bolts out. They were pretty bad. Replaced with SS Allen heads and anti seize.

As far as relocating the TCI, not too hard to do. A little rearranging of the harness and it can be worked up to mount on the top of the air box. The biggest failure on these seems to be from moisture. There are weep holes in the bottom of the TCI and if you look at where it is mounted you can see it's a poor location for exposure to the elements. The move to top of the air box is a dryer location, not to mention an easier change out in a failure.

Thanks to all for the replies and I will contact Stewart this evening regarding the offer of a coil.

Brian: I'm leaving town Wednesday for a couple of weeks, I would like to get this bank of coils in your hands before I leave so you can move forward. Are you in the LM? Give me a call or phone # to see what can be done. :canada::canada::canada:

I thought I should post this because it may explain some problems with working on these bikes.

A few years after the Ventures were introduced I was told by a Japanese acquaintance who claimed to have worked for Yamaha that a considerable amount of input into the design of these bikes came from representatives of Yamaha Dealers who wanted something so difficulty to work on that the majority of buyers would have the Dealers do any maintenence or repairs.

I don't know if this is true, but when I consider that if the plate to which the coils are attached were angled forward about 20 or 30 degrees, and maybe even less, and the bolts (screws) holding the coils in place were inserted from the rear of the machine rather than from the front, changing a coil would be a snap, so I suspect there just may be something in this story.

Of course I may be completely wrong, but If I ever get them out I certainly will try to re-install them this way.

I'll admit....I had my bike naked when I pulled the coil mounting plate but I'm sure it can be done with the fairing on. I pulled the plate out through the top of the frame once the bolts were out. I had a bad coil on mine early on and ended up pulling all the coils and changing them out with better one.

So, has anyone removed the "coil plate" w/o removing the fairing pieces? I know where the 4 bolts holding the plate are located and it looks pretty tight behind the black "inner panels". I just put the fairing back together and am not about to tear it apart again if I don't need to. I can say this venture has been much easier than most Honda GoldWings to do any work. But that's another story...