IGNORED

Quick ride 'round the block=400 miles later + Angry message from her b/f

LilBeaver

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well glad she's enjoying riding. You must be really good if you got her sister thinking about getting into bikes now. Should send all sorts of gals off with you and see if they'll ride too.

Oh didn't mention much about the boyfriend and how he did. :Laugh: So did he keep up with both of you? Or do we care? :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Margaret

Not really...... But nice to see, that she is enjoying her scoot. :thumbsup2:

:sign yeah that:

He did okay. He seemed far to preoccupied reving his motor and jackrabbit starts everytime I stopped next to him. I don't play those kinds of games [especially] when I have a passenger - although it was quite tempting after the 5th or 6th time it happened. My solution was easy, I started pulling up next to her and stopping instead of him. It was much more pleasant that way. It seemed that he had a good time as well, although we didn't talk much so who knows (I'll give you a hint... it isn't me :happy34:).

I'm thinkin he's going to keep playing this little cat and mouse game till he gets uh well uh a lil beaver.:stirthepot:

http://www.jeffpidgeon.com/uploaded_images/dundee-beaver-711941.jpg

I'm confused.

Whos this?

Not the same gal you rode with to the cannonball meetup....you rascal!

:happy34:

:confused24::confused24:

What?

I may or may not have any knowledge of what you speak of. :duck:

----

You are correct. The gal I brought to the Cannonball meet-up is a different female friend that also sometimes likes to ride motor-sickles.

Edited by LilBeaver

Oh now that's a cute little critter. You should make that your avatar.

Margaret

I might sometime. But my current one has a lot of sentimental value.

This is the man (my grandfather) responsible for my first ride and love of motorcycles...

I was fortunate enough to take him for his first ride in 5 years due to his health condition (he had a stroke that left his entire left side paralyzed - head to tow). The bike in that photo is THE bike that he gave me my first ride on. Incidentally it was in the same house too. It took me (and my family) that 5 years to talk him into climbing on a bike again. He has been riding since the 30's and swore that he would never be on the back of a motorcycle. I had the honor of giving him the only ride he has ever had on the back of a bike. Summer of 2009 I gave him his second ride. I hope that I will have the pleasure of taking him out again if I cannot ride beside him.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Howdy folks. Sorry it has been so long since the last update.

Things are still moving on. My friend really loves her bike and we have been out riding twice now.

It was a while ago, lets see; I will try to recap what ya'll have missed :happy34: Bare with me I am exhausted, about half awake and trying to be coherent about this...

----- Cliff notes edition:

We've been out a few times since the last update.

----- End cliff notes edition.

The first ride (since the last update) was Sunday 5/Dec/10. But let us back up a little before then. After the previous ride, as described in post #148 (7/Nov/10) with my friend, her sister and the dude. We both realized that the end of the semester was coming up quick and some big tests were around the corner (she had the 'big exam' that I took and passed two years ago - that is used to decide whether one can continue through the Ph.D. program or not) not to mention thanksgiving and whatnot, we knew that it probably wouldn't be any time soon that we would both get out again on the bikes.

We kept up with the minor chit-chat as time continued on, me being busy with my research and her being busy trying to finish up her work and continue preparation for this ridiculous test, we kept mentioning that we wanted to get out for a ride but were too busy. Well Thanksgiving came around and she stopped in and said that she definitely wanted to go for a ride when she got back - so we had tentative plans to do so.

Thanksgiving came and went and we both got busier. The following Friday we discussed our plans for the weekend, again, small talk and friendly chit-chat - both disappointed that we would be working all weekend, we said our 'see-yas' and 'have a good weekends' thinking that was a wrap. Sunday 5/Dec/10 morning when I got into my lab, I sat down and started working away when a knock on my door interrupted me. One of the aspects I just love about working on the weekends (with what I do anyways) is that I can typically work all day and night and not have anyone interrupt me. During the week there are students that want help with their assignments (mostly want me, the instructor, to DO it for them) or complain about how difficult my class is or what have you. Anyways, I digress.

I answer the door and there she is. Pleasent suprise, of course (she usually works at home on the weekends -- hence part of the surprise). We shot the bull for a few minutes, both of us alluded to being in a productivity slump and she had expressed interest in going for a ride. With as much as I wanted to take off right then and there, I really had quite a bit yet to get done; I suggested that we check back with each other in a little bit to see if the work ethic had improved. If not, we could hit the road for a while. Well some time went by so I poked my head out and she was still down in her office. I poked my head in to see how things were going for her and before I could get the phrase "hows it goin?" out she looked up with a huge grin on her face, I got 'the look' (the good one, not the 'look' look that could burn a hole in a steel plate) followed by 'should I go get my bike?' I am pretty sure I responded with a similar look but proceeded to warn her that the 40 degrees outside was probably was not going to be very pleasant for a gal from south Texas. (Yes, here in this part of Texas it gets a bit chilly from time to time - and seeing that I am primarily from the Mid-West, I DO know what REAL cold is like).

So, no surprise, she took off to get her bike. I went back to my desk and finished up a few things anxiously waiting for her to be ready to go. About 30 minutes later, my phone rang and I was almost to my bike before she even got her helmet off.

