IGNORED

Had My First Motorcycle Accident Today

Dmnordin

My '83 Yamaha Venture is my 4th bike I've owned - last year I commuted 10,000 miles between Park City & Orem. I've never had a motorcycle accident, always wear my helmet, armored jacket, gloves, clothes (no shorts, flip flops - I don't get it when I see others riding bikes like that). I've made great efforts to be educated, practice riding skills, and be extremely aware when I ride.

I'm embarrassed to say that I apparently wasn't careful enough today - it happened a block & a half away from my house- It felt good to be getting off to work on my bike. I had barely turned Left onto 400 South into the Center Turn Lane from 1000 West. I had checked everywhere for cars, moving & parked, and was actively monitoring the West-bound, 400 S lane to merge going west onto 400 south. I noticed a green blur to my right as a green Kia executed a U-turn from the far curb, turning in front of me - I knew there was no way I could stop fast enough (I did get in some braking) & I didn't have the space to evade. I t-boned her car right in front of her left, rear wheel, and her momentum brought my bike down onto it's left side (happened 60 feet from 1000 West, so I was starting to accelerate and wasn't going very fast - I've had worse snowmobiling accidents). I can't lift my bike, so some people helped get it up on two wheels again. I got a bump on my forehead - not sure how that happened with my helmet on -, my right thumb was jambed some, and my right elbow might be injured - I need to have an orthopedic doc or radiologist look at xrays I got from my chiropractor.

The police officer didn't issue any citations; he said we were both at fault..Her for turning in front of me, and me for moving in/trying to merge from the left turn lane (Center Lane). She was looking in the traffic lane for on-coming cars, and not the center turn lane, & I hadn't realized there was someone ready to drive who was parked on the far curb - I was paying attention to possible traffic I would have to merge into.

I don't know yet how much damage my bike sustained - the front suspension took the brunt of it, and the handle bars took the brunt of stopping my mass from moving forward, and the fairing glass in front of the headlights broke from hitting her car. Her car has 3 or 4 dents and some exchanged paint. I did ride the bike home with the handlebars askew to the right. I'm most concerned about my front wheel, forks, fork tree, and frame.

I'm pretty ticked off at myself - I just finished getting my bike riding ready, and I was very excited to ride today, commute this week, and go on the Provo chapter ride this Saturday. Now I have to assess the damage, find parts, fix damage, and drive my cage in the mean time. I also missed out on a couple hundred dollars of work today.

This was a minor accident, and I'm fine (just shook up this afternoon), so I guess life is good, and now I know how to be a little more aware/careful of an unusual, Left Turn situation - kind of a double left turn situation, since my turning left & trying to merge right distracted me from noticing the other left turner/U turner. I could have also been a little easier about my acceleration.

I'm bummed out to have to deal with the frustration & stress of working through this (instead of riding). Anyways, live & learn, and hopefully it won't be too expensive - I hope Progressive is good to deal with. $100 deductible is good news (instead of $500 + deductible).

Doug Nordin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear your ok.....the Motor is much easier to fix. Sounds like you did a great job braking to minimize damage and injury. Make sure you get checked out by a Doctor and let the insurance company fight out the fault problem.

It is always a good thing when you have an accident and live to ride another day!!!

Glad to hear you are doing so well.

Also good to hear it wasn't worse, and now somebody else knows why it's called a left turn lane and not a merge lane,,,, done some of those myself a number of times, until I just about done it in last year,,, or was that 2 years ago,,,, don't matter, it was then that I thought how dangerous this left turn lane is when you are merging right,,,,, yep, not there to merge right on, you need to cross that lane and turn left into the traffic lane,,,, lucky you didn't get a ticket for that one, the officer was nice to you me thinks.

Thank you everyone.

I hurt pretty good today. I went to my Chiropractor yesterday and had him take some X-rays of my right arm - it got to hurting pretty bad by the end of the day. He thinks I might have a tendon that is partially separated from the bone where it hurts on my elbow - I'm going to have him check out my jambed thumb as well. I have an appointment tomorrow morning with an orthopedic surgeon to get another opinion. My Progressive policy has a $1000 medical portion. I'll have to check my health insurance from work to see what it would cover if I need treatment.

Progressive is filing a claim with the girl's insurance co. for me - they said they think she has more fault than I do since I was established where I was & she turned out in front of me. I'll let them sort it out. I think I'll have them replace my helmet - part of the white foam is crushed around where I got my bump on my head. If they deem my bike a total loss, that'll take care of my second gear problem that is starting to show it's ugly head - replace the bike! One silver lining.

My wife told me she was very happy that I remembered/requested that we have our normal family prayer yesterday morning. Years ago, I was in terrible auto-pedestrian accident (I was the pedestrian - a girl hit my car door while I was standing in between it & my blazer, closing the door on my legs - broke both femurs and various other parts of my legs), we hadn't had family prayer that morning.

Thanks again, everyone,

Doug

Also very glad to hear that you are doing just fine, despite your orthopaedic injuries...you are still around with your family. I was just thinking about your helmet situation and without the helmet, this could have been a different story.

I do hope that Progressive is successful in recovering most of your loss.

Take care and heal fast.

Regards.

You're VERY LUCKY that it wasn't worse. I agree with a previous poster that any wreck that you can walk away from is a good one, and now you've come away the wiser too. Glad I live in a rural town and don't have to deal with all that traffic on a daily basis. Don't know how you guys do it.

Heal quickly and fix that ride! Getting back in the saddle asap is important! Uh... as soon as you're ready, that is. :080402gudl_prv:

Thanks everyone...

Here's an update;

The orthopedic surgeon said I might have a broken bone in m right wrist - we'll know in 2 weeks when he re-x-rays it. In the mean time I'm wearing a wrist brace. He thinks my elbow (torn tendon attachment on the bone) will probably heal fine & be stable via scar tissue after several weeks. My Bike medical insurance should cover those expenses.

The adjuster came by this morning. He's totaling the bike, & I'll keep it for $300 salvage fee, and I'll end up with a $1600 check. My policy is for $2000 agreed value on the bike with $100 deductible. My wife wants to put the money in the bank, and it's not really enough to get into something different, so I've decided to buy an 84 intact parts bike from a mechanic friend of mine for $400 that will give me all of the replacement chassis parts I need to fix my '83. I hate to have to fix mine - time & effort wise, but it's the best option available if I want to get back on the road any time soon since I don't know anyone that will give me a nice touring bike (& my wife wants some money in the bank.)

That leaves me with the 2nd gear problem to deal with that is starting to show it's ugly head. I'm planning on buying a 1300 engine from an '86+ Venture, & swapping it into my bike this coming winter (probably use my current carbs for improved mileage). Any one have one for sale?

Doug Nordin

Thanx Dave,

We need to talk about your 1300 engine sometime - looks like I'll have some money now. Obviously I'll be busy with getting my bike un-bent for now, but I can get the 1300 pulled from the frame after I get my '83 on the road again. I'll also need a couple of other parts, like the engine guards so I can mount the scoop I got from you.

Doug