IGNORED

Harley Demo rides

eazyduzzit

I've been thinking about buying another bike in a few months, and Harley was giving demos at the Knoxville bike rally this past weekend. I was surprised at some things I liked about the Harley.

I hadn't ridden a Harley in years, and when I fired the first one up I thought "No"! It had the old Harley shake, but as soon as I started moving it smoothed right out. The first one I rode was an Ultra, and it was very smooth. The other things I liked was the low end power and the braking. The brakes seemed much better than my RSTD. It also handled better when stopping at red lights if that makes sense.

Then I tried a Road Glide. It seemed basically the same except the riding position. After riding about 10 miles my back was hurting. I don't know if it was the way the handlebars were adjusted or what, but I was disappointed in the ride.

Then I tried an Electraglide Classic and it rode better than the Ultra. I really liked it.I think they are basically the same bike, and I think it was just the way the controls were adjusted.

Overall I was pretty happy with the way they rode. I think I was expecting more vibration and worse handling. :confused24:

I rode a new Ultra Classic a couple weeks ago and was likewise surprised how it smoothed out off of idle. I didn't like how close the floorboards were and the amount of heat off the front cylinder. What I was really surprised about was the price. A 2010 Ultra Classic stickered right around 21,000 while the goldwing comes in at close to 25,000 to get the cb installed and the victory vision is about the same as the wing. Still a good bit more than the venture, but if you want the v-twin touring, then not such a bad deal. (can't believe I just said that)

Like I've said before, I went with the RSV after #1) I fell in love with that retro dash the first time I saw one and 2) While on the way to MD this year we saw hundreds of motorcycles, maybe a thousand, and 90% of those were HD Ultra's. I just didn't want another of what everybody else out there is riding.

I just didn't want another of what everybody else out there is riding.

I have to agree. Everywhere you turn you see that batwing fairing coming at you. I'm a long way from making up my mind what I want.

I do know that after a few long trips this year I would like to own a full touring bike. I have friends with Ventures and Harleys, and both swear their bikes are 10 times more comfortable than the other bikes.

On our trip to DC a couple of weeks ago we met a GW rider on the Blue Ridge PKWY. We asked him to snap a picture of us with my bike. As soon as he walked over and saw my bike he said "It's my bike!" he had just traded his RSTD in on Goldwing.

I told him I was wanting a bike with radio/fairing and trunk and more comfortable seats, and he proceeded to tell me how much he loved his GW. He said if you rode one you wouldn't have anything else, and went on and on and on. He was a very likable fellow.

I have ridden a Venture and a few Harleys, but I still haven't rode a Goldwing.

I like Ventures and have become addicted to this site, but I don't like that they make no improvements from year to year. Every year folks on this forum speculate on what the new year will bring, and every year the new one comes out with a cassette player and 4 carburetors. If it weren't for that I would have my decision made.

I didn't mean for this post to be so long, but I've been thinking about this for a while.

There are things I don't like about the Ultra too. It's air cooled and Karen said she felt more crowded, with me being shoved back against her. I'm sure there are other bikes I should look at, but I can't stand the looks of some.

I have to agree. Everywhere you turn you see that batwing fairing coming at you. I'm a long way from making up my mind what I want.

I do know that after a few long trips this year I would like to own a full touring bike. I have friends with Ventures and Harleys, and both swear their bikes are 10 times more comfortable than the other bikes.

On our trip to DC a couple of weeks ago we met a GW rider on the Blue Ridge PKWY. We asked him to snap a picture of us with my bike. As soon as he walked over and saw my bike he said "It's my bike!" he had just traded his RSTD in on Goldwing.

I told him I was wanting a bike with radio/fairing and trunk and more comfortable seats, and he proceeded to tell me how much he loved his GW. He said if you rode one you wouldn't have anything else, and went on and on and on. He was a very likable fellow.

I like Ventures and have become addicted to this site, but I don't like that they make no improvements from year to year. Every year folks on this forum speculate on what the new year will bring, and every year the new one comes out with a cassette player and 4 carburetors. If it weren't for that I would have my decision made.

I didn't mean for this post to be so long, but I've been thinking about this for a while.

There are things I don't like about the Ultra too. It's air cooled and Karen said she felt more crowded, with me being shoved back against her. I'm sure there are other bikes I should look at, but I can't stand the looks of some.

I agree on their non-existant upgrades. I took that stupid cassette out and put ponch's gauges in there. As far as the carbs go, for older technology, they are pretty flawless and the reason I still like having carbs is if I have a problem I can usually fix it. Now as soon as they go to fuel injection, the beast is heading to the shop. Where I live, you don't want that to happen. One of the worst dealers around in my opinion. I like being able to service my bike.

I agree on their non-existant upgrades. I took that stupid cassette out and put ponch's gauges in there. As far as the carbs go, for older technology, they are pretty flawless and the reason I still like having carbs is if I have a problem I can usually fix it. Now as soon as they go to fuel injection, the beast is heading to the shop. Where I live, you don't want that to happen. One of the worst dealers around in my opinion. I like being able to service my bike.

