IGNORED

How much money are we putting into our rides?

Godlover

Picture a bucket - with no bottom to it. Kind of like a boat, but more fun.

Initial cost of the Venture (bought 2000RSV in 2002 with 9000 miles)

Already had installed: Light bar, backrest, saddle bag rails, front fender rail, trailer hitch, chrome cresents (behind pass foot boards), trunk rack, chrome brake and clutch reservoir covers, and tank bib.

I have added or purchased:

CD player - bought installed for 2 years and then sold.

Upgraded lights

Harley brake lights/bracket

Aux fuse block

Several sets of tires

Stebel horn

Raising links

Handlebar Risers

Longhorn highway foot pegs

Zumo 550

Rain suit(s)

Airhawk

Sheepskin

Corbon saddle - bought and sold

Russell Day Long Saddle

Gel cushion (for the bride to ride pillion)

K&N air filters

Chrome radiator cover

Upgraded clutch spring

Several helmets

Several headsets in said helmets

Lots of specialty tools

Aux fuel tanks - 3 gal and 5 gal

Chrome choke lever cover

Water bottle holder

Voltmeter (installed on bike)

Dual Heat-Troller

Electric jacket liner

Electric gloves

Odyssee AGM battery

Battery Tender

Motorcycle lift

Carbon One adapter

Shim kit and feeler gauge

ColorTune

CarbTune

Plug kit

Heavy duty cover

Light duty travel cover

Armored Air jacket

Armored all season textile jacket (in 2 sizes)

Leather chaps

Armored Air overpants

Armored all season textile overpants

couple pairs riding boots

Special padded socks

Special flat seam undershorts for long distant comfort

Several pairs riding gloves

Service Manual

AMA membership

Membership to this fine sight

and we can't forget - getting a couple of friends (additional bikes) so the Venture doesn't feel lonely in the garage during the winter.

I'm sure there is more.

This is an addiction. I believe the need to go riding is in order.

RR

And where exactly do you live? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Truthfully.............I spend more on safety chrome than the hubby does. My thoughts are.....this is the one sport, hobby, etc. that we enjoy together. We are frugal with our funds because around here, that's how life is.

I hate shopping, we don't go out to "fancy" eating places, I don't get manicures, we camp usually rather than hoteling it...(apparently raising 3 sons and no daughters has had an effect of me) ....so if I want to see our Black Beauty or my Virago spruced up a little with a new piece of saftey chrome, I don't feel one bit guilty.

I really am thinking....eusa1 chrome lower fairings would look pretty sweet!!!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=43657&d=1270515473

A posting like this absolutely saved me a few years ago. Someone brought up the fact that most insurance policies have considerable limits regarding what accessories they will cover and replace in the event of an accident. At the time, I was insured by Geico. So I called Geico and asked them how much all of the accessories on my bike were covered for, and they replied $1,500. And, they also had some other rather restrictive conditions regarding their motorcycle coverage. Well, I knew that I had to get substantially better coverage than that. So, I dropped my bike coverage with Geico and switched over to Foremost (through Farmer's).

In order to cover all of my extras with Foremost, I was required to submit current photographs, along with a signed statement of inspection by my local Yamaha dealer stating that I indeed have everything on (or done) to my bike. My dealer also included a statement which attested to the current value of the bike, based on what it would cost me to replace it with a new comparable bike.

Lastly, I have always tried to save all of my purchase receipts for things added and work done on my bikes. This later on proved to make all of the difference when it came time to file a claim.

After the accident, when I initially spoke with an adjuster, he simply looked-up a "book value", added my mileage and then told me what they were willing to offer me. My reply was ... I don't think so. I then stated the value of what I had actually insured the bike for. I also told him about all of my photos, documentation and receipts. The adjusted then said that he would get back with me shortly.

A little later on, I was contacted by the adjuster and he agreed that since I had absolutely all of my bases covered (so to speak), that Foremost would have to honor their extended insurance agreement with me. So, instead of having to settle for something like $4,000 for my 1996 Yamaha Royal Star with 32,000 miles, I was able to receive about $12,500. This went a long way in to helping me get the Venture I now ride.

The moral of this story? CYA. Save all of your receipts. Document everything. Take lots of good-quality,current pictures from many angels. Double-check your policy agreements with your current ins. carrier. It's so much nicer to be prepared than to be surprised or caught unprepared.

Be Safe!