Beautiful sunny day, hardly a cloud in the sky and a slight breeze - other than the temperature it was an absolutely BEAUTIFUL day for a ride. There was some quick chit chat then, without further adieu, we hit the road.

Stopped for fuel, then headed east for 30-40 minutes or so. We pulled off at an area with a wide shoulder and a good decision point as to which way to continue on (keep riding, turn around to go straight back, or make a decent circle to get back, etc.).

What I had figured would be a very quick stop turned into 20-30 minutes or so of warming up by the side of the road and talking (chat about research, school, general stuff and current events in our lives). She said she was fine, but right after she got off her bike and was walking back towards me I could see her shivering A LOT. I felt really bad. Oh yeah, her 'Dude' did not join us on this ride; there was no mention of him what-so-ever, and I did not really care to ask. I figured it was none of my business. She put on an extra pair of gloves I had (snowmobile gloves) and my jacket for a bit to warm up. This stop is documented in photo 1 (My RSV [obviously] and her bike up front).

With the wind picking up and the sun going down, it was not going to be getting any warmer, so we saddled up and hit the road. Took it easy on the way back (she led almost all of the ride). As we came upon the intersection where she would turn off to go back to her place and I would keep going to get back to work, I waved and continued to mosey my way back to the office fully intending on catching up with her again the next day [Monday]. As I was parking I heard a familiar rumble followed by her rounding the corner and sort of hurriedly pulling in next to me. Before I could say anything she had quickly said she 'forgot some papers or something'. She waited while I put my helmet and such in my trunk then walked back in. Some more chit-chat ensued outside my lab which when concluded she turned around and went right back out the door; never getting these 'papers or something' from her office :think::think:.

Anyhoo, it was a great day for a ride. Despite only putting on 60-80 miles or so, I enjoyed it; she said many times that she really enjoyed herself too - but definitely needed to invest in a better set of gloves.

So the next day rolls around and first thing in the morning She finds me and tells me about the new gloves she ordered and how excited she is to try them out. She asked if I would be up for a ride as soon as the gloves come in so that she can test them out. So, of course I say yes.

Some time goes by and our department has a holiday party. We run into each other there and chat for quite a while. The 'dude' didn't go with her. She had some lame excuse for him not being there, although she sounded rather uncomfortable discussing it so I did not press at all. To be honest, I don't even remember asking the question, but I must have said something - after all, that filter that is typically found between one's brain and mouth; mine is missing. At any rate, we had a good time, talked for a while and just hung out. She was pretty excited as her gloves came in and she was ready for a test ride. So, we made the plans to take the test run a few days later.

16/Dec - we met up for the test ride. Once again, she was alone and my dumb-butt self said something else because she had mumbled the same lame excuse for 'the boy' not joining us on the ride. Again, no biggie, we were both excited for a ride since it was a tad warmer (I think it was maybe 45 or 50 out).

Again, some chit-chat and we hit the road. A much longer ride this time. We stopped for fuel, chatted a bit, rode for about 20 or 30 minutes where we pulled off - mostly to check to see how she was doing. THIS time, she said she was having a great time and she was plenty warm. I believe it too since she wasn't shivering and her teeth weren't chattering. So, I asked where she wanted to go and she said 'not back home yet'. So, we proceeded to ride another two hours or so (totaling 140 or so for the day). There was only one more stop that ride, one because one of her saddlebags had opened up. Then we headed back to my house. We hung around for a bit and then I gave gave her a lift back home. She (nor I) wanted to see her bike get left outside (she doesn't have a garage) while she was gone for the holidays and there is always room in my garage for another bike :happy34:.

The holiday break ensued, I departed for Michigan the following day. Unfortunately, some family matters had come up and I had to hit the road a bit ahead of schedule. The next 3 weeks were very taxing on me and my whole family, matters of which I will not get into here but did contribute to my delinquency from checking in on you kids as often as I would have liked.

Skip forward a bit. While away from Texas, I had a few phone conversations with my friend (which I hardly ever do - I absolutely cannot stand talking on the phone) - just the standard 'checking in' or whatever she called it. I got back and within a few days of returning we went for a quick ride that ended back at my place where she picked up her bike, thanked me for the space, and rode on her merry way.

It has been only about a week or so since then and nothing further to report, other than with this warm weather (today's high was 77) there might be some more riding in the VERY VERY near future.

Well, there you have it folks. I am really sorry about the delay in checking in, I will try to stay more on top of it -- especially since, for some crazy reason, there is some interest in the topic :detective:.

For those of you that made it all the way through this, I sure hope you weren't disappointed in my above explanation of events - I probably wasn't as detailed as I have been in the past, but, while corny, I don't know how to explain how excited she has been to be out and enjoying her bike the few times she has.

Hopefully there will be some more updates to come as riding weather is still upon us and even though work has not subsided AT ALL, I have been reminded how productive I can be when I get a few hours on the bike, with or without good company, to clear my head.

Until next time,

900%5B1%5D.gif7_2_102%5B1%5D.gif

Edited by LilBeaver
Added pictures

You know, I was never very good at picking up on any signals from women. My wife has told me that I have no idea when a woman is flirting with me. I just assumed that they never do. I told her that if a woman was flirting with me to PLEASE let me know....judging by her response, I'm assuming that won't happen.

Anyway, as bad as I am about picking up on such things...even I can read the signs in THIS story. :whistling: