IGNORED

A different request

Squidley

Just a caveat about Henckels and a few other knife brands: they make both cheap and good knives.

Henckels has a few different knife lines, some much better than others. The cheaper ones are no better than any other cheap knife. The more expensive ones are great.

Also, the best prices I found were on eBay. The knife set we have was about $400 at local stores and Amazon. We got the same set (new) for just under $200 from a high-volume eBay seller. Because I'm paranoid, I compared the box and the knives I got to the same set at a local store (Bed Bath & Beyond) and confirmed that they're identical.

I understand that Chicago Cutlery is not considered a 'high end' knife set but I've had a set of 8 knives , storage block and steel since early 1980's and they do everything I need. As a matter of fact, I buy beef loins and cut my own steaks and have for many years and have yet to use all of the knives. There are a couple that just never get used.

Ok - I just went to Amazon.com and found the set I have [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery-Walnut-Tradition-10-Piece/dp/B00005AM7T/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1268848361&sr=1-12]Amazon.com: Chicago Cutlery Walnut Tradition 10-Piece Knife Set with Block: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41EojXiCxtL.@@AMEPARAM@@41EojXiCxtL[/ame] - the difference is the storage block, mine is not angled, it's straight vertical.

I know I paid more when I bought them because Gore hadn't invented the internet yet.

I'll second that.

The Cutco knifes are fabulous! The manufacturing of them details the metalurgical excellence of these knifes designed for a lifetime.

They are scary sharp, tho... The handles are really unique to the hand, and they

come in at least two colors, pearl and tortoise.

http://www.cutco.com/home.jsp

Don't be fooled by cheap imitations of them...

I was going to mention Cutco as well, they are world famous, perhaps the best knifes in the world. Thry have a patented process for honing the edge and are razor sharp and stay that way. Lifetime guarantee. Made in Olean, NY about 30 miles from here. We have a set and love them. But, they may be just lout of your price range as a starter set goes for more like $400, and it is easy to spend $1000 with add ons...

I have spent money on knives in the past and believe it was a waste. I have found that a fishing filet knife from Walmart and some off the shelf sets work great as long as you keep them sharp. Best knife I have my dad made from a industrial saw blade. The ability to sharpen the knife is the key IMHO. None of those stay sharp pieces of crap.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: And I have some Buck knives that have skinned, cut and boned more deer than I can count, and are VERY, VERY sharp. Wife refuses to use them, says they are TO sharp.

Bryan

OK.....I have chcked over some knife sets, and the question I have about Henckels is why so much of a price difference for the same piece set, with a different name? The price for one is 149.00 and the other is 499.00.....what is the differance....is it the steel, or the balance, or the workmanship?

I have found a set of Calphalon knives I like, and I'm surprized no one mentioned these or Wusthof:confused24: Thanks for the input, and keep it up! I want to hear more!!

Lonna & Squid,

As someone who used to be in the Business. You will always get what you pay for in Henkels & Wusthof. But do not use plastic cutting boards (wood only) and don't wash them in the dishwasher.

All good info so far. Henkels, Wustof, Chicago, or maybe even Victorinox, Horschner, F.Dick, which are pro style knives.

Almost any good quality knives will do as well as some cheap ones. We were given a set of cheap knives when we got married 40 years ago and they are still being used today, so price may not have as much to do with the issue as maybe they user.

Keep your knives in a wood block, never wash in the dishwasher (they bang around too much), don't cut on anything else but wood, don't cut on anything else but wood, use the knive, wash the knive and then put it away. Do not lay it on the counter or behind the sink. When sharping it with a steel, less is more, more edges are lost do to over stropping on a steel, than what help might have been gained.

Fingers are nicked and lost more to dull knives than to sharp ones. A sharp knife will cut where you intended it to cut, but a dull knife will cause you to exert extra pressure and then have it shoot through.

Hope you don't get tooooo confused.

Carl

I've used the same set of Chicago Cutlery for 25 years. Good sturdy knives that can take a lot of use. They need to be sharpened more often that a higher end set, but they work fine for me. That being said, do the research and buy what you want. If you have to save for a few years to get the set you want, it'll be worth it in the long run.

I cast my vote for Chicago Cutlery also. They are much cheaper than the top end knives and do an excellent job for home use. I bought a good electric sharpener to set down next to the knife block and just run the blades through that every so often. I used to spend money on higher end stuff, but these knives are a bargain. I've had mine for years and years and they are still doing a great job, and didn't cost no $300.00 either.

All good info so far. Henkels, Wustof, Chicago, or maybe even Victorinox, Horschner, F.Dick, which are pro style knives.

Almost any good quality knives will do as well as some cheap ones. We were given a set of cheap knives when we got married 40 years ago and they are still being used today, so price may not have as much to do with the issue as maybe they user.

Keep your knives in a wood block, never wash in the dishwasher (they bang around too much), don't cut on anything else but wood, don't cut on anything else but wood, use the knive, wash the knive and then put it away. Do not lay it on the counter or behind the sink. When sharping it with a steel, less is more, more edges are lost do to over stropping on a steel, than what help might have been gained.

Fingers are nicked and lost more to dull knives than to sharp ones. A sharp knife will cut where you intended it to cut, but a dull knife will cause you to exert extra pressure and then have it shoot through.

Hope you don't get tooooo confused.

Carl

:sign yeah that:

Thanks for all the info folks, I am going to send an email to some of the top line mfgrs and ask what actually is the difference in there bottom line knives as apposed to the top line ones. We went out looking today and found Henkles and Wustof's @ Sears and Pennys for around $100....made in China, along with the Chicago cutlery. I dont necessarily want to buy knives made in China, I dont want to ever buy another set of knives again after these ones. Keep the comments coming, I'm learning a lot about knives that I didn't know

:)

We have the Henkels Pro S, great knives and you should be able to get a set at Bed Bath and beyond in your price range, they always have 20% off coupons, boy how "gay" did that sound! "Not that there is anything wrong with that":crackup::crackup:

We have the Henkels Pro S, great knives and you should be able to get a set at Bed Bath and beyond in your price range, they always have 20% off coupons, boy how "gay" did that sound! "Not that there is anything wrong with that":crackup::crackup:

Yup, it did sound a little Gay. But i love that place and I'm not gay either!!!!. :whistling: Thats where i get my coffee mugs you always see me with.:crackup::crackup:

Among the many hats I've worn in the past was a rep for a couple of knife company's. Basically all knives are good for something. The rule of thumb is the ability to hold an edge is based on the Rockwell hardness of the blade. 57-58 is a good hardness. Hard enough to hold an edge, but still able to get an edge with a little sweat equity. Lower Rockwell's will sharpen easier but will also loose their edge very quickly. Higher Rockwell's will hold the edge but are brittle. Blade material can range from a very high carbon steel which will hold a decent edge but will rust very quickly without proper care and daily use, to stainless steels which will withstand rust, depending on the grade, but will still stain depending on the grade and carbon content. So it's basically a balancing act as to what you want to use the knife for, and how much you're willing to pay. Recently the industry has come out with a new material. Ceramic. Supposed to hold an edge just about forever, but so far I haven't really looked into them, or read any feedback on them to form an opinion. My mind keeps telling me they'd be brittle, and might not take an edge if resharpening is neccessary. Been thinking about picking up one to give it a try. :backinmyday:

Yup, it did sound a little Gay. But i love that place and I'm not gay either!!!!. :whistling: Thats where i get my coffee mugs you always see me with.:crackup::crackup:

Yep nobody ever accused me of being a shopper, but I dont mind walking around that place with Kim, :mo money: Craig

• 1 month later...