IGNORED

Quick ride 'round the block=400 miles later + Angry message from her b/f

LilBeaver

Well folks, despite 30+mph winds with 50mph gusts, we still managed to get out for a ride.

Alarm went off this morning around 730 and despite the neighbors yapping dog attacking the tumbleweeds... or more accurately the tumbleweeds chasing the yapper as the yapper barked itself backwards, the morning was off to a good start. Just about 12 hours before, I had finalized plans with my friend. I got up and got ready to go. Went out side and double checked my oil level and to make sure there were no leaks (I changed it the night before and did do a quick test ride, but I always like to make sure). All checked out fine, lowered the bike and took off my handy dandy Carbon_One lift adapter, checked the tires, my lights and then geared up to head out. Rolled up to our meeting spot right on time and there she was, next to her bike sitting on the curb, ready to go; smile and all. We chatted a bit and then discussed the weather forecast and route that we ought to take as a result. After presenting the options she shrugged and with a smirk said she didn't really care. With that in mind I smiled back, confirmed she was ready to go, saddled up and took off.

Headed northeast out of town, lower 60s, light breeze, broken clouds and two bikes rumbling down the road.

First stop was in ~60 miles as it was going to be another 100 or so before the next fuel stop (thank you Texas Panhandle). Some minor chit chat, she seemed a bit down, shrugged it off on being tired, but said she was really excited to be out riding. We both fueled up, chattered a bit more then again, saddled up and took off. The wind was picking up a bit more as we continued to ride on (we knew the afternoon was due for sustained winds of 25-35mph and gusts up to 55mph, which is why we decided to try to be back early afternoon).

We finally made it to some not straight roads that dipped down into some canyons, so that ~25 mile stretch made the whole ride worth it. We got near a decision point, going left took would add ~50 miles on to the ride and stay weaving around the canyon a bit more, right would get us headed back home. By this time the wind had continued to get stronger and we decided it would be best to start heading back. Pulling up and out of the canyon back on to the flat roads surrounded by farm fields the winds were a lot stronger. Riding back with a mix of a strong headwind and cross wind we stopped again at the next fuel stop (her tank is only ~3.5 gallons or so, so on a normal day she hits reserve somewhere between 100 and 135 miles). With this headwind, it was questionable as to how well she would do on fuel. It also gave us a chance to chit chat a bit more. I wanted to make sure she was doing okay since the wind got a lot stronger (a lot sooner) than we had expected. After topping off we decided, after A LOT of coercion from her (as one might imagine) that we stop for ice cream. By coercion I mean she said "hey, you want to stop for ice cream?"

We rolled in there about 2 minutes before the 'retirement home field trip' showed up. Good timing. Well, for what I figured would be a quick stop ended up taking us... At least an hour, maybe more. I sort of lost track of time. Lots of good conversation despite the ruckus from the elderly folks (:rasberry:). We made some plans for some future rides (I'll keep those under my hat for a little while longer) but she was pretty pumped about it so we'll see if they come together. I suppose I can give a hint as perhaps an impromptu meet, ride and possibly eat may be coming about around San Antonio area some time :D. A few other areas in Texas too but I'm quite sure that we do not have any (or very many) members in the other areas so I'll keep those under my hat for a while.

Anyways, after realizing how long we were sitting there and hearing that the wind was picking up we decided that we ought to hit the road to boogie on back before we get blown away.

Contrary to our plan of taking off right away we ended up chatting some more out by the bikes before taking off. Finally we saddled up and hit the road. She pulled ahead this time and led the last ~50 mile stretch home. As we got closer and turned down the road to her street we pulled up to an intersection (4-way stop), she hesitated so I pulled up next to her. She looked over with a huge ear-to-ear grin on her face and pulled away. Pulled up to her house, she parked her bike and walked over (grin still there) and I needed to take my jacket liner out as it was far too warm for it (temperature was ~95). More chit chat ensued as we made plans tentative plans for another ride.

Exchanging mutual pleasantries (ie. good byes, thank yous and 'had a good time's) I saddled up and headed home.

Total mileage today was just shy of 200 miles and as I write this it sounds like the roof is going to lift off my house. Boy oh boy is it W-I-N-D-Y out. Other than the wind forcing us to cut the ride short; it turned out to be a pretty good ride, a good day and in good company.

Sadly, I now need to get back to work for a while yet today... It never ends.

'Til next time...

:fnd_(16)::fnd_(16)::fnd_(16):

:900[1]::7_2_102[1]:[/QUOT

Did anyone notice that he didn't take is other (girl) friend on this ride?

