stopped to fill up and after that I had neither speedo nor odometer. No funky noises implying impending doom, it just quit. The connector on the wheel was not tight but that didn't help, and the cable housing is not falling down.

Now I thought the odo was electronic, so what might have happened to crash both? Panel light are still working.

If someone has a spare or a spare cable and is going to the Ga MD let me know. In case you didn't see it in my sign on, it's a '83 royale. Thanks.

Speedometer and odometer are 100% mechanical on 1st gen. Tachometer is electronic.

Almost certain to be a broken cable (they break inside where you can't see it). Unscrew the cable at the wheel and pull the inner cable out. If you don't get a piece with 2 square ends it's broken.

stopped to fill up and after that I had neither speedo nor odometer. No funky noises implying impending doom, it just quit. The connector on the wheel was not tight but that didn't help, and the cable housing is not falling down.

Now I thought the odo was electronic, so what might have happened to crash both? Panel light are still working.

Thanks.

Both are driven by the cable.......

The inner cable may not be engaged in the drive unit. Is it still in there??? As the stock routing for it, is from the bottom up to speedo. I reverse it, so cable can't be lost, if the bottom connector comes undone.:2cents:

What I do when having cable dis-connected from the bottom end & re-connecting to drive unit.

Bike on centerstand

Front wheel off the ground, for rotating

Rotate wheel, while putting inner cable into drive unit (cable housing retainer out of the way for visability) you should see cable rotating from drive unit gear, when engaged.

Thead cable housing retainer to drive unit

Done, take off of centerstand & test ride.

:080402gudl_prv:

I suppose next you're going to tell me it's supposed to be more than 12 inches long??:innocent: Now to get the rest out and find a replacement, Thanks for the feedback

Speedometer and odometer are 100% mechanical on 1st gen. Tachometer is electronic.

Almost certain to be a broken cable (they break inside where you can't see it). Unscrew the cable at the wheel and pull the inner cable out. If you don't get a piece with 2 square ends it's broken.

It's all good Earl, local shop should have me a new one here by Thursday for $26.00 (complete cable) I appreciate the offer though.

In hindsight I wonder if last years "squeal fest" has something to do with it. that thing was going nuts and I suppose may have damaged the cable as well as the housing?