IGNORED

Was looking at Harleys

Art708

The Valks are smoother, faster, less top heavy. I find the Valk to be all around more comfortable for me. The diehard RSV and RSTD riders will disagree with me but that's what it's all about....personal choice. The things I don't like about the RSV are the buzziness, the sound they make, and the topheaviness.

6 cylinders vs 4,, sure it's smoother... Faster,, the RSV is de-tuned from the V-max so that can be corrected. Less top heavy,, hmm, a lot of the top heavy feel is from the extra large Brickstone front tire on the Royal Stars.. I switched from it to a 130 front and the bike handles so much better.. Even so, I road the 1800 and 1500 wings, thought the 1500 was about the same as the RSV at parking lot speeds and the 1800 felt heavier than my RSV at parking lot speeds even before I changed the tire.. Never road the Valk, not sure how much different that feels from the 1500 Wing. None of the Hondas had the leg room I have on the RSV..

And anyway, back to the subject of the thread, when I bought my RSV I test road tons of bikes, the only three I road more than once were the 1800 Wing, the BMW 1200LT, and the RSV, we all know what I picked.. But I did love the engine on the V-Rod and had they made a full dress V-Rod with comfortable ergonomics I might have gone there.

6 cylinders vs 4,, sure it's smoother... Faster,, the RSV is de-tuned from the V-max so that can be corrected. Less top heavy,, hmm, a lot of the top heavy feel is from the extra large Brickstone front tire on the Royal Stars.. I switched from it to a 130 front and the bike handles so much better.. Even so, I road the 1800 and 1500 wings, thought the 1500 was about the same as the RSV at parking lot speeds and the 1800 felt heavier than my RSV at parking lot speeds even before I changed the tire.. Never road the Valk, not sure how much different that feels from the 1500 Wing. None of the Hondas had the leg room I have on the RSV..

And anyway, back to the subject of the thread, when I bought my RSV I test road tons of bikes, the only three I road more than once were the 1800 Wing, the BMW 1200LT, and the RSV, we all know what I picked.. But I did love the engine on the V-Rod and had they made a full dress V-Rod with comfortable ergonomics I might have gone there.

I always go back to the ergonomics on the Venture. Fit's tall guys to a "T". I still look at those Ultra Classics and think how nice they are. Trouble is, when I sit on them I remember the cramped up feeling I got and why I didn't buy one in the first place.

I also bought a 09 Ultra this past June. Fits my long inseam much better than my 89 VR.

Like both bikes for different reasons. The Ultra is for cruzin' and the VR is my go fast tour bike.

I had a 05 Kawasaki Nomad which I had a blast on also, that being said, just get out there and ride! Enjoy all the new people you meet.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/davepa/harley104-1.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/davepa/IMG_0651.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w203/davepa/103_4035.jpg

Regards Dave

The first reason I like the Venture' is because I own one, no the bank doesn't own it, I do!

The second reason is that while I ride a Venture, the Harley dealer won't talk to me. Guess I'd have to buy a Harley at the local Yammi shop, then ride it over to the Harley store and then maybe they would talk to me,,,,, oh well, not my loss.

For those of you who get so defensive whenever anyone says that they don't like this or that about the Venture...... no where do I say that I thought the Harley was a better bike. And nowhere did I say that the RSV wasn't a good bike. I just stated my experience from riding 4 Harleys and said that there were a couple of things that I...I personally...don't like about the RSV......nothing more.

:sign yeah that:

I also bought a 09 Ultra this past June. Fits my long inseam much better than my 89 VR.

Like both bikes for different reasons. The Ultra is for cruzin' and the VR is my go fast tour bike.

, that being said, just get out there and ride! Enjoy all the new people you meet.

:sign yeah that: Kind of feel the same way. Like I said, completely different bikes.

Make the RSV perfect.

Use the Vmax fuel injected motor.

Retune the seat

Update the electronics / audio system from the 90's to the 21st century

Quick release bags(ie Harley)

Side open trunk(ie Harley)

IMHO

In your dreams...that'll never happen. Your next Gen Venture will be a Stratoliner.

