IGNORED

Wolo Horn Problem

T.J.

I purchased a Wolo Horn last summer and installed it with no problem. About two weeks ago I took a ride on a nice day here in Michigan :banana: and for the fun of it tooted the horn, but no sound. :confused07: Got back to the shop and parked it. This past Saturday I started checking the wiring and all was good. Took the horn apart and found a electric motor and points. Cleaned it all up and put it back together and still no toot. Took it back apart and found a plastic impeller down inside that the motor turns. You could not turn the impeller by hand very easy. Cleaned it out in the wash tank, W-D 40 it and it still would not turn freely. Could not get it to work. It is sealed in that area so you can't get to it.

I am going to try a Stabel Horn this time and see if it lasts longer.

Anyone else had this trouble?

I have only had mine sense Dec. so will be no help, but it is still working great at this time....

It will scare the Blue hair right off an Old Lady!!:rotfl:

I purchased a Wolo Horn last summer and installed it with no problem. About two weeks ago I took a ride on a nice day here in Michigan :banana: and for the fun of it tooted the horn, but no sound. :confused07: Got back to the shop and parked it. This past Saturday I started checking the wiring and all was good. Took the horn apart and found a electric motor and points. Cleaned it all up and put it back together and still no toot. Took it back apart and found a plastic impeller down inside that the motor turns. You could not turn the impeller by hand very easy. Cleaned it out in the wash tank, W-D 40 it and it still would not turn freely. Could not get it to work. It is sealed in that area so you can't get to it.

Anyone else had this trouble?

In the instructions for the Stebel, it talks about mounting it at a certain angle, to prevent water from going in and staying in. The horns are also able to be separated into 2 pieces (with a hose between them), so that the compressor part can be somewhere warm and dry and the horn part is out where it can be heard.

Depending on where or how yours was mounted, it could have taken in moisture that damaged it. Mounted vertically, like with Carbon One's bracket, is the recommended position by Stebel.

If yours was mounted that way and still had a problem, I'd guess it was a manufacturing defect and recommend contacting Wolo to see if they'll replace it. Never hurts to try.

:)

All air horns are subject to problems from crud that gets sucked into them - can jam the motor or get stuck in the horn reeds. As already noted above, the Stebel horn has detailed information about how the horn must be mounted and protected for this - even comes with a short tube to route the air intake to a safer point if needed. I do not think the Wolo even mentions it. I have had the Wolo copy of the Stebel on for a long time without problems, but I have had other air horns ruined by this same thing. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I purchased a Wolo Horn last summer and installed it with no problem.

[snip]

the Wolo and Stable horns come out of the SAME factory!!!!! just different treatment and packaging.

The Wolo and the compact nautilus from Stebel look like twins. Do they come from the same manufacturer?

They come from the same factory. they are mechanically the same.

If yours was mounted that way and still had a problem, I'd guess it was a manufacturing defect and recommend contacting Wolo to see if they'll replace it. Never hurts to try.

:)

That's the way I had it mounted. I have already taken it apart and messed with it so I don't think they would do anything now. The Stabel should be here tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.:thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...
Wolo or Stebel Air Horn--which one comes ALL CHROME?? I currently have the Stebel and love it but after attending the North Georgia MD and saw one that was all chrome I have to have one. Who has the best price?:mo money:

It is the WOLO, got it at Harbor Freight.

If you had a pair of Squidleys driving light mounts, the wolo or the Stebel will mount right up to it and face the horn towards the front where it needs to point. Had mine on in that position for 2 years now with no problem. Matter of fact, I like to scare old ladies just to make sure it works and they are alert!

Also found it here a little bit cheaper

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-Model-519-Chrome-Design/dp/B000PWZR4C]Amazon.com: Wolo Model 519 Bad Boy Chrome One Piece Design Air Horn Kit - 12 Volt: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Qby4E4HEL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Qby4E4HEL[/ame]

Got mine from Harbor Freight 3 years ago and still working great. Did run into a problem when I first installed it. Seems like on the bottom of the horn the connectors were marked + and -. When I connected them I got no sound. So I took it back and exchanged thinking it was defective. Got the new one home and same problem, no sound. Then for some reason I decided to put positive on negative and negative on positive. Bingo!!! It worked great and still working. Been in rain, blowing dirt still working.

Just my :2cents:.