IGNORED

Disabaled People Shouldn't Ride?

KarlS

On another thread people made comments about a women who was in a motorcycle accident who happened to be out of work because she was on disability. I'm 100% disabled and would rather be working. (I made lots more money) Until this last back operation I couldn't drive my van for an hour without pulling over and getting out because of the pain. Can't ride in cars because I can't get in or out of them. If I go in a store for a loaf of bread I have to use a shopping cart because if I'm on my feet for more then a few minutes without something to lean on my legs go numb and I can't walk. I bought a special office chair with a dozen adjustments so I can set down without pain at home because regular living room chairs won't work, when I visit someone I ask to set in a kitchen chair so I can get back up. Sleep most of the time propped up setting in the corner of the couch that a friend built a frame to raise the height 8" so I can get in and out of it. If my home caught on fire at night I'd just would have to burn up because when I wake up it takes about a half hour before my right leg will work good enough to take more then a step or two. BUT I can ride the gold wing with back rest I had or the 1st gen Venture with back rest that I have now all day and feel better then anything else I can set in or drive. Friends even joke that I should find a old Venture frame with a seat and put it in my living room. And try applying for a job with such a bad back and see who would hire you. I tried, I didn't want to go on disability, I've worked all my life and wish every day I still could. So because I can ride "certain" motorcycles I'm faking?? There are a lot of people faking and using the system but because someone can find something in their life that they can still do don't lump them in the lazy bum category. Heck having sex is harder then riding and I'm not going to give that up either. So sometimes people need to know all the information before such broad comments are made. Sorry I took it so personal but it hit home.

I agree. My wife is 100% disabled. That means she cannot work a regular job, day in and day out. It doesn't mean she can't get out for an occaisonal ride on her scoot. Not every bike is as hard to handle as an RSV. On a Goldwing forum I participate in there is a man who straps a wheel chair to the back of his wing. Should he not be riding?

I am lucky , I can still work.. I had intense radiation treatment for my cancer about 5 years ago just right after I got my RSV , the day after I bought my RSV

I had to go to a 3 month treatment. and after that It did effect my lower back.

I did however try for 3 more years with two wheels and the weight of the RSV

just was getting to much for me to man handle. so that is one of the reasons

I triked. so glad I did now. I also can still work at my Job. even though I want to retire RIGHT now :).

I feel for you Karl and you can vent anytime! :D hang in there bro!

Jeff

There are a lot of people that make assumptions based on a very small amount of the information or even no info other than personal feelings.

I had an accident a while back and my right leg was in a cast from the toes to mid thigh.

Since this happened in February in Wisconsin and with our weather, I did apply for and get a handicap parking permit. I still almost always parked in the regular parking and cruched my way around.

The one time that I did park up front in a handicapped spot because it was pouring rain and I did not want to get the cast too wet, there was some guy came running up to me and started screaming profanity, because no one that can drive a full size 4x4 pickup can possibly be handicapped. As soon as I climbed out with my cast and crutches, His wife proceeded to beat him over the head with her purse all the way into the store till they were out of sight.

Times were and hopefully won't be again, that I had a sore back, sore enough to pretty much immobilize me, so I laid down most times. Could most times stand up 'straight' and walk, but bending and sitting was just not to be done. Found the best therapy was to ride a farm tractor on ploughed fields,,, or later when I got my scoot,,, just to go for a ride. It made me move in each and everyway way and so loosened up things that were on the tight side,,,, worked for me.

You know every time I see someone park in the handicap parking and get out and walk in to Walmart...I look for a handicap sticker or tag on thier car. I see it all the time...these Strapping young men with muscles poking out and arms as big as my legs...that look like they just come back from the Gym ,get out of the car in a handicap space and go into an store. Probably still got thier gym clothes on with a towel around their neck. :confused07:

Most common folks are quick to pass judgement on this guy whether his is actually disable or doing like a lot of folks...working the system cause they want to lay on thier lazy A__ and draw a check for doing nothing. The guy looks fine to me...why in the hell is he parking in the handicap parking spot. :bang head:

What we fail to realize, is we do not know all the facts. Most of us are not medical doctors capable of determining who is disable or not. Even doctors can determine disability status by site alone.

