IGNORED

Trust no one, front axle.

Well here is a cautionary tale about whom you entrust your bike to do 'work' on it.. Make sure they know what they are doing, and that if it's an indy shop, at least have a frikken book and qualified techs.

I just had my front tire replaced by a local shop who called me to inform me that there is something wrong with my front axle.. Ut oh..

They said they had a beast of a time turning the axle out after removing the pinch bolt and when it finally let loose, it was bone dry and in horrific shape. Worse on that, the threads show signs of 'firing' which I believe means steel on aluminum friction heat did some damage in there somewhere. He found melted or ground metal in the threads etc.

Good news is that after cleaning out the threads, he's found them to be in good enough shape to be 'serviceable' both on the axle and fork end. Bad news is that it's highly recommended getting a new axle and a helicoil insert on the fork to 100% make sure all is good.

When questioned if at all possible that it was just a hell of a lot of highway riding that might have taken all the grease off the axle or heavy rains etc contributing to the situation, he shook his head and said, no.. whom ever installed this did not do it properly. If it was my shop, I'd be responsible for repairing your bike.. of course he knows it wasn't his shop who did that last tire change so it was a nice statement all the same, I'd hold him to it..

However, I DO know which shop did it and man.. VERY disappointed with them since they had always done my tires. I'll purchase from them again but never have their monkeys touch the bike again.. wow.. how scary is that! And this after a 7500 mile road trip through the USA..

now to hunt for a new axle and then get this fixed up properly. (recommendations?)

Goose gave me some keen pointers about tire installations, and what to "demand" when having a shop do your tires.. of which this shop actually do every time.. he saw the junk the other shop left behind, the same shop that nearly killed my front axle.

Shame, they 'were' highly reputable.. until now.

Word of caution, ensure the indy shops you deal with know of what they talk about.. Hence why I carry a DVD with the shop manuals on it with me when I travel.. just in case.

I know I did not put any grease on my rear axle, but definitely greased all my splines as recommended. As for the front axle, I think it is not required to grease the axle. However, I remember that some members do recommend at least apply a small amount of grease to the front axle for easy removal next time.

Is your shop trying to say that there should be grease on the front axle , if so, this may have prevented any damage. (?)

I know I did not put any grease on my rear axle, but definitely greased all my splines as recommended. As for the front axle, I think it is not required to grease the axle. However, I remember that some members do recommend at least apply a small amount of grease to the front axle for easy removal next time.

Is your shop trying to say that there should be grease on the front axle , if so, this may have prevented any damage. (?)

Page 7-7 indicates lubricating the front axle amongst other items with lithium soap based grease, so yeah, lubrication is indicated. He said it was dry and seized up hence the problem with removing the axle bolt.

For peace of mind and safety I'll be ordering a new axle and bearings and seals etc.. costs around $150 for the whole setup.. sucks but better safe than sorry.. I do plan to keep this bike for a long while.. (I better, I've put enough new parts on it ;) 45,000 miles in two years I've had it.. (65,000 miles total now)

I've got a bike in my shop now where I have not been able to drive the axle out with a 3lb. sledge. Of course it's also in here because something is wrong with the assembly and the caliper carrier is rubbing the wheel.

Axles should always get some grease or anti seize so they come out next time.

Thanks but already ordered new axle and bearings etc etc from another source, I figured that yeah I could get them cheaper from pinwall if they have it but in what shape? Got a good price so no worries.

I think somebody is trying to cover their a$$. Sounds to me like they tried to get the axle out without loosening the pinch bolt first. You don't need a whole lot of grease on the axle. Maybe just a little to help it slide into the bearing races but that's about it. Nothing turns on that axle. I wouldn't be changing out the bearings unless they got damaged somehow when they tried to pull the axle. Just turn them with your finger with the wheel off and if you don't feel any roughness they should be fine.

Page 7-7 indicates lubricating the front axle amongst other items with lithium soap based grease, so yeah, lubrication is indicated. He said it was dry and seized up hence the problem with removing the axle bolt.

For peace of mind and safety I'll be ordering a new axle and bearings and seals etc.. costs around $150 for the whole setup.. sucks but better safe than sorry.. I do plan to keep this bike for a long while.. (I better, I've put enough new parts on it ;) 45,000 miles in two years I've had it.. (65,000 miles total now)

The mileage on your bike is impressive. As for greasing the front axle, your input is much appreciated as I am getting close in replacing my front tire. As far as grease is concerned, I may just use Honda Moly60 since I have plenty left. BTW, why are you replacing bearings and seals in addition to the axle? Is it cheaper to buy them as one assembly/setup?

The mileage on your bike is impressive. As for greasing the front axle, your input is much appreciated as I am getting close in replacing my front tire. As far as grease is concerned, I may just use Honda Moly60 since I have plenty left. BTW, why are you replacing bearings and seals in addition to the axle? Is it cheaper to buy them as one assembly/setup?

Yeah it's just a small amount of grease required.. as suggested by others to make it easier to install and remove and to foreign matter out.

As I mentioned earlier, it's for the 'peace of mind' that I'm replacing all the parts. I'm getting the parts at a very good price so it's worth the while to replace them and the other parts as well.

Same the neck bearings, I'm having them replaced instead of 'repacking' them.. might as well put new ones in for a few dollars more.

Same the neck bearings, I'm having them replaced instead of 'repacking' them.. might as well put new ones in for a few dollars more.

Yeah, the labor for packing or replacing is pretty much the same. It's a small step up to just use new ones.

Yeah it's just a small amount of grease required.. as suggested by others to make it easier to install and remove and to foreign matter out.

As I mentioned earlier, it's for the 'peace of mind' that I'm replacing all the parts. I'm getting the parts at a very good price so it's worth the while to replace them and the other parts as well.

As you do your bearings, can you share some pics as you go along? You know, a pic to me is worth a thousand words. :grandpa:

As you do your bearings, can you share some pics as you go along? You know, a pic to me is worth a thousand words.

The wheel bearings? Simple stuff, the images are in the manual.. ? Or do you mean the neck bearings? If able to I'll grab some shots..