83 VR

I have never rode this, got it non-running. Was told clutch was bad so replaced friction plates first thing, during assembly, could see plates spread out during clutch lever pull.

Then had major engine problems, and had to remove engine.

Now engine back in, runs-sounds soo good, feeling good.

Put just enough back together to put seat on and go for test ride.

Down off stand, idling, brake on, clutch in, kick down to 1st,clutch out....stall:crying:

Then I couldn't put it back in neutral:mad:. Up/down/up/down/all the way up-4 down, no neutral. Finally saw neutral light come on nearly all the way up. HA. shifter backwards, easy fix:happy65:. No one ever done that, right?

Now current problem, still no clutch release. bleed/beed/bleed/././. bleed with mity vac, pulled clutch slave, found torn dust seal-not likely problem but rebuilt slave, bleed/bleed/./..., bleed master banjo, bleed master with finger and hose off, tried handle tieback all last night, bleed/bleed/bleed.

Feels like good pressure with finger on master-sprays around finger, but down at slave when cracking bleeder fluid comes out in stream but does not spray as in normal bleeding.

any suggestions?

Did you have clutch push rod out of engine?

If you put it in backwards I believe it will give you these symptoms.

There is a dimple in the end of rod that goes towards right side (clutch side) of engine. The ball bearing sets in this dimple.

Middle picture is towards slave cylinder.

Last picture is towards clutch plates.

Gary

83 VR

Now current problem, still no clutch release. bleed/beed/bleed/././. bleed with mity vac, pulled clutch slave, found torn dust seal-not likely problem but rebuilt slave, bleed/bleed/./..., bleed master banjo, bleed master with finger and hose off, tried handle tieback all last night, bleed/bleed/bleed.

Feels like good pressure with finger on master-sprays around finger, but down at slave when cracking bleeder fluid comes out in stream but does not spray as in normal bleeding.

any suggestions?

Did you put the splined washer between the inner hub & outer basket upon re-assembly, or under the nut??? If under the nut, you need to pull the clutch again & put it between the hub and basket. I have seen this error, lock up the clutch before, regardless of master / slave cylinder action.

:bang head::bang head: :080402gudl_prv:

Did you put the splined washer between the inner hub & outer basket upon re-assembly, or under the nut??? If under the nut, you need to pull the clutch again & put it between the hub and basket. I have seen this error, lock up the clutch before, regardless of master / slave cylinder action.

:bang head::bang head: :080402gudl_prv:

I really don't remember, was way back in December did clutch. Guess I'm going to take apart again. What else should I be looking for while I'm there.

OK, pulled clutch cover and suprise!! Looks like clutch is working.

Maybe my problem is above the shoulders??

Started with shifter reversed, and when kicked down to 1st, actually went to 5th and stalled.

Then started checking clutch release in actual 1st and trying to turn rear wheel with hand. Is there to much drag normally to turn wheel with hand?

Measured clutch release:

pic1 clutch handle tied down, pressure plate outboard, mic reset to zero

pic 2 clutch handle released to normal, pressure plate inboard, mic read .071in

Is this about proper amount of release, or do I still have problem?

Should I just put all back together and try again, then put all above shoulder in the sand?

:bang head:

Is this about proper amount of release, or do I still have problem?

Should I just put all back together and try again, then put all above shoulder in the sand?

:bang head:

The cover is off, so pull the pressure plate off & look at the inner hub boss nut, is the splined thrust washer placed under it & the locking tab???

If so, you need to move it, so it is between the outer basket & inner hub. Not having the thrust washer in the correct location, will produce the effect of basket & hub locked together.

It may be an idea, to verify, that it was even placed in between the hub & basket (not accidently left out during re-assembly). Remember to re- torque the boss nut afterwards & re-assemble the clutch assy.

Rocket, thanks for reply

are you talking about item #2 in pic

will check tomorrow

Yup, it is splined & that in itself, throws people off... They think, it goes under the boss nut, if not checking the parts diagrams.

Looks like Rocket hit it right on :thumbsup:

Splined washer was under lock nut, and realized something wrong when loosening bolt,and inner hub and outer hub locked together until nut broke loose, then inner hub started rotating

including pics for others

Looks like Rocket hit it right on :thumbsup:

Splined washer was under lock nut, and realized something wrong when loosening bolt,and inner hub and outer hub locked together until nut broke loose, then inner hub started rotating

including pics for others

Ok, give another update, after getting it back together & putting a few miles on it, if a valid plate is on the scoot......