I always go back to the ergonomics on the Venture. Fit's tall guys to a "T". I still look at those Ultra Classics and think how nice they are. Trouble is, when I sit on them I remember the cramped up feeling I got and why I didn't buy one in the first place.

I was originally looking at the Yamaha FJR1300 and the wife said if I got something comfortable for her she would do trips with me. So I started looking at the Honda ST1300 as it seemed roomier, but she asked if I was kidding. So we started looking at full dress bikes. We sat on an Ultra Classic and she complained the passenger area was too cramped. She actually thought the BMW had the most comfortable passenger ergonomics, but thought both the Wing and RSV were close and plenty comfortable. I thought the RSV was the most comfortable.

I agree with the cramped up feeling at least on the years around 2003. I bought a 03 ultra rode it 750 miles shipped the seat back to my house and put a Corbin on it then went 20 hours strait with my 4 year old son. I am 6ft 4inch and the Corbin moved me back and gave me the extra room.

I had an 07 RSV which I liked very much and had an 03 Harley which I also liked. I only had time and space for one bike and ended up with a 2010 Ultra Limited which came with a fuel injected engine, six speed transmission, ABS and heated hand grips. Although it doesn't have a tape deck, it does have a CD player. The new frame (09 and newer) gives as much room as the RSV and is a great touring bike. I can choose from an almost unlimited supply of aftermarket parts to "make it mine". If Yamaha put half the effort in developing and marketing the RSV it make it a better bike. I was very happy with my 07 RSV and if I had the time to ride two bikes and the room to store them I would still have it. As others have said, ride what you like and like what you ride.

Love my 08 RSV but the overall fit and finish on the my friends 09 Harley Ultra is better. The Harley has more options and accessories available for it. Harley has done a better job on the Ultra of staying up with technology than Yamaha has done with the RSV. The off idle ride on the Ultra is very smooth compared to the RSV. Lets face it, the vibration dampers on the handlebars of the RSV are there for a reason. The biggest difference though is my RSV actually cost me over $10K less than his Ultra cost him. For 10K I can pass on the fuel injection and anti-loc brakes. Even though his gauges, saddlebag guards and passing lamps were standard mine didn't cost enough extra to affect the price offset. Also I like the retro dash, the shaft drive and the V-4. Problem is when it is time to trade in the RSV what is there to upgrade to?

Love my 08 RSV but the overall fit and finish on the my friends 09 Harley Ultra is better. The Harley has more options and accessories available for it. Harley has done a better job on the Ultra of staying up with technology than Yamaha has done with the RSV. The off idle ride on the Ultra is very smooth compared to the RSV. Lets face it, the vibration dampers on the handlebars of the RSV are there for a reason. The biggest difference though is my RSV actually cost me over $10K less than his Ultra cost him. For 10K I can pass on the fuel injection and anti-loc brakes. Even though his gauges, saddlebag guards and passing lamps were standard mine didn't cost enough extra to affect the price offset. Also I like the retro dash, the shaft drive and the V-4. Problem is when it is time to trade in the RSV what is there to upgrade to?

Rumor has it Harley will be going water cooled for the 2011 touring line up. Not sure if it true, but if it is Yamaha may lose some sales if they don't get on the ball.

I had an 07 RSV which I liked very much and had an 03 Harley which I also liked. I only had time and space for one bike and ended up with a 2010 Ultra Limited which came with a fuel injected engine, six speed transmission, ABS and heated hand grips. Although it doesn't have a tape deck, it does have a CD player. The new frame (09 and newer) gives as much room as the RSV and is a great touring bike. I can choose from an almost unlimited supply of aftermarket parts to "make it mine". If Yamaha put half the effort in developing and marketing the RSV it make it a better bike. I was very happy with my 07 RSV and if I had the time to ride two bikes and the room to store them I would still have it. As others have said, ride what you like and like what you ride.

