IGNORED

Clutch and brake fluid

hydraulicman

I found a Prestone synthetic DOT 4 it says it is good for DOT 3 & 4 applications. Is this a good fluid for our Gen 2 bikes? Thanks for all your help.

As I understand it, any and all up to, but not including, DOT5 are compatible/mixable. DOT5 is a special "breed" apart.

The DOT4 has higher temperature limits.

Like stated above, DON'T use DOT 5 as it is Silicone based and will destroy the seals in most brake systems. Also it is NOT miscible with water, so you have to change it much more often. Most people who use it change it monthly.......... but it is usually in race cars.

DOT 3 and DOT 4 are usable.

Change the fluid annually.

I like using Valvoline Synthetic fluid as my local auto parts store carries it.

http://www.valvoline.com/admin/p28.png

BTW DOT 5.1 is usable in our bikes but I have not found it on any auto parts shelf.... maybe I could find it at a "speed shop".

• 4 weeks later...

I had to order DOT 5.1 online since none of the local stores carried it. A bit pricey too. I used Motul 5.1 not to be confused with DOT 5. 5.1 has a higher boiling point and so far here in the heat of Florida it seems to work better then the DOT 4. Or maybe the heat is just playing tricks with my mind....:smile5:

I had to order DOT 5.1 online since none of the local stores carried it. A bit pricey too. I used Motul 5.1 not to be confused with DOT 5. 5.1 has a higher boiling point and so far here in the heat of Florida it seems to work better then the DOT 4. Or maybe the heat is just playing tricks with my mind....:smile5:

Didn't take long to get answers to that!!!:whistling:

I use the One shown by KiteSquid. But then stopping is not my number one priority.

I tend to just run over things!!!:Avatars_Gee_George: