Has anyone had an issue with to much SeaFoam fouling your plugs? I ran about 1/4 tank of fuel, and an entire can of SeaFoam to clean my carbs. Now my plugs are shot. I had to replace them just to get it to run. However, that being said one thing I noticed, is only the drivers rear cylinder was running. I could, and did, unplug all 3 other plug wires, and it ran. But if you unplug drivers rear plug wire, it won't run. After that replaced the plugs, with used, as did not have new. Will get new plugs today. It is running again. But, still seems to be a a bit rough. I know the carbs have never been synced, as the little brass plugs are still on the carbs. So, gotta figure this problem out now. Sheesh, what's next? So far, has new wires, new plugs-now a bit fouled, replaced the fuel pump and filter, replaced the selector valve on the tank, regluing all the plastic fairing pieces. Still needs the clutch bearing fixed. I am hoping this is not a money pit.

I know the carbs have never been synced, as the little brass plugs are still on the carbs.

The caps are on the idle mixture screws, not the carb sync screws.....

You are most likely paying catchup, from the neglect of the previous owners. But once they are all sorted out, it should be a great running bike.

:2cents::080402gudl_prv:

Hey Kevin,

The fact that you fouled out your set of plugs when using Seafoam means that the Seafoam did EXACTLY what it was supposed to do and that was to remove the varnish and carbon deposits from the fuel system and combustion chamber. When you do the math, $12.00 for a set of plugs and $8.00+/- for a can of Seafoam is a LOT LESS money than a Carb. rebuild. I would suggest that when you Seafoam the Carbs. again, try a half can of Seafoam to a FULL tank of gas. Also, riding your bike like you "just robbed a bank" will burn off the deposits from the spark plug ends instead of having them collect on the electrode and fouling the plugs. As Rocket pointed out, the brass plugs are in fact covering the Idle Mixture Screws, not the Carb. Sync. Screws. Use a 3/16" drill at low speed to remove those brass plugs and set the mixture screws to 21/2 turns from bottom out. I squirt some WD40 in the screw hole BEFORE I try to turn them, bottom each screw GENTLY, (turning clockwise) If you over tighten the Idle Mix Screw, you will damage the screw seat and that Carb. body will be junk. Then turn the Idle Mix Screw counter clock wise the 21/2 turns.

As far as your 86'VR being a "money pit" look around your house and try to find ANYTHING that you own that is 25 years old and has not been maintained and I would bet that you have had to put a few bucks into that item as well. The mere fact that your bike will start and run after 25 years is a testament to the quality that Yamaha put into these bikes.

Once you get your bike "up to speed" as far as the maintenance items are concerned, It should be like any other vehicle, oil changes, tune ups, tires, etc.

Be patient with yourself, and your VR until you catch up with the maintenance issues, and you will be surprised how dependable this bike will be. I have attached a few pics and a link to get you in the right area for the Carb Sync.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35274

Good luck with your project, If you have other questions, or need more pics, please feel free to PM me,

Earl