This Strapping young guy I described above is a Vet that lost his legs in Iraq and had just came from the gym to stay in shape. He has artificial legs and has adapted very well and hardly has a limp at all. He is a good friend of mine.

Everyone needs to tend to thier own business and do not pass judgement till you know all the details. What goes around comes around. If you working the system to get over then your day will come.

Sure there is a lot of folks working the system and there is a lot that need to be on disablity that have a hard time getting on it. My dad before he died is one. He had some problems (heart valve replacement then cancer) and the doctors would not release him to go back to work. He at 58 thought he was fine and desperately wanted to go back to work. We could not get him on disablity or any assistance from Social Security. He had no income and I supported him finically and other wise for 5 years. He cut grass, washed and painted houses trying to make ends meet. Finally his cancer came back and it killed him that time. I am still pissed at the system for denying him what he paid into all his life.

In 98 I had a hunting accident. Broke my back in two places, split my pelvis in two, broke two ribs and my arm. Spent 4 weeks in the hospital, 8 weeks home recovery, 7 month in therapy. During that time if I needed to go to the store I had to use the motorized carts that the stores provided. I was amazed at the number of people who made comments (loud enough for me to hear) about me being in that machine and if I can't walk I should stay home. That certainly changed my outlook on the disabled, it made me realize a disability can be for any reason not just something visable and not something permanent.

I too live with a lot of pain because of the accident. Uncle Arthur has moved into alot of my broken areas and It makes it hard to bend and hard to sit for more than a couple hours at a time. The only time I really don't notice the discomfort is on my bike, 6 min or 6 hours makes no difference. Sometimes when I feel bad all it takes is a short ride and I usually feel better. I can't explain it, maybe it's the vibration, who knows but it sounds like it works for a few of us.

Great post, it should be required reading for everyone.

John :97:

My Mother In-Law was paralyzed from the waste down and the doctors told her that she would NEVER be able to have kids. she proved them wrong. she also brought her up telling her NEVER say you can not do something. this is back in the day , where there was no handicap anything. and she managed to get around. they went to McDonald's a lot :D My Wife learned to cook at a very young age. Mom in-law also worked until the day she passed away.

Before my accident I worked in the disability sector, so learnt first hand how cold and un-caring some people have become. My residents were also interlectually challenged as well as physically----and I trained my staff to support their right to live and share in their local community.

I came across people who believed they should not be taken out in public, or enjoy participating in weekly food shopping. These people certainly got "the hairy eyeball" from me !!!!

Now I am disabled myself I am on the receiving end of some of that ignorance. To go into the shopping centre on my elbow crutches is really running the gauntlet, as people cut you off, walk across in front of you, or steer prams and trolleys into me. I can't change direction easily -- they can. (very frightening for me)

THEY JUST DON'T LOOK. And the rude stares I get 'cause I don't pull my right leg in out of the way... thinking of putting a sign on it "IT DON'T BEND FOLKS" instead of constantly warning people, or saying watch out because THEY are not looking where they are going.

Where do I feel "normal" "independent" "freedom" ????????

ON MY RSV OF COURSE.

Sometimes I think I should call my quike "SANITY" and not Dotty because that's what it has become..... thanks to Quickstep and his support, and to some members on here, who helped with "bits" to set it up for me to carry my crutches when I ride.

I was raised to be respectful of others less fortunate, not to stare at peole with disabilities, and to remember:

"There, but for the grace of GOD go me or mine"

Sometimes when I feel bad all it takes is a short ride and I usually feel better. I can't explain it, maybe it's the vibration, who knows but it sounds like it works for a few of us.

Great post, it should be required reading for everyone.

John :97:

YEP, it's the gentle vibration, works similar to a TENS unit, which gives a constant electric current to ease the pain.

Most folk think you are just full of it when you say it though.

I was hot when I read that other post as well! This is the response that I put there:

I was on disability for almost two and a half years with a back injury from my job at UPS. I couldn't lift more than 10 pounds without sever pain. I couldn't drive or ride in a car for more than 15 minutes without sever pain. I couldn't walk through the grocery store without a cart to hold onto without sever pain and for a while I had to use the electric cart. The only means of transportation that did not hurt was my '86 Venture, even my '97 Intruder (although better than a car) was not as good. I made sure that my doctor, my employer and anyone else knew that is why I was still riding and why. I could ride for hours without pain; I guess because the seating is so upright and ergonomically correct.

