IGNORED

Leather or fabric???

Mel

I'm going to have to buy riding gear for my new passenger and will probably get something new for myself. I have a leather jacket and chaps. The jacket is too heavy for summer. Neither give good rain protection. I'm wondering about your opinions on the differences between leather and some of the fabric garments available concerning protection, comfort, warmth and cooling, weight, etc.

Mel:Venture:

UPDATE: I have ordered Scorpion Hat Trick jackets from MOTORCYCLE-SUPERSTORE.COM---MSRP $229, I ordered Black/blue on sale @$149 with free shipping. I made my decision after visiting two dealers, trying on different jackets and comparing features, quality, price,etc. These jackets are three layers with the inner two able to be individually removed. FWIW

Edited by Mel
Update

I don't know if this will be of interest at all, but what the hey...

Irene and I wear kevlar lined jeans. I like the Diamond Gusset brand best, though there are also Sliders and Draggin Jeans - all three with different cuts. The Diamond Gussets are the most comfortable, Sliders are kind of baggy, Draggins are more of a traditional jean cut that are a bit lower in the hip. All the protection of leather chaps (and more) without the fashion statement.

We also have kevlar shirts from the Draggin Jeans company that we wear in the summer. Ours are the natural color. The shirts really suck as a fashion statement, but they're mesh, cool, and highly abrasion resistant. They even have places to attach armor, though we don't have that. When it's really hot we pour water over them and get a very nice evaporative cooling effect. The water works best with a t-shirt under the kevlar.

We have rain suits we carry in a trunk bag.

We still have leather jackets, and will probably eventually change to fabric jackets, but the kevlar stuff gets worn every ride.

We have been using the Tourmaster Transition riding jacket for a couple years and just love it. Find it very comfortable and easy to move in, waterproof with good venting system, removable padding and zip out liners. Rode days in hard rain keeping dry and comfortable as textile breathes. Will never buy another set of leathers. As far as I'm concerned textile is the way to go. Got mine at www.leatherup.com for a good price :thumbsup2:

I use textile.

I have both winter and summer jackets as I can't find one that really works for both. I have the Tourmaster Transition II for winter...very nice jacket for up to about 75F. I have a Firstgear Mesh-Tex for summer.

BTW, heres a great deal on the mesh jacket if you need one.

http://www.jakewilson.com/productDetail.do?&navType=closeout&webTypeId=310&prodFamilyId=26587&webCatId=34&navTitle=Motorcycle%20Apparel&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Mar2010SpringSpecials

Guest seuadr

i use textile. i've had a tourmaster jacket which was fantastic in the rain, and i currently have a joe rocket jacket which has alot more vents and a liner. it's suitable for warm weather, with 8 vents. I put on a thermal and/or a windbreaker underneith when the weather turns cold. i also have tourmaster pants, for colder weather, and joe rocket mesh pants for warm weather. i personally love textile's versitality and the fact that 99% of water is stopped is also a big bonus.:2cents:

I have the Motoport/Cycleport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket & the Air Mesh Kevlar Pant & love them both. They're good year round. For summer, just take out the liners & you have all the breeze you could ever want. I recently had a problem with the right leg zipper of the pants liner after 3 years. I sent it back to them for repair & they fixed it & sent it back to me at no charge in less than 2 weeks. How's that for service?!?! I'll never go back to leather, either. :2cents:

http://www.motoport.com/images/ultra2lge.jpg

http://www.motoport.com/images/am-kev-pant-lge.JPGfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Bob/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Bob/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

Last summer before my ~5k trip I bought myself and my girlfriend (since she was coming with -- and I got a tremendous deal for buying both at the same time) Olympia Airglide 2 Jackets. I have been VERY impressed with the temperature range of the jacket. It has a mesh outer (with armor) and a waterproof inner liner (removable and can be worn separately). I have ridden in 100+ degree weather (when it was warm anyways, but still OKay considering it was 100+) and down in the 20s - with that said, riding in the 90s the jacket is still quite comfortable, without the lining of course. I'll be honest to say that it was a little chilly in the 20s, but I think a sweatshirt would have cured that. I have also been cought in the rain a few times and I was quite pleased with the waterproof-ness of the jacket. There is a nice and soft padded neck velcro system that allows one to seal out the top and there are adjustments under the arms and around the waist for added customization of fit. Bottom line, my torso stayed dry (even when stopping and getting rained on).

