IGNORED

6800 miles, new tires already.

Motorcycle Mike

From what I've heard, those E3s will do you well.

Mine came stock with the bridgestones, and the back one was shot in 7k miles.

I've run 3 sets of Metzler 880s off of mine and now have avon venoms. Metzlers did 14k to 15k on the rear, and it looks like the avon will do just as good.

Get out there and let us know how long it lasted by the end of next month.:stickpoke:

Later, Scooter Bob

You will get more miles out of any tire that is NOT the Dunlop 404 for sure. I was going through them fast before I joined this Site and got advice from these Pro's.

I'm running Michelin Commanders front/rear now and really love them....especially when caught in our famous "come from nowhere downpours" that we get around here.

Going to the Darkside on my next rear tire tho for sure. Not enough twisties in this part of the Country to pose any problem with running a CT on the rear and I like the idea of getting 40K out of a rear tire!

Regardless of what make of tire I run 2psi below the max sidewall pressure.

Boomer.....riding without a back scratcher until SHE finds ME.

I only got 6800 miles out of the Dunlop 404's that came on the bike. :mad:

I put Dunlop E-3's on. I sure hope they get alot better mileage.

40 psi front. 42 psi rear. Sound about right?

I have over 14,300 miles on my rear Dunlop Elite III, and still not to the wear bars. I would say another 2000 miles left. Just put a new rear tire on my Stratoliner, only 6150 miles to the wear bars on that. Sadly Dunlop does not make a Elite III for the Strat. I run 41 PSI on my rear Elite III.

Boomer.....riding without a back scratcher until SHE finds ME.

Hang in there Boomer, she'll find you someday. Just keep ridin' and lookin', you can't go wrong with that plan.

Actually writin' my previous reply got me thinkin'.

7k+15k+15k+15k=52k.

Just rolled 66k on the bike last weekend, so that means this avon has 14k on it already. It's got a couple k in it fer sure, but I'm headin' east in a couple weeks to get a saddlebag in Massachusits and tour new england while there. Probably be a 4k trip.

Unless I can find a MD on the east coast at the right time, I better change that b4 I leave.

Later, Scooter Bob

Hey Scooter.....when ya get to Massivetwo****s ya gotta ride the Mohawk Trail....it runs East to West and is purty close to de Connecticut border.....and don't forget to ride the Kangkamungus Highway in Vermont/Noo Hampshire near Mt. Washington. All are sweet rides!!

Ride safe buddy!

Boomer.....a former Noo England rider now in de flatlands of Loozeeannner and importing/exporting pygmies.

I am well pleased with my E3's.

I think you may be a little over Max inflation pressure on the E3.

I got over 11700 now on my E3's and run 36 front and 40 rear. 11/32 new tread depth and the rear is still in there with little over 4/32 left.

Ya'll got me worryin'. Just ordered a new avon for the rear. I'll change it b4 I head east.

While I'm at it, I'll pull the pumpkin and grease those shaft splines. (now that I've seen it done on a another bike. Thanks for bein' the guinea pig Boomer)

Later, Scooter Bob

Ya'll got me worryin'. Just ordered a new avon for the rear. I'll change it b4 I head east.

While I'm at it, I'll pull the pumpkin and grease those shaft splines. (now that I've seen it done on a another bike. Thanks for bein' the guinea pig Boomer)

Later, Scooter Bob

If ya run into any glitches on doing that rear end give a shout to Squid....that fellar could do this job with his eyes shut !!

Boomer....riding solo until SHE finds ME....and exclusive Southern Exporter for high quality pygmies.

I got a little over 6000 on my last set of 404's. I am running Michelin Commanders now and I am very pleased with them. I have nearly 3000 miles on them and the "tire tits" are still visible along the edges. No signs of wear in the middle other than road scuffing.

You guys with the D404's must be doing a lotta burnouts or something to wear them out so soon. I have almost 22,000 km's (13,600 miles) on mine and there's still tread left, not even to the wear bars yet.

I don't know how your getting that kind of mileage.

Front tire was nearly bald and the rear was so badly cupped it sounded like a truck with mud tires on it. I was running 40F/40R.

I have a VTX that I do my solo riding on, the RSV is always 2 up.

The VTX also got crappy mileage out of the stock Dunlop 404s.

You guys with the D404's must be doing a lotta burnouts or something to wear them out so soon. I have almost 22,000 km's (13,600 miles) on mine and there's still tread left, not even to the wear bars yet.

Me too. I've had six or seven sets of D404 WWWs and consistently get 12000 to 14000 miles. Only had cupping on the front one of the OEM set on my Road Star.

Same here, 12,800 on rear 404 Dunlop. Then 6,500 on Conti Tour. Just put on Elite 3 on rear. This hasn't got but 2,000 miles on it now but it is definately the best tire so far. Just hope it outlasts the others. Have an Avon Cobra radial on the front with 9,000 miles on it. It will easily get at least that many more before needing to be replaced.

Not a fan of the 404s at all, but I have to agree that y'all are doing something. Or maybe it's that I am not. I got 13,800 out of my original 404s. Could have gone a bit more, but it was starting to feel squirrelly.

I have 17,000 miles now on my E3s and should get another 3000 or 4000 miles.

42 psi in the rear might be a little much. Check the side wall of the tire. I think they are supposed to be 40 psi max.

Also, if it has not been mentioned here already, how much air do you have in the rear shock? I run 35psi.

Have an 08 that has over 12,000, original tires on it "404's" I am replacing them this week with the E III's front and back. The front is cupping some and the back is getting a little thin on tread in the center of the tire. The last 1,000 miles that I put on seemed to show the wear quicker than I thought it would.

I have heard alot of different opinions here, but the E'III are what I am going with this time. :thumbsup:

Assuming your tire guage is correct then your over inflating the rear tire. The max tire rating is 40 lbs. Hop accurate is your air guage? No telling. I run 1 up all the time and I run 38 front and 38 rear. A friend put a 404 on his bike and had a blow out with a little over 5k miles on it. Cord was showing all the way around. I run E3's and Commanders and am very happy with both. However I do prefer the e3's. I have about 13,000 on me E3's and it looks Like I can go at least anouther 4 or 5 thousand.