IGNORED

How much money are we putting into our rides?

Godlover

It seems like every time I turn around I am wanting to buy something else for my RSV. I'm kind of afraid to add it up. Makes me wonder - what's the most money w/0 triking that someone has put into their RSV or Tour Deluxe after purchasing the bike?

Isn't it funny, we will add $2500-$5000+ in "safety chrome" pay extra to insure it all because otherwise the insurance company will only cover stock. Then when it is time to trade "up" for a new "stock" bike none of the add-ons seem to have any value. So we start all over again adding "safety chrome" to the new ride. After all its only:mo money:

How much money have I put into my bike?

Well... the answer varies according to who you ask.

My wife would say "Wayyyyy too much".:mo money:

My answer is - Not nearly enough! Of course, if I had my way, everything on it would be custom made and triple chrome plated!

I can't put a dollar amount on what I have spent, probably don't want to know exactly how much! :yikes:

Dave

I think that the best person to answer this question would be our very own Eddie (The Shiny One) :) I have no idea how much he has spent but the custom ghost flame paint job, the chromed rims, etc. had to all add up. It sure turned out nice.

There was that one Craigslist ad where the owner said he had $35000 into his Venture.

Generously figure at full new purchase price $18K that's $17000 dollars into add on's.

I'm not even sure that's possible without having things custom made.

Picture a bucket - with no bottom to it. Kind of like a boat, but more fun.

Initial cost of the Venture (bought 2000RSV in 2002 with 9000 miles)

Already had installed: Light bar, backrest, saddle bag rails, front fender rail, trailer hitch, chrome cresents (behind pass foot boards), trunk rack, chrome brake and clutch reservoir covers, and tank bib.

I have added or purchased:

CD player - bought installed for 2 years and then sold.

Upgraded lights

Harley brake lights/bracket

Aux fuse block

Several sets of tires

Stebel horn

Raising links

Handlebar Risers

Longhorn highway foot pegs

Zumo 550

Rain suit(s)

Airhawk

Sheepskin

Corbon saddle - bought and sold

Russell Day Long Saddle

Gel cushion (for the bride to ride pillion)

K&N air filters

Chrome radiator cover

Upgraded clutch spring

Several helmets

Several headsets in said helmets

Lots of specialty tools

Aux fuel tanks - 3 gal and 5 gal

Chrome choke lever cover

Water bottle holder

Voltmeter (installed on bike)

Dual Heat-Troller

Electric jacket liner

Electric gloves

Odyssee AGM battery

Battery Tender

Motorcycle lift

Carbon One adapter

Shim kit and feeler gauge

ColorTune

CarbTune

Plug kit

Heavy duty cover

Light duty travel cover

Armored Air jacket

Armored all season textile jacket (in 2 sizes)

Leather chaps

Armored Air overpants

Armored all season textile overpants

couple pairs riding boots

Special padded socks

Special flat seam undershorts for long distant comfort

Several pairs riding gloves

Service Manual

AMA membership

Membership to this fine sight

and we can't forget - getting a couple of friends (additional bikes) so the Venture doesn't feel lonely in the garage during the winter.

I'm sure there is more.

Thought of a couple more:

Pull behind trailer for when the bride comes along.

Front chock for trailering bike (only used once on the Venture - she doesn't like the trailer).

Tank bag

Rick Butler cable for tying in bluetooth phone to Zumo to headset

Dingy steering nut tool (really nice)

This is an addiction. I believe the need to go riding is in order.

RR

Edited by RedRider
Added some stuff

Now, I love my wife dearly and would never intentionally deceive her. However, over the years I have been trained (by her) in the art of "not spending". Also, when it comes to safety she never argues about the coast of anything if it has the potential to return me safely home. Also, anything that fits in the "cute" category is automatically cost justified. Gremlin bells, leather vests with fringe fall into this category. Tattoos however do not.

1) she truly believes there is such a thing as safety chrome. (bless her)

2) I got it on "sale" I saved us money. (learned from her)

3) Oh this "old thing" I've had it on my bike for years. (her version is Oh this old thing I've had in my closet for years...)

4) But I got this for you/us I though you'd appreciate it. I was only thinking of you. (only works for riding gear, comfort items (seats, back rests, arm rests)

5) It doesn't make your butt look big at all in fact it looks even... (a sure winner cost justifier)

Lightbar, eyebrows, tailight cover, license frame & bolts, backrest, floorboards (both sets), Bubs, lowering kit (& install), choke cover, passing light bar, grill, brake covers,highway pegs, shifter, brake, alarm etc..... since I do document this stuff .....so far $3935. But I've also spent $3090 on bike insurance in the last 3 years and what do I have to show for that?? Whereas the chrome and leather gives me endless hours and cleaning and polishing nirvana. It an investment in karma.

my insurance company is pekin, they do not charge any extra premium for my added accessories, they do require that i give them an updated list whenever i add another chrome goodie, and any item not on the list, is not covered in the event of a loss.

in 2005 my first 03 rsv was totaled and the accessories list at that time was $13,525.00 above the value of the bike.

ask your insurance provider about their policy on accessories :confused07:

p/s the wife likes chrome on her bike too:starz:

mike

Have you ever heard about the Don't ask/don't tell Policy.

Take a Look at E-fishin-C Sig ...

:crackup::crackup:

Every time I get another package in the mail, the divorce gets a little closer.

She is even getting a set of passenger floorboards, I thought that would keep her happy, but oh no.

Gary

ZILCH!

mine came complete......handle bar, tires with rims....brakes....both front and rear...carbs, engine, mud guards, horn,clutch and brake levers...mirrors...head and tail lamps...front and rear indicators..gas tank..rider and passenger seats....battery...radiator....starter...the whole shebang! now i could be forgetting one or two more things here,,,,but hey....it runs!

i dont really care for the extras. all i want to do is ride....not impress my neighbours.:rasberry::canada:

Let me tell you I hasd thought about this and done some research on one of my bikes as I was looking to sell it. So I went out on Ebay and visited a few websites to get the get an average of what the items were going for new. The total was almost 3,000. Scarry I did not know I had that much into it. We bought my wifes 1100 classic used and by the time were done we had almost as much in accessories as we paid for the bike.

Now, I love my wife dearly and would never intentionally deceive her. However, over the years I have been trained (by her) in the art of "not spending". Also, when it comes to safety she never argues about the coast of anything if it has the potential to return me safely home. Also, anything that fits in the "cute" category is automatically cost justified. Gremlin bells, leather vests with fringe fall into this category. Tattoos however do not.

1) she truly believes there is such a thing as safety chrome. (bless her)

2) I got it on "sale" I saved us money. (learned from her)

3) Oh this "old thing" I've had it on my bike for years. (her version is Oh this old thing I've had in my closet for years...)

4) But I got this for you/us I though you'd appreciate it. I was only thinking of you. (only works for riding gear, comfort items (seats, back rests, arm rests)

5) It doesn't make your butt look big at all in fact it looks even... (a sure winner cost justifier)

:clap2::clap2::clap2::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I do only back road riding and sometimes the Venture is just a little too big to throw around the curves. SO I purchased a left over " new " Kaw. Versys last month (2008 5 miles) for $5,700 + taxes and have added about $1,500. of stuff so far.

Cb light and nimble but not as comfortable