I have not crash tested the jacket yet, but from what I read about them they were on par with the other armored jackets out there.

We tried on several different kinds and we found that nothing compared to the comfort of these (with and without the liner).

They also make pants that zip up into the jacket for added weather and crash protection, however I do not have the pants yet. I have been torn between getting a good pair of chaps or going with the matching pants and still have yet to make up my mind.

Another feature that I found VERY attractive for these jackets is that they were one of the only ones that I could find that came in colors other than Black. For example:

http://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0012/0070/Olympia_Airglide_2_Jacket_Neon_Yellow_zoom.jpg

I went with the silver jackets (because I got a better deal on them) but they are still very visible at night and in the rain. :smile5:

I have been meaning to write a review on the jackets for everyone else up here, but I wanted to wait until I got through the seasons first.

Hope this was helpful :happy34:

I have attached a few pictures of the silver jackets, so you can see what they look like too (front and back).

By the way, I am in no way shape or form affiliated with Olympia - other than being a satisfied customer.

We have been using the Tourmaster Transition riding jacket for a couple years and just love it. Find it very comfortable and easy to move in, waterproof with good venting system, removable padding and zip out liners. Rode days in hard rain keeping dry and comfortable as textile breathes. Will never buy another set of leathers. As far as I'm concerned textile is the way to go. Got mine at www.leatherup.com for a good price :thumbsup2:

Tourmaster can be purchased at many sites and they make AWSOME stuff. Last summer riding with my old HD friends and every time it rained or stopped raining it was like the Barbie Wardrobe & Fashion Change Show,,, while I sat there with a BIG SMILE (Cool, Warm, Dry, Whatever in my Tourmaster Jacket and Pants) not to mention less weight than leather

:innocent-emoticon:

Last summer before my ~5k trip I bought myself and my girlfriend (since she was coming with -- and I got a tremendous deal for buying both at the same time) Olympia Airglide 2 Jackets. I have been VERY impressed with the temperature range of the jacket. It has a mesh outer (with armor) and a waterproof inner liner (removable and can be worn separately). I have ridden in 100+ degree weather (when it was warm anyways, but still OKay considering it was 100+) and down in the 20s - with that said, riding in the 90s the jacket is still quite comfortable, without the lining of course. I'll be honest to say that it was a little chilly in the 20s, but I think a sweatshirt would have cured that. I have also been cought in the rain a few times and I was quite pleased with the waterproof-ness of the jacket. There is a nice and soft padded neck velcro system that allows one to seal out the top and there are adjustments under the arms and around the waist for added customization of fit. Bottom line, my torso stayed dry (even when stopping and getting rained on).

I have not crash tested the jacket yet, but from what I read about them they were on par with the other armored jackets out there.

We tried on several different kinds and we found that nothing compared to the comfort of these (with and without the liner).

They also make pants that zip up into the jacket for added weather and crash protection, however I do not have the pants yet. I have been torn between getting a good pair of chaps or going with the matching pants and still have yet to make up my mind.

Another feature that I found VERY attractive for these jackets is that they were one of the only ones that I could find that came in colors other than Black. For example:

http://www.revzilla.com/product_images/0012/0070/Olympia_Airglide_2_Jacket_Neon_Yellow_zoom.jpg

I went with the silver jackets (because I got a better deal on them) but they are still very visible at night and in the rain. :smile5:

I have been meaning to write a review on the jackets for everyone else up here, but I wanted to wait until I got through the seasons first.