Well there's not much that can go wrong with an injector. Lot less parts no diaphram to rip needles, jets, floats, gumming up, etc all the things that can go wrong with a carb.

You can add a fairing pretty easy, ask me how :) and if you want a radio, you can get that too, just costs more money. The seat can be changed out pretty easy as well. But I do understand the allure of a new bike, but you never seem to find out all of the little "characteristics" about the bikes until AFTER you buy one. The RSTD/RSV are basically bullet proof bikes as far as mechanicals go. Comfort and stying are subjective and fairly easy to change.

Well there's not much that can go wrong with an injector. Lot less parts no diaphram to rip needles, jets, floats, gumming up, etc all the things that can go wrong with a carb.

All of which costs less to fix or replace for all four carbs than the price of one injector. Which has a coil that can go bad. And why do they sell injector cleaner? How much is a trip to the shop to hook it up to their computer so that it'll work at the top of the mountain you want to visit?

I do not envy fuel injection.

All of which costs less to fix or replace for all four carbs than the price of one injector. Which has a coil that can go bad. And why do they sell injector cleaner? How much is a trip to the shop to hook it up to their computer so that it'll work at the top of the mountain you want to visit?

I do not envy fuel injection.

they sell injector cleaner because they know the same folks that buy oil additives will buy it. i have five bikes with injection and never had a problem. in fact it has been years since i have had a motor vehicle with a carb. in several 100,000 miles i have never had an injection related problem on any of my bikes or vehicles. no doubt injection is far superior to a carb. :2133:

I thought I wanted a wing before I got my venture. My brother-in-law has a wing and let my wife and I take it for a ride. I was disappointed and lost my enthusiasm for a wing. I'm not knocking the wing. It is the ultimate touring bike, but it's not for me. Everyone has their personal opinion so you can't say ride a wing and you won't want any other bike.

I'll have to agree with Don.

Now that everyone is over that shock you still couldn't catch a 1st Gen!!!

The last Hardley I had was a 56 Pan. Shook itself apart. Ride a hr then tighten bolts for a hr. But it was a beautiful ride. Rigid frame, raked 45 degrees, extended 16 inches, Springer Front, two gal tank moulded to frame, 14 inch ape hangers, Candy Apple Red with Gold Metalflake. Oh the memories......

I didn't mean to start an argument on the virtues of FI vs carbs. I just

think Yamaha is ignoring what could be a good market for them.

If they would upgrade the Venture, there are lots of us who prefer

the cruiser look, but want the goodies found on a touring bike.

My wife and I both like the looks of a venture more than the looks

of a GW or a Harley, but mammy just slaps some flame decals on

and say "there's yer new model". It seems like an insult to me.

Not one you started. This one has been going on for a few years. Most of us would love to see FI Yamahas. If there was a setup that didn't break the bank I could throw on my 1st Gen I would be in line!!!

FJR, just got to ride a new one at our dealer...new top on my list.

I'll have to agree with Don.

Now that everyone is over that shock you still couldn't catch a 1st Gen!!!

The last Hardley I had was a 56 Pan. Shook itself apart. Ride a hr then tighten bolts for a hr. But it was a beautiful ride. Rigid frame, raked 45 degrees, extended 16 inches, Springer Front, two gal tank moulded to frame, 14 inch ape hangers, Candy Apple Red with Gold Metalflake. Oh the memories......

Yep, I agree! But I remember a bad back and no desire to ride more than 2 miles. Mine was a 47' rigid with a built pan engine and a 22" wide glide.

:farmer:

FJR, just got to ride a new one at our dealer...new top on my list.

FJR is a Great motor crippled by the WORST fairing/windsheild design out there. I bought a new 07 and loved everything except the wind noise and turbulance. I fought it for two years and 5 different windscreens. I "finally" got past the worst of the turbulance, however the windnoise remained a real PIB. I had to wear earplugs the whole time I had it (something not necessary on my old Ducati, my BMW Dakar or my Venture!) If you go to any of the FJR websites you'll find LOTS of folks with the same identical problem. Makes ya wonder if the guys that designed it ever actually RODE one. On the other hand, handlling was great and power was unreal....If ya want want, be SURE to ride it first and make sure it works for YOU!

I think the Ultra is a beautiful bike and there would be one parked beside my RSV too if I could afford/justify it.

Don--I bought my 86 VR new and its been paid for, for a lot of years. I would take it anywhere at a moments notice. Love that bike! That why I still have it in the barn and still ride it.

Found a deal on the 09 Ultra,couldn't pass it up.Its a great bike. Different ride than my touring crouch rocket.

If anyone could bump the Yam. engine up to say 1800 and put it in my Ultra frame along with the liquid cooling and shaft drive---Make the bags a little larger (wider)---it would be almost perfect for me.:sign woo hoo:

I think the Ultra is a beautiful bike and there would be one parked beside my RSV too if I could afford/justify it.

I agree with you on this but in reverse. Love the look of the RSV and hope to have one in the garage beside the Ultra.