IGNORED

Free Key - 2nd Genners, Check Your Key Code

V7Goose

OK folks, I have a factory Yamaha key for a 2nd gen - it came from a 2007 RSV - guess I forgot to give the 2nd key to the buyer a few years ago!

There are a limited number of key codes made, so it is quite possible you might have a bike with the same code: A7772

I have no idea if Yamahaha changed the codes from year to year, but if you have any year 2nd gen, I'd suggest you check your key code just in case it matches (only if you want the key, of course!).

Goose

Well, the only sure way is to check the little metal tab that came on one of the key rings with the two keys that were originally provided with the bike. The owner's manual has a place in the front to write that code, since it is what you need for a Yamahaha dealer to replace your key when it is lost. Bur I realize it is highly unlikely anyone actually writes down that code!

I have heard folks say you can see the code under the key cover on the gas cap, but I strongly doubt this. I bought my 05 new and the keys and gas cap are all original - the code under that cover is somewhat worn so I cannot accurately see the full numbers, but ain't no way it is the same as on my key tag!

Goose

while we're on the topic..

Had a funny one happen.

The Millennium I recently acquired only came with 1 key and a key tag. the PO said it was the way he got it when new.

I sent the keycode from the tag to Ken Veit who's a locksmith, and he made me a pair of new keys and mailed them to me, just like he did for my RSTD.

The new keys didn't work (not even close to the same cut). I'd heard about the keycode being under the gascap swingout cover. Checked that on my RSTD, and the number wasn't the same as a known good keycode.

So, this made a good excuse to ride over to Calhoun, GA and meet with Ken after his regular work hours. He measured the cuts in my one good key, and then programmed his key making machine and it spit out a pair of new good keys for me. And using the measurements he took with a caliper, he was able to tell me what the keycode really was...

So, in this case, the dealer had to have given the PO the WRONG key code tag with the bike when it was new....

And, Ken's wife fed me supper to boot.... nice people.

I was told by a local locksmith that motorcycles after 1998 no longer have a key code on the bike.

Reason was that people could get code # one way or another, then have key made, then steal bike.

He seemed to know what he was talking about.

:2cents:

Gary

Guest tx2sturgis

Dont do it...its a trick! He'll have your key code if you say you want that key!

Never trust a guy who says he wants to know your key code....never ever...

:whistling:

:moon: