IGNORED

Virago question

6m459

Hi

I am going to look at an '87 Virago 1100, with 150kM / 93k miles, on Thurdsay evening.

It sounds like a bargain, even despite its age, mileage and some mechanical issures. I just can't resist, even though I already have more bikes than I can afford to put on the road.

I understand that the bike is aflicted with a starter problem common to the breed and that at present the starter does not engage at all.

Also the bike has been in storage for a year or so and has no gas or oil in it at present.

I am prepared for the fact that the bike needs some work but I would like to assure myself at the very least, that the engine is not siezed.

What is the easiest way to do that at a pre sale inspection on someone elses turf when the starter is not available?

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad39/UxHamby/Virago1100/c1e731a4.jpg

I am thinking that I could pull an engine cover to expose the end of the crank and then turn it with a socket wrench or I could get the bike rolling in an upper gear and pop the clutch and judge if it stops too quickly. Neither of these seem particularly doable away from home turf.

If I put the bike on its centre stand, should I be able to turn the rear wheel by hand in an upper gear?

Suggestions, advice, experience?

Thanks,

Brian H.

I am thinking that I could pull an engine cover to expose the end of the crank and then turn it with a socket wrench

:sign yeah that:

Remove the cover from the left side case. (Three Phillips head screws)

Remove the 17mm crank access cover. Be sure to turn it counter-clockwise.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m7892sch219244

Basically roll it over as if setting the valves.

The best permanent fix for the 1st gen starter issue is to replace the side covers with 2nd gen ones which will allow the newer starter to be used. All the details you will need can be found at http://viragotechforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4739&highlight=permanent+starter+fix . That said, the 2nd gens do not have the same grinding starter issue and work great. The 87 is a 2nd gen Virago so whatever issue it has should not be the "well known" Virago starter hoo-haw.

Also the bike has been in storage for a year or so and has no gas or oil in it at present.

I am prepared for the fact that the bike needs some work but I would like to assure myself at the very least, that the engine is not siezed.

With no oil in it I wouldn't try to crank it at all. How long as it been without oil?

I would say if you do want to turn it by hand, take out the plugs and put some oil down there but if it sat in storage for a year without oil, be prepared for a complete overhaul, rings and all... Just my :2cents:

Thanks!

This sounds like what I needed to know.

Also did a comparison with pricing on the ViragoTech forum's classifieds. The bike I am looking at still seems like a deal.

Cheers,

Brian H.

:sign yeah that:

Remove the cover from the left side case. (Three Phillips head screws)

Remove the 17mm crank access cover. Be sure to turn it counter-clockwise.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/showschematic/m7892sch219244

Basically roll it over as if setting the valves.

The best permanent fix for the 1st gen starter issue is to replace the side covers with 2nd gen ones which will allow the newer starter to be used. All the details you will need can be found at http://viragotechforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4739&highlight=permanent+starter+fix . That said, the 2nd gens do not have the same grinding starter issue and work great. The 87 is a 2nd gen Virago so whatever issue it has should not be the "well known" Virago starter hoo-haw.

The virago is an easier bike to work on. When I had my '94 XV750, I pulled all the emission crap off and plugged the cylinders by tapping the holes and screwing in short, chromed allen key bolts.

If you do decide to get the bike, I have some parts remaining from my old one (most years/sizes have interchangeable parts). I also have a repair manual I'll sell to you for a good price.

EDIT: My virago didn't have the starter problem and it had 94,000 miles on it. The only problem that I think would be too much to deal with would be the possibility of a leaking/low compression on a cylinder. The carbs are too hard (hardest part is the removal/install). The bike is cake to work on compared to the intricacy of the VR.

I decided not to proceed with this bike purchase on the basis that I already have 3 bikes and have lost my winter storage after this spring.

It took some serious soul searching but I think its for the best.

Thanks for all the good ideas and advice.

Brian H.

The virago is an easier bike to work on. When I had my '94 XV750, I pulled all the emission crap off and plugged the cylinders by tapping the holes and screwing in short, chromed allen key bolts.

If you do decide to get the bike, I have some parts remaining from my old one (most years/sizes have interchangeable parts). I also have a repair manual I'll sell to you for a good price.

EDIT: My virago didn't have the starter problem and it had 94,000 miles on it. The only problem that I think would be too much to deal with would be the possibility of a leaking/low compression on a cylinder. The carbs are too hard (hardest part is the removal/install). The bike is cake to work on compared to the intricacy of the VR.

Sent you a pm