IGNORED

talking to loan company about letting it go

oldgoat

at last im almost to the point of letting the venture go.

i just cant keep up with the work it needs? i dont have the skills to keep her going. and last PO just didnt take of her. she runs ok. but she needs TLC. i got to say she allways got me home. with cost of the bike and stuff i bought im into her for about 4 grand. im thinking of selling it and finding one that is in better shape maybe go to a 1989 or higher. this will not happen till around september though. as im looking at settling a long over due workers comp case. sometimes if ya dont feel safe you got to let her go:crying:

Thats a bummer, but I feel ya, its hard to keep throwing good money after bad, best wishes on a fast sell and a newer, better ride..

at last im almost to the point of letting the venture go.

i just cant keep up with the work it needs? i dont have the skills to keep her going. and last PO just didnt take of her. she runs ok. but she needs TLC. i got to say she allways got me home. with cost of the bike and stuff i bought im into her for about 4 grand. im thinking of selling it and finding one that is in better shape maybe go to a 1989 or higher. this will not happen till around september though. as im looking at settling a long over due workers comp case. sometimes if ya dont feel safe you got to let her go:crying:

the loan company called me back around 5 pm tonight and asked if i just want to keep it for the summer. and they wont charge intrest on the payments. then they will help me find a new owner??? never heard of that? they said they got a repo comming in. a 1999 yamaha 1300????? they said they might just do some kind of trade switch. and my payments wont go up. but asked if i would be willing to find a buyer for mine ? im not sure i understand that? im thinking they ment sell mine bring in the money give it to them then they put that as a down payment on the other bike and i just start all over again for a 3 year loan??? and i got a friend saying hey come on just another 600 into her and she be allright???

so here is what i done to her so far.

1 new dunlop tires 100 miles on them.

2 good used rotors fron pinwall all 3 of them.

3 new brake pads.

4 new plugs and oil change now with 100 miles on the work.

5 new gel type battery

6 brand new windshiled any one ever see hog wild?? thats why i replace the shield but it just but itwas a phesant not a crow.

7 i bought all the radio parts off a trial member here and just installed them to day. every thing works now.

8 got some used side covers comming in from pinwall there off a 1990 but was tould they would fit the 84?

9 theres a used comlete dash with 18000. miles on her not installed because after joining this site i found out how to fix the old one. old one is a little faded.

10. a good used throtle grip with cruise from pinwalls. not installed i bouth it because the old grip the rubber is starting to peel. so feels yucky when grabbing it.

11 used false tank cover . i say a 7 out of a 10 came off a 1985 with 18000 miles on the bike.

12 2 used mirrors not ones a little foggy on the side. there now installed..

the bad she wont idle right? and she feels like shes bottoming out? air in front has 14

rear 28 but over bumps she rattles your teeth. im sure fairing needs tightning?

she drags when warm starting but wait 10 minutes and vroomm?

hey dan shes got 77,100 miles on her as of today?

im thinking real hard on this. its not a choice i realy realy want to make.

some times frustration gets in the way. at one time i could work on bikes. now i just lost that touch. i never tore into a motorcycle carb. done lots of small engines and snowmobiles in my time. just seems like for every one fix i do on this bike 2 more pop up?

after all its 26 years old. you know you get that feeling of ok its going to happen. im going to be stuck somewhere. also im kind of afraid of it a little. its heavy. and at one time i tipped it doing a darn uturn. a little hairling crack on the air flow on the fairing. from doing that. im going to take some pics of the bike and show how she looks. the usual cracks in the trunk by the mounts and corners. not big one just there. saddle bags faded and clear coat peeling. cosmetics dont bother me much. just want that feeling of it running and going for miles with out wondering if im comming home with it? if i decide to keep her. im just going to ride it this season. then rent a garage that has some heat in it and tear into her.

James,

Hard decision for sure, but I'm right with Kreg on throwing good money on bad. This isn't an easy bike to ride, you need a decent amount of experience as it can bite you very fast. Perhaps something lower to the ground, cruiser type could be a better fit. We all have our ailments and the Venture especially the 1st gen isn't forgiving on some of our body issues.

I dont know about the repo portion, that just sets off bells and whistles with me the way it was presented to you. I KNOW they dont want your bike back, it's too old and they will never recoup their monies. I wish I was closer as we could shoot over there for a weekend and I know make it a whole lot better with minimal monies. Perhaps we can see if there is anyone close to you that you could bring it to or they could come over. Give it a little time and it will work out as it's supposed to.

Guest seuadr

sounds like a few maintenence problems let go for a while. your suspension definitally. pop the rear up to 42 or so and change the oil in the fronts, plus with that many miles consider adding a spacer to get'em feeling springy again. carb clean and sync and check for vac leaks and i bet you'll be on your way.:2cents:

I know how ya feel Jim. Own a 1stGen and you better know how to wrench. I can wrench with the best of them, but older I get the less I want mess with them. Most of the stuff you have listed is cosmetic. The not running right could be nothing more than plugs and a sync. Add a set of progressives to the front end and I bet the ride will be a lot better. That said, wrestling with a bike, making payments, and not getting any return, can get depressing. Making payments and riding will clear the head. I think I'd talk to the lender about that deal on the newer 2ndGen a little bit more. Just be carefull the bike doesn't have a whole mess of it's own problems...

ahh what to do what to do???

ok being bored i though i would go out and check something on the bike after going over many searches here? well i pulled the false tank cover off. as im going to put on another one. and just for shoot and gigles i checked my air filter i bought it new last fall. well i started the bike let it warm up some. pulled the air filter off she died. hmm ok. put it back on jim. started it up again and she started running around 1000 rpms hmm thats good right?? but then i noticed the choke was at about a 1/4 this is one of thoes up and down chokes. i released it all the way bike stayed at about 850 rpms. hmm??? so i set the choke back at 1/4 and she ran ok till i cracked the throtle a little hesitation? now im thinking these carbs need to be sync? i set the rear air to 41 like a member said to do. pumped the front up to 14 took her out for a spin. hmm not as harsh a ride? then ok i looked on the side and saw this adjuster with 1 2 3 4 a black dial? ok is this the mono shock adjuster? its on 3. and which way do you turn it.

im starting too think real hard about this bike. its like saying dont give up on me? so im going to name her sumertime.

sumertime she runs ok sumertime she gives me fits. so ok i scratched off a lotter ticket today won 300 bucks who hoo. i got to put it in the bike. i feel so close to getting it right. as for that second generation the loan company is getting. i checked out a pic they have of it but thats last years pic. looks good on film but waiting to see it up close.

saw this adjuster with 1 2 3 4 a black dial? ok is this the mono shock adjuster? its on 3. and which way do you turn it.

The dial goes 1 up to 4..4 down to 1. Not 4 to 1.

I think you need to toddle on over to Don's maintenence day June 19th. I bet it'll purr on the way back home..... :)

IMO if the First Generation is a big bike for you - then the 2nd Generation seems much bigger. I picked up a cheap first generation and love how light it feels compared to my 2nd Generation. I wish the wife would let me keep it just to ride around town. Now I understand why all you 1st Generation guys love your bikes. You might find out what your loan company wants for the 99 - offer to sell it for them if they will apply what profit you get above their asking price towards your loan. You never know!!

I set the shock at 1 The air in front at only 8 and air in rear at 30. I ride mostly 1 up at about 230 lbs. Great ride but mine has Progressives in front. Wish I lived closer to you. Sounds like you need carbs synced. I'm not trying to talk you into keeping something you are not happy with but we can help.