IGNORED

Stalled and sweaty, why?

Well, I took off the gas cap, and it didn't run any better.

Then, I uncovered the fuel pump and held it as I turned on the ignition. It just hummed. I tapped it with the end of the hex wrench as I turned the ignition, and it began to pump. I could feel it. The engine ran well for a while, then the pump began to hum again and the engine sputtered.

I conclude it is the fuel pump.

What options do I have?

hahaha surprized he hasn`t said anything yet..... after all, wasn`t it you that told me to call him that???

YOU are an instigator! :buttkick:

You really shouldn't try to drag me in that hole with you. I got all day at work to fill him in on Kreggerdoodelisms. And some of them are true! :missingtooth:

But only some. :innocent:

Dave

`ol Cupcake Boy knows his stuff...

Keep it up Naptime boy

:stickpoke: I think it's time for me to come over and "help you" with that dead tractor of yours :whistling:

Dave,

The trailer wiring isn't the culprit, just by your testing and tapping on it I would put my money on the fuel pump. I have heard of quite a few going bad, Ponch can hook you up with the aftermarket one and if I have to replace one on the '99 when I get it rolling it will be to the setup he has :thumbsup2:

hay i wasn't there but i've heard a story about some poodle skirts. that needed a certain size

person to model them.:yikes:

don c. :witch_brew:

Not true I tell ya! (plus there is no photographic evidence, so it never happened).

Keep it up Naptime boy

:stickpoke: I think it's time for me to come over and "help you" with that dead tractor of yours :whistling:

Dave,

The trailer wiring isn't the culprit, just by your testing and tapping on it I would put my money on the fuel pump. I have heard of quite a few going bad, Ponch can hook you up with the aftermarket one and if I have to replace one on the '99 when I get it rolling it will be to the setup he has :thumbsup2:

After opening up the side and seeing where the relative parts are, it clearly wasn't the wiring. I thought that maybe it reached down because of that wire tester I've left on top.

Ponch has sent me photos and instructions, but I'm not sure if it is for a fuel pump or if he maybe sent me his plans to cap the Gulf Oil Spill.:think:

Dave

I ended up buying the after-market fuel pump, commonly available at any auto parts store. I couldn't find one part (a 45 degree angle fitting), so I used more fuel line to allow a gentle bend. Long story short, the new fuel pump works and Roxie runs great. There was some concern about the pump being insufficient under load, so I hit the rev limiter on 4 gears. :innocent:

Weirdly, I tested the old fuel pump and it seems to work. I mean I hooked it directly to the battery, and it ran and ran. Odd.

I also learned that there is some sort of shut off on the fuel pump. When you turn the ignition, it runs for five seconds or so, then shuts off until you start the engine. It's true whether or not the pump is supplying fuel. (I ran it unconnected to the engine)

Thanks all, especially to Ponch. He sent me his ideas, and was available for phone a friend. Then, he called to check in on me. Much appreciated. :happy65:

Dave

I ended up buying the after-market fuel pump, commonly available at any auto parts store. I couldn't find one part (a 45 degree angle fitting), so I used more fuel line to allow a gentle bend. Long story short, the new fuel pump works and Roxie runs great. There was some concern about the pump being insufficient under load, so I hit the rev limiter on 4 gears. :innocent:

Weirdly, I tested the old fuel pump and it seems to work. I mean I hooked it directly to the battery, and it ran and ran. Odd.

I also learned that there is some sort of shut off on the fuel pump. When you turn the ignition, it runs for five seconds or so, then shuts off until you start the engine. It's true whether or not the pump is supplying fuel. (I ran it unconnected to the engine)

Thanks all, especially to Ponch. He sent me his ideas, and was available for phone a friend. Then, he called to check in on me. Much appreciated. :happy65:

Dave

Are you going to get a new one from Yamaha since your bike is under warranty? :)

From the fact it just hummed at times should be an indication it is getting old and often cannot remember the words. No amount of reteaching the words will help, it will never get through the whole song again.

"Weirdly, I tested the old fuel pump and it seems to work. I mean I hooked it directly to the battery, and it ran and ran. Odd."

quite possibly it ran well off the bike because it was not under a load ??? just a thought...

From the fact it just hummed at times should be an indication it is getting old and often cannot remember the words. No amount of reteaching the words will help, it will never get through the whole song again.

:rotf::rotf: I can relate!!!!! :rotf::rotf:

From the fact it just hummed at times, should be an indication it is getting old and often cannot remember the words. No amount of reteaching the words will help, it will never get through the whole song again.

That also sounds like, Condor & Black Owl, now that you mention it........ :duck::stickpoke::canada:

The fuel pump relay has a wired connection to the ignitor unit.

I believe it is designed to shut down when the system knows the engine is not running.

Not having an RSV though, this is just speculation from looking at the wiring diagram.

Gary

If I may ask, does anyone have the Mr. Gasket part number for that fuel pump? And, would it fit a 96 RSTC? for 40 bucks I'd stick one in my saddle bag. :)

It was a Mr. Gasket #42S and it seems pretty universal. I don't know if it would fit your bike. Needed finagling to fit mine. But now I can get one at almost any auto parts store if the need arises.

I needed a couple fittings, like a right angle and a fuel line splice, plus 4 hose clamps. I also had to drill a hole to mount it. You see, the stock fuel pump had the in and out on the same end, but the Mr. Gasket 42S had the in on one end, and the out on the other.

If it were me, I'd install it and make sure it runs, then put it in the saddle bag for a future day. Then you'll have done the thinking in comfort, instead of along the road.

Dave

If I may ask, does anyone have the Mr. Gasket part number for that fuel pump? And, would it fit a 96 RSTC? for 40 bucks I'd stick one in my saddle bag. :)

i Was just thinking that might be a good thing to have a spare , does anyone know of an aftermarket for a G1 scoot?

Brian