I have attached a few pictures of the silver jackets, so you can see what they look like too (front and back).

By the way, I am in no way shape or form affiliated with Olympia - other than being a satisfied customer.

+1 on the Olympia jacket. Wife and I have 'em and the airglide pants as well. Really great 3 season gear. With the liners (included) installed they are comfortable down into 50's/upper 40's. Without the liners I've been comfortable going down the road at 97F AND you still have the advantages of some armour protection in the event of a worst case. I also use the Olympia AST (All season touring) during COLD weather, along with the Ranger pants. Comfortable down into the teens. AND, with these jackets in HiViz the cagers WILL see you!!!:innocent-emoticon:

Great thread!!!!

Love the links also.

I'm still in leather but my passenger is wearing Joe Rocket.

I'm not sure I would wear this stuff in hot weather, think it's a mental thing.

Might wear the jeans and shirt stuff though.

Still very interesting.

BOO

I haven't bought the pants yet, I have the Tourmaster Intake Air II jacket and love it!

It has two zip out liners; one for rain protection and one insulated one. It can be worn with either, both or none. IMHO in the Mississippi summer wearing it, with both liners out, is cooler than just a tee shirt. To me it is good in cooler temps down to 45F. Layer a regular wind breaker under it and it is comfortable on short rides in the 20s. I got the white ones as they are easier to see. They all have reflective piping on most of the seams , and a reflective patch on the back.

Here's the navigator putting her's on, mine is hanging on the windshield.

+1 on the Olympia jacket. ...

+2 on the olympia. I have been wearing mine for about 5 years now and it is still in great shape. I always wear it even in the hotest summer heat. I can wear long johns and a sweater and I am can ride down as low as 28F to 30F.

But if I were in the market today I would consider the Tourmaster Flex Series 2 Jacket. It is cheaper and is a 3 layer jacket instead of a 2 layer jacket. In addition to the inner insulating liner and Mesh Jacket with armor, it has an outer textile layer that zips on easily and I believe it would allow me to ride well into the 20's.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31xcLX08MdL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Might wear the jeans and shirt stuff though.

Irene and I wore our kevlar shirts out to Ft. Collins for the International. We went across So. Dakota to hit the Beartooth on the way. Serious sunshine. 100+ in the Badlands. I got a slight sun burn right through the shirt. Lots of fine polka dots on the tops of my arms, and across the top of my chest and shoulders because of the mesh. That was weird. I didn't think it was see-through, but the sun sure did. Nice breeze right through the shirt too.

It would seem women are more sensitive to this sort of thing. Irene took one look at the shirts when I bought 'em and has always worn a t-shirt under hers. I do too, when it's really hot. The combination holds water a lot longer than the mesh alone. It stays cooler longer.

Actually the big trick is to not use chilled water. Room temp is fine. Chilled is way too much of a shock at first. Straight tap water is like air conditioning once we're rolling. We fill up empty water bottles at rest areas and gas breaks just for this. We drink the chilled and pour on the warm. Top off the bottles and head out. She even pours water over my shoulders and arms while we're riding.

I also wear mine under a shirt on cooler days to take advantage of the insulating factor the mesh represents. It's ugly with a capital F, but I love the thing.

Good God! Looks like you rode through Kansas!

I've seen this debated on many sites for a long time and there are people that will argue both ways. In my opinion only, QUALITY leather gear offers better protection. I just don't think that any of the Kevlar or other choices offer as much abrasion resistance. That is just my opinion though and my preference due to weight, comfort, etc. is textile.

I have always wore leather. I agree with abrasive part. One of our sons gave me a fieldsheer textile long coat with armour and a liner. I am more of a jacket type person. But I think I am going to start wearing it to work in the morning. It should be warmer and with the lining taken out on the way home should be ok when it is warmer. Just hard to give up my leather. Mary has been looking at the textile's for a while. She is do for a new set and she like the different styles so maybe we will make a change and see how they feel. Comfort is important.

Edited by OutlawRider