Pete.

Well as much as I'd like to go hog wild with tricking out my Venture there are 2 main reasons why that's not gonna happen....

1) I don't have the finances anymore to support that dream

2) After crashing my Venture I hate the thought of THAT happening again and losing the bike for good due to the extent of damage.

I will say tho that if I ever hit that darn Powerball I'm gonna remember those who helped me up when life kicked me to the curb.....and more than one member here is gonna get a 1 month Vacation-all expenses paid-including the Bar tab.....to Tahiti....where the wimmen don't wear no tops.

Boomer....a man of his word and cheesecake Conysuuur fer sure.

done the following for .50 cent ( that's my story and I am sticking to it)

Led light in:

upper fairing

lower fairing

saddle bag rails had rail just add inserts and lights

tail/stop light

59 caddy turn and tail light

rear spoiler

Front fender rail

clear view windshield

voltage monitor

level links

Venture bell

trailer hitch

billet air cleaners

and a trailer with all led and paint to match bike

Like I said a bargain at .50 cents:cool10:

Unfortunately I have spent more than I would like to admit - but some of this money was due to problems that had to be corrected (not counting maintenance items; ie. tires, brakes, fluids).

Replaced radio unit (got used from pinwall)

Highway pegs

Utopia backrest (used from a very very generous member here; Thanks again Ron!! You have done WONDERS for my back)

Rear shock (in progress)

Air horn

2 headsets for helmets

2 Crash jackets (one for me and one for my g/f)

Carbon_one lift adapter

Carbon_one crash bar supports

Rear light bar for under trunk (I just love those truck stops, ~$10 after mounting hardware, etc)

32 LED Tail light cluster

Ruffy Fork Deflectors

Clearview shield (from fellow member here)

OEM shield (From fellow member here, that lasted me a grand total of about 150 miles, thanks to a freaking bird)

I think that is about it (again, not including some of the maintenance items and 'minor' parts that I have replaced or rebuilt for safety or preventative maintenance measures)

Although after reading some of our fellow member's lists, I think I am in pretty good shape.

:mo money::mo money::mo money:

After reading his List I was just about to post that very question....:rotf:.

Boomer....who can sneek around in de dark wit the best of em....:whistling:

However, Boomer, can you sneak around better than my dog (big one)?

Hope to meet you at the Cheesecake open house. I was originally thinking it would be somewhat unlikely to get there, but some changes happened today that may make it work. We will see. (and I will share cheesecake with friends that don't mess with my dog).

RR.... who can sleep thru anything 'cause my dog can't.

A posting like this absolutely saved me a few years ago. Someone brought up the fact that most insurance policies have considerable limits regarding what accessories they will cover and replace in the event of an accident. At the time, I was insured by Geico. So I called Geico and asked them how much all of the accessories on my bike were covered for, and they replied $1,500. And, they also had some other rather restrictive conditions regarding their motorcycle coverage. Well, I knew that I had to get substantially better coverage than that. So, I dropped my bike coverage with Geico and switched over to Foremost (through Farmer's).

In order to cover all of my extras with Foremost, I was required to submit current photographs, along with a signed statement of inspection by my local Yamaha dealer stating that I indeed have everything on (or done) to my bike. My dealer also included a statement which attested to the current value of the bike, based on what it would cost me to replace it with a new comparable bike.

Lastly, I have always tried to save all of my purchase receipts for things added and work done on my bikes. This later on proved to make all of the difference when it came time to file a claim.

After the accident, when I initially spoke with an adjuster, he simply looked-up a "book value", added my mileage and then told me what they were willing to offer me. My reply was ... I don't think so. I then stated the value of what I had actually insured the bike for. I also told him about all of my photos, documentation and receipts. The adjusted then said that he would get back with me shortly.

A little later on, I was contacted by the adjuster and he agreed that since I had absolutely all of my bases covered (so to speak), that Foremost would have to honor their extended insurance agreement with me. So, instead of having to settle for something like $4,000 for my 1996 Yamaha Royal Star with 32,000 miles, I was able to receive about $12,500. This went a long way in to helping me get the Venture I now ride.

The moral of this story? CYA. Save all of your receipts. Document everything. Take lots of good-quality,current pictures from many angels. Double-check your policy agreements with your current ins. carrier. It's so much nicer to be prepared than to be surprised or caught unprepared.

Be Safe!

Pete.

excellent advice!!