Does anyone have a picture of the front lower, and side panels? I am specifically looking for how the panels attach to each other, not necessarily to the frame. I think I may be missing a piece or two.:crying:

Thanks

Kevin

Does anyone have a picture of the front lower, and side panels? I am specifically looking for how the panels attach to each other, not necessarily to the frame. I think I may be missing a piece or two.:crying:

Thanks

Kevin

Threaded body clips, screws & spacer washers that help protect the holes in the ABS (where the mounting screws pass through).

Best to look at a exploded parts diagram, to get a better idea on fitment.

Does anyone have a picture of the front lower, and side panels? I am specifically looking for how the panels attach to each other, not necessarily to the frame. I think I may be missing a piece or two.

Thanks

Kevin

My side and front lowers are currently in my kitchen, but I an not sure about your specific question. These panels do not attach to each other. The front lowers attach at the top by two threaded screws (to the fairing frame I beleive). The side panels just pop into place. If you want, I can take pictures of these panels and PM or e-mail them to you.

First picture shows attachment of two parts.

The front cross piece under the radiator has a clip nut on each end.

The leg coming down from the rear of the main fairing that turns forward and joins this piece has a hole in bottom of it.

Phillips head screw attaches these two together on each side.

Rearward piece snaps into the connector shown in second picture.

Gary

Maybe I am mis-understanding then. My front lower piece, as the manul calls it, is the one with the air vents in it. It has 3 tabs running top to bottom, that look like they are supposed to connect to something on the side panel under the seat. Does that make more sense? I understand the screws to the frame part, just thought based on the three tabs that there was supposed to be something there to attach to the side panel under the seats.

The long side panel, the one that covers the carbs & gas tank does not screw or attach at top.

There are two short rubber bumpers at the top.

It has a snap clip at rear, one at bottom, or a rubber strap depending on year. And two pins at front leading edge.

Hope I am showing correct piece.

If not a picture would help.

Gary

Yes Gary, that piece, and the one just in front of it, that has the air vents in it. I just assumed based on the front one having tabs that it attached to this one somehow. guess I was wrong. Thanks for the pics, and the help. That means one less problem to solve. Soon, ah so soon, she will be on the road!:12101:

Attached are a couple of pictures of a fix I did to tabs on bottom of my side panel.

Used 1/8" aluminum.

Drilled two holes on either end.

Connected two holes with hacksaw.

Cut a slot into center to match pin.

Epoxied into place.

They have worked for a couple of years now.

Gary

• 3 months later...

I ordered and fixed a few broken tabs using PLASTEX...after reading recommendations from this site. www.plastex.net

There are some low quality HOW TO video's on their web page.

It is pricey!!!!! I ordered the "shop" kit...after exchange, and shipping it cost me close to $170.

Iit comes with a molding bar so you can make a mold from existing tabs and create new ones.

I had 1/2 of 1 tab...and was able to make 3 complete new tabs from that!

I plan on striping my blonde down to the frame over the winter and I'll be repairing every crack on the faring, trunk and bags along with a few more missing tabs on the upper fairing.

For the money I might have been able to buy 1 or 2 peices of E-Bay...but I should have enough to do the whole bike ....and more!

Are the engine side panels interchangable between the 83 and 85 venture?If so what are the differences.Thanks all.:confused24:

The 83 Venture used a pin on the on the side stay bar to engage a tab molded into the side cover. This secures the side cover at bottom edge near passenger foot peg.

The 84 & up used a rubber band and different side stay configuration to secure the lower side cover.

They are interchangeable if the side stays are also changed, or other method of fastening the lower side cover is made.

The side stays are shown in the Cowling section of the parts fiche. The side cover bands are shown in the Side Cover section.

Also early 83's did not have the notch in the right side cover for access to the fuel petcock, as they did not have a reserve setting.

Gary

Are the engine side panels interchangable between the 83 and 85 venture?If so what are the differences.Thanks all.:confused24:

The first '83's came out with a 'rams horn' type tab on the bottom of the side panel which broke very quickly. I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't broken. Just as quickly Y redesigned them to the rubber strap system. If you have the early panels with broken horns and would like to swap out for the new style all it takes is replacing the attachment struts.. easy.. and picking up a set of the newer covers and straps off an '84 standard, if you have a gold. It's all available on Ebay from time to time.