After reading your post Tombo I checked the stats on the new Upgraded Ultra's. Sounds like they stretched the frame a bit and that would definitely help with the taller riders. That was really the deal breaker for me buying one back in '07. I've got my Venture dialed in just perfect and I'm going to keep riding it at least until the warranty is done. After that I'll decide whether to keep this bike or buy a new one. I have a feeling this generation of Venture is at the end of its run. It will be interesting to see what Yamaha comes up with for their new Touring bike. Those new Harley's are pretty sweet!

After reading your post Tombo I checked the stats on the new Upgraded Ultra's. Sounds like they stretched the frame a bit and that would definitely help with the taller riders. That was really the deal breaker for me buying one back in '07. I've got my Venture dialed in just perfect and I'm going to keep riding it at least until the warranty is done. After that I'll decide whether to keep this bike or buy a new one. I have a feeling this generation of Venture is at the end of its run. It will be interesting to see what Yamaha comes up with for their new Touring bike. Those new Harley's are pretty sweet!

The strectched frame on the 09 and newer Harley's is what really made it possible for me to go with the new Limited. The wife took her first ride on it a couple weeks ago and she had no complaints. Pretty close to the RSV in leg room all around. The lower center of gravity, low end torque and seat height make it feel more manuvearable around town. Yamaha can make a better bike, they just need to do it.

One of the things I like about my Venture is that I don't see one on every corner. HD must sell more Ultras than anything else because that's all you see. I know 3 guys at my work who own the exact same bike, color and all.

If I wanted a Harley, I'd probably buy the Road Glide. They're somewhat unique and you don't see a whole lot of them around here. I hear the buffeting is horrible on them, though, so I'd definitely have to test ride one. Street Glides are pretty cool, too.

When I get rid of the Venture, which I'll do when my wife decides she no longer wants to ride with me, I'll probably go smaller. A VTX 1300 can be made up to do it all. I really like the Valkyries, though, and might be tempted if a nice one is for sale somewhere.

I have a '97 Valkyrie Standard as well as an '09 RSV. When I get on the Venture after the Valk it feels rumbly and shakey. But that feeling passes quickly. I LIKE the Venture. And still like the Valkyrie. They're different rides for different riding. I can see someone going from a Venture to a Harley, it would be different. So I guess, different strokes for different folks (and yeah, I'm really dating myself with that one).

One of the things I like about my Venture is that I don't see one on every corner. HD must sell more Ultras than anything else because that's all you see. I know 3 guys at my work who own the exact same bike, color and all.

If I wanted a Harley, I'd probably buy the Road Glide. They're somewhat unique and you don't see a whole lot of them around here. I hear the buffeting is horrible on them, though, so I'd definitely have to test ride one. Street Glides are pretty cool, too.

When I get rid of the Venture, which I'll do when my wife decides she no longer wants to ride with me, I'll probably go smaller. A VTX 1300 can be made up to do it all. I really like the Valkyries, though, and might be tempted if a nice one is for sale somewhere.

If you are going solo a Yamaha V-star 650 Silverado will suffice, and the V-star 950 Tourer is more than sufficient. Both feel more comfortable to me than the VTX, and both get better gas mileage.

Although if I was riding solo I might get a RSTD and replace the passenger seat with a luggage rack. Or maybe a BMW GS,, or a Guzzi Breva 1200, or a Harley Crossbones, or . . . .

Edited by hig4s

What I don't understand is why they put the Road Glide frame mounted fairing on the V-rod and make a touring bike they can't sell enough of. Smooth,, fast , liquid cooled and stable as hell.

Yea, but even the Harley folks don't accept the V-Rod as a Harley!!! Even though, if I had to buy one, that'd be it. It's probably the best engine HD has ever had built.

Here is your bike of choice or at least one you may want to check out.....1999 HONDA VALKYRIE INTERSTATE

http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=735666

Regards Dave

looks like a smokin deal ... guy up here has identical bike and was askin $13,500 ... just for the bike!..that was last year...dunno if he sold it or what.