IGNORED

Some new chrome added

Sleeperhawk

I was gonna clean mine up, but I figured I could talk good ol' George in to doing it for me at

MD :fingers-crossed-emo

Come on ol' buddy what ya think?

Ahhhhh mmmmmm NOT no way, besides you bought that dirty color so you wouldn't have to keep it clean. :no-no-no::no-no-no:

Well, thought I at least take a few pics of a clean bike before MD.

Last time up there, it rained and muggy and buggy, so I have proof now that I know what my bike looks like cleaned up with 42000 miles on it. :whistling::whistling:

Looks great...TIP...I put some of them tank bracket chrome covers on my...one of the phillips head screws that hold it on...and the tank... broke after about 10,000 miles and I lost my little chrome cover. I tighted it only with a phillips screw driver. I am not sure what happend. If you loose one. I got one, since I took mine off after one fell off.

Looks great...TIP...I put some of them tank bracket chrome covers on my...one of the phillips head screws that hold it on...and the tank... broke after about 10,000 miles and I lost my little chrome cover. I tighted it only with a phillips screw driver. I am not sure what happend. If you loose one. I got one, since I took mine off after one fell off.

Thanks, so far those brackets have been with me close to 100,000 miles between the 05 and 08.

Looks AWESOME Sleeper!! I've been searching high and low for the chrome covers that sit in between the two cylinders...where the heck did you find them?

gunk:whistling:

Had these since 05, had them on that bike too.

Not sure why Yamaha quit making, seems like about every other bike had them.

Excellent looking bike and great photos!

I too would like to find some of the chrome for between the cylinders and the carb covers but they seem to be discontinued. If anyone has any knowledge of where we can get them please let us know.

Gunky, those used to be in the Star catalog. Not sure if they're still available or not. If I was at home I'd give you the part #'s from my catalog.

Thanks Monty, I've been looking for close to two years now, they were discontinued, just trying to find someone who isn't sold out.....but I don't think it's gonna happen!

gunk:hurts:

I had the same "discontinued" problem with upgraded passenger floorboards. I went to get new rubber pieces and luckily I noticed they were not the same pattern as mine, before I paid for the ordering. And of course, my rubbers are "dissed"!

On the covering up of the space under the carbs .... I had an idea. I have attached a pic from paint, so no laffing! (Tricky to use that mouse) but what I had wanted to do was make a pair of these "plates" and gloss black them. Make them just a hair bigger than the domed decals and attach through the hole in the bracket. Centre the decals and I'm thinking "totally rad man!" But no mechanical abilities here ..... :(

I had the same "discontinued" problem with upgraded passenger floorboards. I went to get new rubber pieces and luckily I noticed they were not the same pattern as mine, before I paid for the ordering. And of course, my rubbers are "dissed"!

On the covering up of the space under the carbs .... I had an idea. I have attached a pic from paint, so no laffing! (Tricky to use that mouse) but what I had wanted to do was make a pair of these "plates" and gloss black them. Make them just a hair bigger than the domed decals and attach through the hole in the bracket. Centre the decals and I'm thinking "totally rad man!" But no mechanical abilities here ..... :(

That would like mighty fine...there's a fella on here that sells engraved clutch and brake resevoir caps...Renne, I wonder if Renne could do something like this?

Well George,

May..just maybe...your bike is cleaner then mine right now..

I cleaned mine last Sunday and it has been sitting since due to storms passing by every day..

However, I uncovered her today and went out and I do have a few bugs on mine now, but they will come off...

Yours is looking really nice guy.. If I still had mine you would have some competition....

I really like mine a bunch.. but its gone and I have to forget about her..

That would like mighty fine...there's a fella on here that sells engraved clutch and brake resevoir caps...Renne, I wonder if Renne could do something like this?

Now we're talking, an engraved VR chromed plate ..... put me down for number one on that list!!! Good blending of ideas gunk!!!! THAT would be a hot seller 4sure!!

...I know what my bike looks like cleaned up with 42000 miles on it. :whistling::whistling:

Yes, indeed, it DOES look sweet!!

I see you have the chrome Stebel airhorn mounted in the "standard" position. Just wondered...have you ever had any thoughts about mounting it in a more "hearable" position? Or maybe adding a second one?

The reason I ask is, my Stebel is in the same location, and after trying to use it several (almost a dozen) times to remind my upfront riding partner (unsuccessfully) to cancel the signal lights on his 99 Intruder....I'm wondering if the sound is traveling as well as it coulda/woulda/shoulda.

It sounds loud as hell to me....as I'm sure yours does to you!!.....it's like a locomotive......but since I was within 100 feet of my buddy and he appeared not to hear me on about every second blast (maybe he was just ignoring me :rasberry:)....I'm worried now how effective my Stebel really is with rolled up window cages on the road ahead. ??? Thoughts???

The horn does make young girls on the sidewalk almost jump out of their shorts (who, me? beep at good looking lasses???), but then, when you think about it, that's exactly where the outlet of the horn is pointed. I wonder what the "up front/off axis" decibel rating is in comparison to the "side fire" level.

Anyone got any opinions or read any reports on this?

Thanks for any info.

Michael

Yes, indeed, it DOES look sweet!!

I see you have the chrome Stebel airhorn mounted in the "standard" position. Just wondered...have you ever had any thoughts about mounting it in a more "hearable" position? Or maybe adding a second one?

The reason I ask is, my Stebel is in the same location, and after trying to use it several (almost a dozen) times to remind my upfront riding partner (unsuccessfully) to cancel the signal lights on his 99 Intruder....I'm wondering if the sound is traveling as well as it coulda/woulda/shoulda.

It sounds loud as hell to me....as I'm sure yours does to you!!.....it's like a locomotive......but since I was within 100 feet of my buddy and he appeared not to hear me on about every second blast (maybe he was just ignoring me :rasberry:)....I'm worried now how effective my Stebel really is with rolled up window cages on the road ahead. ??? Thoughts???

The horn does make young girls on the sidewalk almost jump out of their shorts (who, me? beep at good looking lasses???), but then, when you think about it, that's exactly where the outlet of the horn is pointed. I wonder what the "up front/off axis" decibel rating is in comparison to the "side fire" level.

Anyone got any opinions or read any reports on this?

Thanks for any info.

Michael

During MD, going from hotel to Don's, a car tried to squeze in front from the left side. I hit horn and backed off, the guy literally jerked the car back into his old lane, looked around and saw us. So I do know that a car of the left with windows rolled up heard the horn.

For now I am leaving as is.

• 4 years later...