IGNORED

Color Rite Paint

Rickster

I think, though I could be wrong, that V7Goose had problems with the clear coat.

I purchased a pint of their Black Cherry (very dark red metallic #2) for my trunk spoiler and Wagner Grille. Looks like a perfect match to me. The folks who painted them supplied the thinning agent and clear coat. I've not noticed any color change at all. Of course, that's on a dark color where yellowing might not be as noticeable.

Guest PlaneCrazy

I used Color Rite to paint a Harley batwing fairing to match my Shadow a couple of years ago and it's very nice paint, but it's expensive. Then last winter, I painted a Gixxer project bike and found a local paint source that was half the price as Color Rite and could match any OEM paints and the kits were practically identical... 2 part Urethane, reducer, etc.. Check around your area and ask the local body shops where they buy their paints and I bet you'll find a local source much cheaper. Plus it's always nice to deal locally... this place gave me a lot of advice, they had my paint order mixed while I waited (I had to wait over a week for Color Rite to ship me their paint) and they threw some freebies in like tack cloths and 5000 grit sandpaper for the clear-coat polishing.

I've heard good things about their color matches and haven't heard anything negative about the clear coat. You better believe that others with more experience will chime in and let you know if I'm wrong....lol

I repainted the front half of the right saddlebag lid with all ColorRite paint a few years back. Silver is very hard to properly match, but the initial results were darned near perfect.

Unfortunately, within a year the repaired section started taking on a distinctive gold tint, and two years later it is disgustingly and horribly yellow - almost like an old wicker chair. Anybody who looked at my Silver 05 sitting up near the porch at Don's MD should have immediately seen that horrible color on the right bag top. I'd fix it, but I take a perverse pleasure leaving it there so I can show it to everyone as a caution on how bad ColorRite paint is!

My advice is to pay whatever it takes to have a good body shop do the paint matching and DO NOT waste your money on ColorRite!!!

Goose

I purchased a spray can of Colorite's Deep Purplish Blue Metallic Yamaha Blue to do some touch up on my '07 RSV fairing, tank, cowling and trunk. Ole dumb me, I didn't do any test painting. Wanted to "giterdone" and ride. Big mistake. I now have a blue camoflage RSV. New paint was much lighter. Still scratching my head about what to do but will definitely contact ColoRite. Maybe I ordered the wrong paint.

No. I just checked my order. I ordered the correct paint DPBML. They shipped DPBMC. I didn't catch or know there was a difference. The can said Deep Purplish Blue Metallic. Whose fault. Mine I guess since I have the camoflage job.:depressed:

Bottom line, make sure you get what you order. Hope this helps.

Jim

My '91 needs some touch-up painting and I've been wondering if it actually could be matched. It's a black paint with very tiny specs of blue metalic that are only visible in direct sunlight. The second color is also a very dark gray with the same small blue flecks. Can they actually match those colors??? I can't find this color combination listed anywhere for the '91??? I don't think it's a repaint as I found another upper fairing with the exact same combo, and that's the one I planned on touching up..

if you take a panel the color you want to an automotive paint store ,they can computor scan it and match the color. never done it but the paint store where i buy my paint supplies says they can do it. i think body shops do it all the time. :2133:

That's how they matched the color on my lower fairing on the millenium. Perfect match. From what I understand that is a tough color to match.

That's how they matched the color on my lower fairing on the millenium. Perfect match. From what I understand that is a tough color to match.

The blue metal flake is what causes me to question. I know a spectrometer will pick up the overall color and probably read the blue flake as a tint in the paint, but will it pick it up as a flake??? I guess these guys know a heck of a lot more than I do and a trip to the auto paint suppy store dragging a fairing is in order.

Take it to a bodyshop you know and trust!! I do body and paint for a living and spray dupont and we do stand behind it for as long as you own it! hat being said i have seen color rite stuff and yes it might match but unless you use a catolized product it will have issues down the road. Yes the camera we use to take a pic of the part to a match will pick up the pearl I have painted one of the black met parts before. Alot of shops dont have one because they cost around 10K. Good luck!!

Painted a trunk light wing this weekend with very dark red metallic Colorite rattle-can.

Perfect match!

The Colorite documentation states that if you use TOO many coats of the clearcoat, it may yellow. I used three..no yellowing...but the dark red may "hide" any yellowing.

HTH....

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
I purchased a spray can of Colorite's Deep Purplish Blue Metallic Yamaha Blue to do some touch up on my '07 RSV fairing, tank, cowling and trunk. Ole dumb me, I didn't do any test painting. Wanted to "giterdone" and ride. Big mistake. I now have a blue camoflage RSV. New paint was much lighter. Still scratching my head about what to do but will definitely contact ColoRite. Maybe I ordered the wrong paint.

No. I just checked my order. I ordered the correct paint DPBML. They shipped DPBMC. I didn't catch or know there was a difference. The can said Deep Purplish Blue Metallic. Whose fault. Mine I guess since I have the camoflage job.:depressed:

Bottom line, make sure you get what you order. Hope this helps.

Jim

Let's see if I can get it rite? this time. After further review, I did order the correct paint, "DARK purplish blue metallic". What they sent was "Deep purplish blue metallic", which is a little lighter color and used on some other Yammy models.

When I called ColorRite about it, they immediately saw their error and are now shipping me the correct paint.

Kudos to ColorRite. They corrected their error and now I have to correct mine when the paint arrives.

Goose: If you apply too many layers of clearcoat it will have a tendency to yellow!!!!!!

I applied their product exactly in accordance with their printed instructions provided with the product. In my opinion, Color Rite paint is crap and not worth any price.

Goose

color rite paint is a pain if the paint does not match,its all your fault,you mail it back and they give you the run around.I made that 200.00 mistake.The paint store matched better and cheaper by 150.00.I used paint store paint and clear no issues at all.I wont waste my money again.

I've got an 84 Gold and cannot get the paint matched anywhere. Colorite has no listings for that or even the 87 which is the same color. I've been to numerous body shops and so far none have been able to get it right. They even tell me that it is hard to do because of the heavy metallic.

Hey Wizard if the bodyshops cant match it did they give you reason? If they cant do it them selves they should be able to call there paint rep and have someone come out and match it that is very good at it. I have a rep with dupont that if I have a color I cant match or get close with he will come out and work on it. The cameras are great to a point but Idont trust them all the time. If it has a heavy metalic in it like I have seen with some bikes and boats they might not have that big of a metal flake and it may have to be a custom mix. Most of your stuff now is pearls with some metal flakes in them or tri coats. I think the milliniams are a white tri coat like your cadilacs and such but not sure since I have never seen one. That is what I put on mine is a white tri coat, white base with a pearl over it and the more pearl you put the more it will change in tint.

Twice I have had stuff painted that were color matched by profesional paint shops and it didn't match either time. Most people didn't even notice until I told them but I did. This time I bought the paint and reducer from color rite and had the paint shop use his clear coat and it is a perfect match.

Maybe have a profesional do it makes a difference.