The girl on the sporty was not riding a "heavy" bike, it is probably around 550 or so.. That bike weighs a lot less than our 835+lb bikes. And you aren't lifting all that weight off of the side stand (or "Jiffy Stand" :rotf:).

I don't get on a tirade often, but you need to think before you leap! My father uses a handicap sticker for parking although he seems fine, but he is 91 years old and has a hard time walking far.

I guess because the seating is so upright and ergonomically correct.

I also talked to my Doctor and Surgeon about it and that's what they said to me also. My Surgeon told me "By all means ride it" said it was good therapy, and would get me moving around. Just told me if I drop it not to try and pick it back up. Got to follow Doctors orders don't I?

I did not see the other thread referred to by ic23b, did it get deleted?

I am also a disabled vet. Both my knee and my back are service conected. I had a 1984 Honda 650 Nighthawk and could not ride for very long. After getting the Venture last year, I can ride much mor comfortably. Both my back and knee don't bother me while riding. Both do in a car or pick up.

I am still waiting for a bit warmer weather and then watch out! Doreen & I will be putting a bunch of miles the '84.

Dave

I'll add my .02 cents . I have a disability as well . Broken right hand , Fusion L5/S1 , and Vascular Necrosis of both hips at which need to be replaced along with some Arthritis in all stated locations . My scoots seat is more comfortable than my recliner . Riding my scoot is like therapy to me . Riding my scoot lets me enjoy myself and take the care of pain away. If others do not understand this , well that's their loss and a few over the "R" rated words to go along with it . Just because I feel pain 24/7 , doesn't mean I'm going to become a porch dog .

Oh did I mention I'm SPECIAL too ? Is there a :223: in the house ?:bighug:

BEER30

Well they almost got it right. It's not disabled people who shouldn't ride it's stupid people who shouldn't be allowed to ride motorcycles. Or drive cars for that matter.

Mike:cool10:

"Jackson was already out of work and on disability because of a back injury."

And they wonder why insurance premiums are so high already. Betcha if the insurance company or maybe even worker's comp gets ahold of this, they will sue for payments received if the lady is receiving disability benefits.

On disability means you ain't riding bikes. If you can ride a bike, you can work even in a limited capacity.

I understand what the thread started out as and for the most part stayed with. The above post is what set me off. I'm sure it wasn't met as it sounds and I should of thought about it longer before I posted and keep my thoughts to myself. Like I said it hit home. No harm done and it's time to put it to rest.

I think maybe the original poster was thinking "what is a person doing collecting disability if they can ride a motorcycle, they should be able to work".

I guess he just doesn't realize that riding a couple of hours and working an 8 hr day, day in day out are two different things.:2cents:

Also to add . When I was diagnosed with my hip problems , I owned horses . My Dr. stated that it was OK to ride my horses . He had no problem with the fact that I ride , he was only concerned on how I mounted them . Same here with the scoot . People should mind there own business unless they KNOW all the facts concerning that individual conditions . People have various types of conditions that deem them handicapped , some are visible , some are not in the eyes of the public . So who is the fool that barks in the silence of night ?

BEER30

"Jackson was already out of work and on disability because of a back injury."

...................................................................................................

On disability means you ain't riding bikes. If you can ride a bike, you can work even in a limited capacity.

I understand what the thread started out as and for the most part stayed with. The above post is what set me off. I'm sure it wasn't met as it sounds and I should of thought about it longer before I posted and keep my thoughts to myself. Like I said it hit home. No harm done and it's time to put it to rest.

I wanted to keep working, but UPS has a rule that you can only have 30 working days on TDY. My manager even tried to have them let me ride my route with a new driver so I could teach him the route but they said "NO!".

And as I said in my post, I always let everyone know that I was riding my bike because it was the only comfortable transportation for me.

based on two new knees (limited walking endurance) and my hearing (not on what is heard with aids but without). And I have a handicap parking plate and stickers in my car and on the 86 VR. I seldom use handicaps though, but with my gray hair few have given me any negatives. Lucky I guess.

And I agree with all handicaps who ride, ... it is the ONLY time I feel ageless, in other words , ... y o u n g!!

So ... let's all go for the gold! Ride up and happy and long and hard and safe!~

JackZ

:thumbsup2::big-grin-emoticon: