IGNORED

Cruise Control on First Gen

Recently acquired this bike (83 model) and have only ridden for about a week. I noted today that the cruise control will not engage. Could not find anything wrong with the fuses. I have not troubleshot beyond that. Any suggestions, or do I need to take it to a Yamaha tech?

Check the brake light to make sure it functions correctly when applying your brakes. I just replaced the rear on my '87 because the rear switch was sticking and keeping the brake light on all the time.

Also check clutch switch.

The front, rear brakes & clutch switch will shut cruise down or not allow it to engage.

Clutch switch has no adjustment, but front & rear brake do.

Easiest way to check brake is to turn key on a wiggle levers & see if brake light comes on to easy.

Clutch switch could have popped back out of retainer also.

Does starter crank with bike in gear with clutch released & side stand up? If it does then clutch switch has issues.

Gary

Recently acquired this bike (83 model) and have only ridden for about a week. I noted today that the cruise control will not engage. Could not find anything wrong with the fuses. I have not troubleshot beyond that. Any suggestions, or do I need to take it to a Yamaha tech?

The 83 did not come with OEM Cruise control, but Vetter Mfg made one for the 83 & 84 Ventures.

I know this because I have an 83 VR & recently bought an Vetter Cruise control unit NIB (new in box), from one of my suppliers of Venture Parts.

:2cents:

Guys...thanks for the tips. I do have the 83-85 shop manual and have looked through that regarding cruise control. I'll try some of the suggestions this weekend to see if it will work.

The date of manufacturer on the plate was 11/83, so technically I suppose it could be considered an "84." When you put in the VIN # though, it comes up in the database as an 83 model.

Not sure how Yamaha marketed their bikes back then.

I'm not sure I'd it's the same as a rstd, I had the same problem. It turned out to be just a worn bushing on the clutch lever. Mine has a two position switch the second disengages the cruise if you touch the lever. Because the lever wasn't fully releasing the cruise wouldn't engage. Try pushing the clutch lever out before engaging the cruise. Hope it's that simple for you.

Mark

Guys...thanks for the tips. I do have the 83-85 shop manual and have looked through that regarding cruise control. I'll try some of the suggestions this weekend to see if it will work.

The date of manufacturer on the plate was 11/83, so technically I suppose it could be considered an "84." When you put in the VIN # though, it comes up in the database as an 83 model.

Not sure how Yamaha marketed their bikes back then.

That's very interesting because my '84, with factory cruise, has the same "Born on" date...

The 83 did not come with OEM Cruise control, but Vetter Mfg made one for the 83 & 84 Ventures.

I know this because I have an 83 VR & recently bought an Vetter Cruise control unit NIB (new in box), from one of my suppliers of Venture Parts.

:2cents:

:sign20::rotf::rotfl::whistling:

That's very interesting because my '84, with factory cruise, has the same "Born on" date...

Yeah, I thought the same, but the safety inspection, Progressive Insurance and the TX DMV all came back with an 83 model via the VIN.

OK, this 83/84 subject has been discussed before. What happened is there were a batch of 84's that came out of the factory and were imported into the US in '83, and they received a 'D' code instead of an 'E' in the VIN#. The best way to tell an '84 is the choke control. If it rotates around the grip, it's an '84 model year. If it slides at the bottom of the light/horn controls it's an '83. If it has a 'D' in the VIN and the choke rotates, you own one of those confused '84's...... :big-grin-emoticon:

OK, this 83/84 subject has been discussed before. What happened is there were a batch of 84's that came out of the factory and were imported into the US in '83, and they received a 'D' code instead of an 'E' in the VIN#. The best way to tell an '84 is the choke control. If it rotates around the grip, it's an '84 model year. If it slides at the bottom of the light/horn controls it's an '83. If it has a 'D' in the VIN and the choke rotates, you own one of those confused '84's...... :big-grin-emoticon:

Thanks Condor....based on your above, I have a "D" and my choke rotates, therefore I am a "confused" Venture owner!!