:whistling::stirthepot:

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man you are manicuring an excellent riding partner there, no doubt. Just don't mess up and allow her to take advantage of you. Nothing ruins a friendship quicker than some romantic interlude.

No kidding! No worries though.

Yea, it seems I have finally found a friend that actually enjoys riding maybe as much as I do :D

Did anyone notice that he didn't take is other (girl) friend on this ride?

:whistling::stirthepot:

Oh oh oh oh *raises hand* I noticed!! But I guess I probably don't really count on this matter, eh? :duck:

BUT, that doesn't mean anything other than my other friend didn't want to go. She doesn't like the 'longer rides' and if it wasn't so freaking windy we would have put on another 150-300 miles or so.

I will say that it seems our conversations take a different tone when it is just the two of us... :think:

No kidding! No worries though.

Yea, it seems I have finally found a friend that actually enjoys riding maybe as much as I do :D

My best friend and riding companion will do the same as yours, once in while she will even lead a ride or two. We've been riding and playing follow the leader since 1993 when I taught her to ride. We'll be married 27 years week after next.

My best friend and riding companion will do the same as yours, once in while she will even lead a ride or two. We've been riding and playing follow the leader since 1993 when I taught her to ride. We'll be married 27 years week after next.

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

:happy65::happy65:

Well congratulations!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey any updates? Any new rides?

Oops, Just saw your post. Sorry, nothing new as of yet. We didn't end up getting out last weekend due to the weather and the holiday. The weekend before that I was out of town. We'll see how this weekend goes though, :happy34:

• 1 month later...
Guest tx2sturgis

After a couple of weeks, I finally heard from Rick, (Lil Beaver) and hes out of the country and limited as to internet access and time.

I dont know yet what what country he is in...but lets assume he's in an idyllic little backwoods cabin..and he has that hot little female with him.

Or not.

(closed circuit to Rick: :moon:)

• 1 month later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...last week the young jetsetter was boarding a plane to head off to New Zealand.

I guess he's just not happy with Texas women! :yikes:

I did tell him via text that I hope he finds me a kiwi chickie...

Edited by tx2sturgis

• 2 weeks later...
Time for an update?

Well, not much to report but it is not because there is nothing going on. I have been really sparse around here (VR.org as well as in the U.S.).

My friend actually had a crash on her bike a few weeks ago, so she has not been riding since then. The short story is that she was riding with her boyfriend/exboyfriend and she went down avoiding a pick-up truck. She was mostly okay after the incident - she had her crash gear on (Full face helmet, crash jacket and pants - luckily she took my advice on that) a little bit of road rash, a sprained elbow and shoulder and some sore muscles. Her bike got a little scraped up, the shift lever was bent and required replacement but the rest of the damage was only cosmetic. From the description of the incident and her comments, she was pretty sure the whole ordeal could have been avoided had she not been riding out of her comfort zone. That aside, I am glad she is okay. She cannot wait to get back on her bike and she has asked me to take her out several times now but I just simply have not had the time.

Beginning in April, work has just gotten absolutely crazy. I have not gone for a decent ride since then, outside of a quick trip to Dallas for the valve clearance adjustment and some other maintenance items (Thanks Kent!!!) other than that nothing :(

I was in Mexico (for a conference) for a week and then England for two and a half weeks (for work). Then not long after that I went to New Zealand for a conference (gone for 2 weeks) where I was invited to give a presentation of my current research (I am a Physicist). This overlapped with the Cody rally which is why I did not make it there. Immediately following my return I had to travel, yet again, for work and now I am finally home.

Now maybe I can get some decent riding in... That is if the temperature decides to stay below 110 for once.

We have talked several times now about a ride down to the hill 'country' and that will probably happen sometime in September. She has a lot going on with her work now too. Since there seems to be some interest here, I will keep ya'll updated :thumbsup2:

Until next time:

:Venture:

So ........... she was trying to outrun the BF/EX? :smile5:

Seriously......glad she's ok.

I too am glad she is okay. Sadly it sounded like she was trying to keep up... I didn't ask too many questions, she came into my lab the first day I was back from my England trip and I just listened... :confused24:

I'm also glad she's ok. At least she wasn't hurt too bad and still wants to ride. Just need to chalk it up to a learning experience (though a painful one). Sounds like you've had a really busy summer so far. Did you get to do any sightseeing on any of your trips? I know it was for work, but maybe a little time to explore maybe a pic or two?

Margaret

As far as getting some sight-seeing/exploring in with my travels, I did manage a little bit in New Zealand and am working on a photo album that I can put up a link for. In England, this last trip I did manage to stay a few extra days and putter around quite a bit. I am working on a photo album for that trip too. I'll post some links when I get it done.

... so let her find her own pace.

I ALWAYS do.